HF Habs: Which season would you have loved covering the team for?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I am currently reading the book Showtime which basically was a journalist that followed the Peterborough Petes during the 2012-13 season and had inside info on everything from A to Z, from the off-ice drama from intel on trades, etc.

That got me to think, which season would you have loved to have a book with such inside info?

Would it be the centennial season with all the drama?
Would it be our last cup win?
Would it be the season Roy got traded?
This season?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
2015-16

- Kassian accident before season
- Semin termination
- Price injury and the recovery debacle
- Subban behind the scenes drama
- Tinordi for Scott trade where if we knew the reasons, we'd understand the move.
- Subban trade where it makes our team better but cannot say why specifically.
- Why Therrien kept his job
- What major trade were Oilers/Habs discussing before they settled for Kassian for Scrivens.
- What bigger trade were Preds/Habs discussing before they settled for Subban for Weber.
- How close were we to signing Shipachyov before his KHL team stepped in.

This book would make for one hell of a read.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

76-77, when the team lost only 8 games, with Dick Irvin describing the play "on your radio dial, from left to right."

Bet you Elvis Gratton is replaying the season from his cassette player on some beach in Cuba, after he's finished getting through his Expos game recordings. :sarcasm:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
2015-16

- Semin termination
- Tinordi for Scott trade where if we knew the reasons, we'd understand the move.
- What major trade were Oilers/Habs discussing before they settled for Kassian for Scrivens.
- What bigger trade were Preds/Habs discussing before they settled for Subban for Weber.

Yep, even if you start from the previous off-season and see the trades that Bergy tried. Too bad we'll never get a book like that :cry:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
2015-16

- Semin termination

Did Bergevin say this? I don't recall that one.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Did Bergevin say this? I don't recall that one.

Yep. "The timing, that was the timing to make the trade with John Scott," Bergevin told reporters. "That has nothing to do with the Montreal Canadiens with the All-Star Game. I made a trade that at the time, I had to make that trade. I have a reason that I can't really tell you why, but if I could, you would probably understand."

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yep. "The timing, that was the timing to make the trade with John Scott," Bergevin told reporters. "That has nothing to do with the Montreal Canadiens with the All-Star Game. I made a trade that at the time, I had to make that trade. I have a reason that I can't really tell you why, but if I could, you would probably understand."

Thanks. Bergevin's go to obfuscation.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
There is two ways to interprete that statement: either the team knew Tinordi was taking some substances or the whole screwing over Scott for the all-star game conspiracy.

I think we can eliminate the second theory, since the Habs haven't received a thing for the Scott debacle, except a billion head shakes. The first is unproven speculation. Surely Tinordi had more value than Scott, who like Parros is an intelligent and likeable fellow. Just not useful in any way on the ice.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I think we can eliminate the second theory, since the Habs haven't received a thing for the Scott debacle, except a billion head shakes. The first is unproven speculation. Surely Tinordi had more value than Scott, who like Parros is an intelligent and likeable fellow. Just not useful in any way on the ice.
Did Tinordi ever play a memorable game with the Habs? I don't think so.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Tough to do when eating hot dogs in a luxury box most of the season. Tinordi didn't live up to expectations but hardly got sufficient opportunities in my book.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram

He had a few good scraps but aside from that....no not really.

Too bad i had some hope for the kid. Look like i was in the wrong. Doesn't look like he will blossom in Arizona either although that remain to be seen but at this point chance of him becoming a regular top 6 D in the NHL are getting slim.

Tough to do when eating hot dogs in a luxury box most of the season. Tinordi didn't live up to expectations but hardly got sufficient opportunities in my book.

That's a fair point. He never really had a real chance. As soon as he made a mistake he was benched and the next game he was in the press box. His development was FUBAR

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
The Habs have had quite a few of fantastic cup series. but to pick only one. for me has to be 1976, when the habs changed the entire NHL.
yes lost only 8 games all year but the thing i remember most was finally someone stood up to the broadstreet bullies and took them in 4 -0.
The fliers have won cups in a row by hurting and fighting and smashing.
the NHL was in danger of turning into a garage league of the worst kind.
Great hockey beat the on ice terrorists and the very next year the NHL was back to being a great league.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
It would be during the 70's dynasty, preferably the same as on with the NYE game versus the Soviet red Army. Here, you have two great teams going at it in a once in a lifetime type of spectacle.

I think as a reporter, you want to be around the team when things are going well, because when things are bad, you would probably feel it within the room, and those negative vibes cab rub off on you, plus, you're more likely to have grouchy sessions with the players.

I would want to be around good vibes, and a happy team to make my job easier and more positive. So I want no part of the centennial year or the season Roy was traded etc...

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
2016-2017 season
Title

"FIRED"

Or the '92-'93 season.
How many games were won in OT on the way to an unlikely Cup Championship?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad