Which team do you MOST want to see get the #1 pick? (Pick 3)

Which team do you MOST want to see get the #1 pick? (Pick 3)

• Total voters

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Leafs seem to be the obvious choice. Fans crave trades and there would certainly be trades should the Leafs get Laf.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs seem to be the obvious choice. Fans crave trades and there would certainly be trades should the Leafs get Laf.
Even if that happened let's remember the 1st overall pick has not been traded since 2003. So does Kyle Dubas want to be the GM who starts that trend once again?

In fact in the last GM to trade the 1st overall pick was Rick Dudley and it's something he did with the Panthers in 2002 and 2003.

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
Even if that happened let's remember the 1st overall pick has not been traded since 2003. So does Kyle Dubas want to be the GM who starts that trend once again?

In fact in the last GM to trade the 1st overall pick was Rick Dudley and it's something he did with the Panthers in 2002 and 2003.
Why assume they trade the 1st? That makes no sense, Laf would be a key player on a 900k contract for the next years.. The trade would be a forward that's already being payed for a defender.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

I was thinking more about Marner

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I'm a Habs fan, but putting that aside, I would say Minnesota, Nashville and Arizona. They're all 3 teams that I think would benefit a lot from having a star forward. I also don't really dislike anything about these teams either. Minnesota has amazing fans that would go crazy for Laf. Nashville could use a high caliber star forward (assuming Laf reaches his potential), and Arizona would finally have a (potential) franchise forward to build around (Hall is great, but I wouldn't say he's super marketable, I guess).

I would have said Vancouver, but them losing to the Bruins in the SCF have made me hate them a little (not much, just a little), and I will never forgive them.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Why isn't Tampa on this list? were they not swept last season?
Because they're not a play-in team. They're guaranteed to make the playoffs 1st round.
Why assume they trade the 1st? That makes no sense, Laf would be a key player on a 900k contract for the next years.. The trade would be a forward that's already being payed for a defender.
Isn't the cap hit of a 1st overall pick close to 3.8M? Not that it changes much. Still cheap assuming he comes into the league and already plays 1st line caliber (even 2nd line caliber) hockey.

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
Because they're not a play-in team. They're guaranteed to make the playoffs 1st round.

Cap hit for a 1st overall pick is close to 3.8M, not 900k. Not that it changes much. Still cheap assuming he comes into the league and already plays 1st line caliber (even 2nd line caliber) hockey.
lmao sometimes my hate for Tampa corrupts my mind.

That can't be correct, rookies have been 900k forever, when did the nhl become the NBA?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Need some tissues for those tears? How is he content with losing when he said he wanted Edmonton to beat Chicago. Looks like reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Oooo, some backlash. Funny, i did acknowledge his desire for his team to win. I simply stated that he seems more than fine with his team losing if they so happen to get kicked out by Chicago in the QR. Looks like reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit.

I don’t need tissues for tears when I get to sit back and laughable look up north to see that nothing spectacular has happened after all of those top picks they’ve received over the years. The meltdown on HF would be justified, because everyone is tired that 40% of the last 1st OA’s have been by one team.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Voted Leafs (for so many reasons), then Columbus. I've developed a soft spot for Columbus as it's hard not to respect what they've done this year with a mind-boggling list of injuries. Last vote went to Arizona because why not, they could use the excitement

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
My bad, this actually has to do with performance bonuses, and it seems they're reached far less often than I thought.
All good,

Those are pretty rare, I do think i remember hearing Marner was close to a bonus and that's why his minutes were cut a few years ago but that was just a rumour i heard.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
bill-daly.jpg

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
What did they do to "deserve" a star player that Ottawa or Detroit didn't do?

Take a look at the roster weve iced for the last 25 years. Name me 1 forward outside of Kovaled who broke 80 points only once, that had « star » labell

detroit had datsyuk/zetterberg/lidstrom etc..

ott had karlsson/heatley/alfy/duchene... name it..

+ he is a hometown player from Quebec,

so YES, we deserve it more than anyone.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Take a look at the roster weve iced for the last 25 years. Name me 1 forward outside of Kovaled who broke 80 points only once, that had « star » labell

detroit had datsyuk/zetterberg/lidstrom etc..

ott had karlsson/heatley/alfy/duchene... name it..

+ he is a hometown player from Quebec,

so YES, we deserve it more than anyone.

This is ridiculous. By your logic since Detroit did well in drafting Datsyuk 171st, Z at 210 and Lidstrom at 53rd overall, we are less deserving at picking at 1st overall? Nonsense. Montreal doesn't "deserve" anything.

You guys got your lottery pick in 2018, not my fault you wasted it by reaching on positional need. You also had a top 3 pick in 2012 and wasted that one as well. Wings haven't picked top 3 in my entire life, and haven't picked 1st since 1986. Montreal picked 3rd in 2018 and 3rd in 2012, so you've had your chances in the top 3. Don't give me this "MTL deserves 1st overall" nonsense because you think it's fitting for the French Canadian stud to go to your team. It's not 1940, you should not get Laf just because he is a francophone.

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
This is ridiculous. By your logic since Detroit did well in drafting Datsyuk 171st, Z at 210 and Lidstrom at 53rd overall, we are less deserving at picking at 1st overall? Nonsense. Montreal doesn't "deserve" anything.

You guys got your lottery pick in 2018, not my fault you wasted it by reaching on positional need. You also had a top 3 pick in 2012 and wasted that one as well. Wings haven't picked top 3 in my entire life, and haven't picked 1st since 1986. Montreal picked 3rd in 2018 and 3rd in 2012, so you've had your chances in the top 3. Don't give me this "MTL deserves 1st overall" nonsense because you think it's fitting for the French Canadian stud to go to your team. It's not 1940, you should not get Laf just because he is a francophone.

your team was a top 3 seed for how many consecutive seasons? Whens the last time habs was a top seed? I haven’t witnessed it in my entire life. I dont care about what was done pre 1993. Since then, it’s been a shit show and we haven’t had a superstar and thats facts.I don’t care if your team was able to find gems with later picks, it still remains that those players were some of the best in the game. You don’t deserve shit either. I haven’t seen that kind of talent in mtl in my entire living and that’s 25 years.

if my team was able to find some 90+ pts players with late picks or have any chance at beating top teams in the playoffs without having to rely on plumbers overachieving i wouldn’t say shit but the fact that we haven’t had any kind of power up front in 25+ years is depressing and that’s why i am saying we deserve that kind of talent more than your team that have appeared in how many consecutive playoffs appearances in the last 3 decades?

Last edited:
Reactions: amnesiac

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Minnesota for obvious reasons.... but if not, then either Columbus or Carolina - keeps him out of the west. ;)

(Wanted to vote Pantehrs because of the spelling, but just couldn't do it)

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Voted leafs for giggles.

Minnesota and the Islanders were my other 2. Out of our division and neither will be a threat even with Lafreniere.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Voted for:
Jets
Canadians
Canucks

I'd be happy if my Jets got another great player, but if not Montreal would be a good story, and Vancouver adding another young stud to their core would make them a pretty promising team in the future.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
your team was a top 3 seed for how many consecutive seasons? Whens the last time habs was a top seed? I haven’t witnessed it in my entire life. I dont care about what was done pre 1993. Since then, it’s been a shit show and we haven’t had a superstar and thats facts.I don’t care if your team was able to find gems with later picks, it still remains that those players were some of the best in the game. You don’t deserve shit either. I haven’t seen that kind of talent in mtl in my entire living and that’s 25 years.

if my team was able to find some 90+ pts players with late picks or have any chance at beating top teams in the playoffs without having to rely on plumbers overachieving i wouldn’t say shit but the fact that we haven’t had any kind of power up front in 25+ years is depressing and that’s why i am saying we deserve that kind of talent more than your team that have appeared in how many consecutive playoffs appearances in the last 3 decades?

Lol ok man, you're right. The Wings drafted Datsyuk at 171st overall 22 YEARS AGO, so we don't deserve any high end talent ever again, got it!

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
Lol ok man, you're right. The Wings drafted Datsyuk at 171st overall 22 YEARS AGO, so we don't deserve any high end talent ever again, got it!
I didn’t say that. I was responding to your question asking why MTL deserves it more than your team and ott.

your team hasnt been stuck in mediocrity for the last 20 + years. Its been what, 4-5 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad