Which rookies look like a lock to have a roster spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Which rookies have come out and earned spots on your team? Who do you expect to stick all year?

For the Canucks, Tomas Mojzis has been the best prospect, but we have 7 NHL defenceman and Baumgartner as a fill in guy. He won't make the team. The extra forward could be a prospect, but is more likely grizzled vet Mike Keane's spot at this point.

So probably no Canuck rookies this year.

Anyway I want to use this thread as a way for us fans of the NHL to see how other team's prospects are doing and who is likely to make the team.

Thanks.

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Mike Komisarek Marcel Hossa and Jason Ward are Lock with the Habs.
Micheal Ryder will Probably make the team.
Ron Hainsey and Alexander Perezhogin could have a shot to make it.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
For the Blues its Peter Senja, he will be Weights left wing. John Pohl and Matt Walker are also pushing hard.

Mike Danton or Igor Valeev will get Tyson Nash's 4th line pest role

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
In Pittsburgh :
Locks : Brooks Orpik.
Making a strong case : Fleury, Armstrong, Koltsov, Lupaschuk.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Kubina_Fan said:
What about Scottie Upshall? I think he's about as close to a "lock" as you can get.
he hasn't had the best preseason, and i really think that he could use a little bit of time in milwaukee, with priority injury call up. there's a lot of competion for roster spots, and tootoo has outplayed him thus far. i'm thinking the two open roster spots will go to tootoo and erat.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Evilo said:
In Pittsburgh :
Locks : Brooks Orpik.
Making a strong case : Fleury, Armstrong, Koltsov, Lupaschuk.
Add Malone and Armstrong to the group making a strong case although they are quite likely to be sent back anyways.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
nomorekids said:
he hasn't had the best preseason, and i really think that he could use a little bit of time in milwaukee, with priority injury call up. there's a lot of competion for roster spots, and tootoo has outplayed him thus far. i'm thinking the two open roster spots will go to tootoo and erat.

nmk, what about shishkanov? i noticed he scored last night against chicago.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Zherdev, if MacLean gives enough ransom money to CSKA. Fritsche is making it hard for MacLean to send him back to juniors. Aaron Johnson will most likely be an injury call up toward the end of the season. Pascal Leclaire will probably get the call if Denis or Brathwaite gets injured during the season.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
#1GuinFan said:
Add Malone and Armstrong to the group making a strong case although they are quite likely to be sent back anyways.
Well Armstrong is already on my list :)
And Malone, though he's having a great camp, doesn't stand much of a chance to make it.
Otherwise I would have put Bissonnette, who's playing as the Pens #1 Dman thus far, but as an 18 year old, is probably one of the next cut.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i'd be very surprised if jeff jillson wasn't in a b's uniform on october 8th.

JasonMacIsaac

There is no locks on the devils roster, funny that Habs have 4 rookies as a lock and 2 that have a shot. I can't remember the last time 6 rookies made a team...lol loveable Habs

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Raffi Torres is a lock to make the Oilers because he has a one way contract.

For the Leafs, I'd consider Alexander Ponikarosvky a lock, with probably one of the rookie defenseman making it, either Hedin, Cola, Bell or Kondratiev.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
There is no locks on the devils roster, funny that Habs have 4 rookies as a lock and 2 that have a shot. I can't remember the last time 6 rookies made a team...lol loveable Habs

As it stands, there's only one lock: Jason Ward.

Komisarek is more or less a lock, but there's still an outside chance that he'll be sent down. Very doubtful, though.

Given Montreal's weak left side and Hossa's two seasons of pro, he should have a spot on the club.

Ryder has been the Habs' most impressive player throughout camp, for whatever that's worth -- even more praise than Komisarek or Higgins have received. He's been racking up points, playing strong along the boards, and has played under Claude Julien for a long time (both were in Hamilton, Julien coached him in Hull in the Q, Julien also brought him to the WJC). It wouldn't surprise me to see him make it.

Higgins, too, has a chance... I'd say it's 50/50 with him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the lineup by December though.

Hainsey is doubtful given the fact that Montreal already has 6 defensemen ahead of him, not counting Dykhuis/Traverse. (Markov, Souray, Rivet, Quintal, Brisebois, Komisarek... who sits in favour of Hainsey?)

Perezhogin has the slimmest chance of all players mentioned in my opinion. But he could challenge for a spot later in the season, especially when the inevitable injuries that will occur.

With players such as Czerkawski and McKay being cut loose, there is definitely the room to bring in so many youngsters. Also most all these youngsters are 21-23, so they've got more refined skills to make it pro than the average 18-20 year old rookies.

By December, don't be surprised to see 4-5 rookies on Montreal's roster. And that may be more of a testament to Montreal's weak roster than it does their prospect depth. :D

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Voodoo Daddy said:
nmk, what about shishkanov? i noticed he scored last night against chicago.
Shishkanov did score, but it was sort of a flukey goal. honestly, i've been a little disappointed in him, so far. he's got great wheels and stickhandling ability, but he seems to be floating a bit, and that won't fly with Trotz. I don't think he'll make the team this year, but Claude Noel is a good coach, and I think that he can complete his game in Milwaukee.

DW

May 3, 2003
MN
Visit site
There seems to be no locks yet for any Wild rookies. However, from all reports in the Wild camp, it seems Travis Roche is looking like he may make the club finally. Plus there is still lots of talk about Burns impressing the coaching staff. (By the way, Burns doesn't seem to be in the lineup for tonites game against the Rangers.)

CoolburnIsGone

Before offseason shoulder surgery, I would've said Lukas Krajicek but now it looks like no locks for any Panther rookies. Both Horton & Stewart are making their cases to make the big club (both scored their first goals against the Avs yesterday). Campbell, Novak & Nedorost are also injured for some parts of camp so they look also not to make the club to start the season (Nedorost will probably be called up after a short rehab stint). Taticek is also pushing for a spot on the big club but is not expected to make it. I expect San Antonio to have an amazingly talented roster and should contend for the Calder Cup next season.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Mike8 said:
As it stands, there's only one lock: Jason Ward.

Komisarek is more or less a lock, but there's still an outside chance that he'll be sent down. Very doubtful, though.

Given Montreal's weak left side and Hossa's two seasons of pro, he should have a spot on the club.

Ryder has been the Habs' most impressive player throughout camp, for whatever that's worth -- even more praise than Komisarek or Higgins have received. He's been racking up points, playing strong along the boards, and has played under Claude Julien for a long time (both were in Hamilton, Julien coached him in Hull in the Q, Julien also brought him to the WJC). It wouldn't surprise me to see him make it.

Higgins, too, has a chance... I'd say it's 50/50 with him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the lineup by December though.

Hainsey is doubtful given the fact that Montreal already has 6 defensemen ahead of him, not counting Dykhuis/Traverse. (Markov, Souray, Rivet, Quintal, Brisebois, Komisarek... who sits in favour of Hainsey?)

Perezhogin has the slimmest chance of all players mentioned in my opinion. But he could challenge for a spot later in the season, especially when the inevitable injuries that will occur.

With players such as Czerkawski and McKay being cut loose, there is definitely the room to bring in so many youngsters. Also most all these youngsters are 21-23, so they've got more refined skills to make it pro than the average 18-20 year old rookies.

By December, don't be surprised to see 4-5 rookies on Montreal's roster. And that may be more of a testament to Montreal's weak roster than it does their prospect depth. :D
good report mike !

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
ruutu is virtually guarenteed to make the team out of training camp, barring any injuries. He's been very impressive so far this year, havng a strong training camp, and scoring a goal in his first NHL action (yea, its training camp, but still...). Also seems to be very good at faceoffs. might challenge for the #2 center role. Has about a 99% chance of making the team

I havent heard too much from Radulov over the summer. He was very impressive last year, scoring 5 goals in 7 games or whatever it was. My fear is that he hasnt quite got his defensive game down. However, that would make him a good partner for Ruutu. He has about a 85% of making the team.

Michael Leighton looks like our backup for the next few years. Havent heard too much from him either, but his only real competition is craig andersson. Chance of making team: 80%

Pavel Vorobiev may stick to the team. He hasnt been spectacular so far in training camp, but no ones helping him out on his line. He's getting pushed around a bit too much. However, he still has all the key ingrediants for making the team. Chance: 45%

Yakubov has been pretty good in training camp this year. Though most hawk fans have already cast him out as a bust, there is still hope for him to perform this year, and if he does, he'll probably get a cup of coffee with the hawks. He wasnt dressed tonight vs St Louis though, which isnt a good sign. Chance: 15%

Any new defenseman (Kukkonen, Keith etc.): 20%

Any other new forward: 10%

Jori

The only lock for the Avs is Sauve as Aebischer's backup. John-Michael Liles and Tomas Slovak have definately made a case to snatch one of the remaining defensive spots on the Avs blueline. Svatos has had a good camp, had a great game against the Panthers last night, but is expected to start the season in Hershey. Charlie Stephens also has a shot to make it as a 3rd/4th liner for the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad