HF Habs: Which season would you have loved covering the team for?

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
2015-16

- Kassian accident before season
- Semin termination
- Price injury and the recovery debacle
- Subban behind the scenes drama
- Tinordi for Scott trade where if we knew the reasons, we'd understand the move.
- Subban trade where it makes our team better but cannot say why specifically.
- Why Therrien kept his job
- What major trade were Oilers/Habs discussing before they settled for Kassian for Scrivens.
- What bigger trade were Preds/Habs discussing before they settled for Subban for Weber.
- How close were we to signing Shipachyov before his KHL team stepped in.

This book would make for one hell of a read.
This is all very bland compared to the history of the Canadiens.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Having lived through both the"Richard Riots" in Montreal, but being too young to recall as an adult, and the last season Jean Beliveau came back to snatch the SC from the Bobby Orr led Bruins was great! That next season after Maurice quelled the anger of fans that not only witnessed his loss of playoffs & losing the SC Final to Detroit due to his suspension. The Habs being in each SC Final that decade, Detroit winning 3 times, Toronto once, the Habs 6 times.

In truth the Habs & Maurice in particular were the epitome of hockey greatness in the 50's, 60's & 70's, which has led to NHL greatness, IMHO.But having witnessed most as an adult, going back to witness that 1955-1956 or 1956-1957(The team Jean Beliveau thought was the best he ever played on or seen.)would be my choices.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Having lived through both the"Richard Riots" in Montreal, but being too young to recall as an adult, and the last season Jean Beliveau came back to snatch the SC from the Bobby Orr led Bruins was great! That next season after Maurice quelled the anger of fans that not only witnessed his loss of playoffs & losing the SC Final to Detroit due to his suspension. The Habs being in each SC Final that decade, Detroit winning 3 times, Toronto once, the Habs 6 times.

In truth the Habs & Maurice in particular were the epitome of hockey greatness in the 50's, 60's & 70's, which has led to NHL greatness, IMHO.But having witnessed most as an adult, going back to witness that 1955-1956 or 1956-1957(The team Jean Beliveau thought was the best he ever played on or seen.)would be my choices.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Oh to be young again.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
The Centennial season, I still don't understand what went wrong that season.

Price got hurt sometime around December, and when he returned, I recall that he was not very good. The team also began to lose key players to injury, then the off ice circus was icing on the cake, and severe enough that Gainey decided to decimate the core.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
As a fan, I'd like to follow the '93 run I guess.

As a blood thirsty journalist - this past year's debacle or the centennial year debacle. The organization needs to learn some accountability!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
This is all very bland compared to the history of the Canadiens.

As rich as Habs' history is, this past season started with a franchise record-setting start. And that was followed by the worst collapse in the franchise's history. Add to that all the behind the scenes drama. That, to me, would make for a much more interesting read than any of the eras when Habs were winning nearly every year.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I have seen our last 6 Cups, but for me it is a tie between 1976 and 1993. In 1976 they had to upset the two cup champion Broadstreet Bullies and in 1993 they came out of nowhere to win that cup. Adding to 1993 is the winning of 10 straight OT games, unbelievable. Both cups were great fun to watch, and nerve racking. Would love to have been on board covering the team for either.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I have to go with 93, simply for the incredible playoff drama. 11 consecutive wins is an NHL record. 10 overtime wins is another record. Everything came together at the right time and despite not being the best version of the Habs ever, it was the most exciting playoffs for me.

Best moment ever for me was Lafleur's tying goal against the Bruins with seconds left.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
As rich as Habs' history is, this past season started with a franchise record-setting start. And that was followed by the worst collapse in the franchise's history. Add to that all the behind the scenes drama. That, to me, would make for a much more interesting read than any of the eras when Habs were winning nearly every year.

LOL worst season to follow in my 45 years as a fan ! First year ever i stopped watching every game after first period. During play off drive from March on watched other teams play meaning full good hockey.

btw ... "behind the scenes drama" is always there if you so choose to go looking for it. eg Knuckles Nilan, Corson, Lafleur, Pete Mahovlich, Chelios, Kordic, Roy, Burns, Larouche. Macniel and Richard . Saku coming back from cancer playing great. Dryden coming out of nowhere. Dryden taking a year off three years into a hall of fame career. Roy quitting. St Paddys day riots. Rocket suspended for play offs while on verge of winning his first regular season scoring title. Boom Boom Geffrion winning it and getting booed for passing the Rocket while he was suspended. Rocket punching out the ref in the first place. Habs taking on the broad street Bullies while Flyers were going for three-peat and all the behind the scenes crap with that all season long. Good Friday play off brawl. Nordiques Habs rivalries and hatred between coaches players and fans for 15 straight seasons. Rocket going on radio to ask fans to stop rioting in streets....and they did as he asked! Chelios rumors of sleeping with the Team Presidents' wife. Lafleurs exit in 84 while his former team mates/friends were coach and GM of the team.

All of those teams and seasons involved players who did not like each other, coaches who may be getting canned, GMs who were questioned, praised and ridiculed. Players who partied all night, players getting fined for being late, missing flights, fighting in practice, I could go on and on and on with the drama you find so interesting........with WINNING teams.

Ill take winning and drama VS stinking the league out and drama any day.

016 season ?? LMAO !!!! Out of the 116 seasons I would say 016 warrants votes for the LAST season worth covering.

This was the first season I even pondered who my second favorite team was. It was that uninteresting. IMO

Last edited:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I would probably go with

1992-1993 because of how interesting the playoffs run was
1976-1977 to see how the players prepared for games
1978-1979 because apparently things around the team starting unraveling in that season off ice
2011-12 because of the off ice drama such as coaches getting fired before games and players getting traded mid game. Honestly everything that happened that season sounds made up when you think about it, it was just too unimaginable.
2008-09 because of the off ice drama

I try to forget 2015-16 because it's not even interesting at all, it was just a depressing season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad