Which rookies look like a lock to have a roster spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Jori_18_23 said:
The only lock for the Avs is Sauve as Aebischer's backup. John-Michael Liles and Tomas Slovak have definately made a case to snatch one of the remaining defensive spots on the Avs blueline. Svatos has had a good camp, had a great game against the Panthers last night, but is expected to start the season in Hershey. Charlie Stephens also has a shot to make it as a 3rd/4th liner for the team.
You mean before the infamous Joseph trade?

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
From game reports I've seen Kondratiev is doing his best Tomas Kaberle impersonation during camp...for the non leaf fans...kaberle came out of nowhere at his rookie camp to claim a roster spot and hasn't looked back...becoming a very good draft day steal for the leafs...lets face it, this is what the defense needs....lol

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
eSabre15 said:
Derek Roy's had another great camp and he should be suiting up on opening night for the Sabres.

With Connolly being suspended for the 1st two games Roy is a lock to at least be in the line up for those two games. How long he sticks with the big club will depend on how he plays in the preseason games and those two games.

Plus, Roy's stay with the big club might depend on whether Regier can pull off a trade to open up a roster spot for him. I have a feeling that Regier may be taking calls for Brown and Connolly right now.

Also, with Boulton's injured left thumb Andrew Peters will likely start the year as the Sabres enforcer. How long he sticks will likely depend on how long it takes for Boulton's injury to heal and how well Peters plays/fights.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Evilo said:
Well Armstrong is already on my list :)
And Malone, though he's having a great camp, doesn't stand much of a chance to make it.
Otherwise I would have put Bissonnette, who's playing as the Pens #1 Dman thus far, but as an 18 year old, is probably one of the next cut.

I was a big Armstrong fan during 01 and was hoping Toronto would grap him (hey they had some luck with a player called Armstrong before). How's he doing in camp?

Thanks

TwineSniper

Aug 29, 2003
Canada
For the Canadiens (I know there has been a post already...but, what the hell?)

Lock: Mike Komisarek
Making a case: Chris Higgins, Michael Ryder
Outside chance: Ron Hainsey, Alex Perezhogin.
Players confused for Rookies but Aren't: Jason Ward and Marcel Hossa

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
West said:
I was a big Armstrong fan during 01 and was hoping Toronto would grap him (hey they had some luck with a player called Armstrong before). How's he doing in camp?

Thanks
As my first post implied, Armstrong is having a great camp, and is drawing compliments from the Pens' coaches, especially Edzo.
He had a dismal year last season, and he was the "forgotten" prospect, lost in the midst of all the Pens hopefuls.
Now he seems to be on the right track, and even if he doesn't make the NHL out of camp, I'm certain he'll have some NHL games under his belt by season's end.
Edzo said the camp was wide open. If he keeps it up, he might suprise and take a spot out of a vet.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
In Chicago--Ruutu is not only a lock of all locks,he's the SAVIOR........
Radulov should be a lock ......Vorobiev has played well; on defense Babchuk has impressed and Kukkonen has been at least solid ......Yakubov had a very good training camp but he's got to really impress in the remaing pre-season games to stick= to do that he will need to force the Hawks to shift Ruutu to a wing --barring a trade,Zhamnov Arnason and Nicol have the other 3 centre spots locked
up = leaving only 1 rookie centre spot available=Ruutu unless Yakubov proves he can man it and therefore shift Ruutu to LW......Ruutu has only played centre in training camp and in his one pre-season game so far....
Probably Yakubov will get another shot at centre onTuesday eve. vs. Minn--how he plays will go a long way to determining how they sort this logjam in the middle...

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For the Flyers, both Pitkanen & Woywitka are having very strong camps and have proven that they are NHL ready.

What that means is that the Flyers now are looking at an overload of NHL defenseman and will probably trade one and look to send one down to the Phantoms.

balddog66 said:
From game reports I've seen Kondratiev is doing his best Tomas Kaberle impersonation during camp...for the non leaf fans...kaberle came out of nowhere at his rookie camp to claim a roster spot and hasn't looked back...becoming a very good draft day steal for the leafs...lets face it, this is what the defense needs....lol

Kondratiev looked great in the Euro games and scored a couple, including the beauty where he snuck in off the point and did his Bobby Orr impression. Great offensive touch for a supposed defensive defenseman. That being said, Kondratiev still doesn't have ideal NHL size for a defenseman and the Leafs D isn't all that big as it is (McCabe is the biggest presence at 6-2 220 not counting RW/D Belak). I'd be more interested to see if Harrison can overcome that extremely boneheaded no-look pass right to Drury that lead to Buffalo's first goal and be the super-hyped prospect he was once thought to be.
The defensive corps are overloaded with prospects, albeit not exactly superstar ones, with Ian White, Brendan Bell, Carlo Colaiacovo, Pierre Hedin, Kondratiev, and Harrison all looking to impress. I can't say any of them other than Kondratiev have done that so far in the beginnings of the pre-season.
The only lock as far as youngsters go appears to be Mikael Tellqvist who will play back-up if Trevor Kidd isn't fully healed.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
fullmetalninja said:
Would Vandemeer be available at all?

-fullmetalninja

Yes Flyers have 9 NHL defenseman so they will be looking to move at least 1. Doubtful that it would be Vandermeer, but certainly a possibility.

What would the offer be ?

thestonedkoala

WILD:

Strong case: Rickard Wallin, Stephane Veilleux, Kyle Wanvig, Matt Foy

Travis Roche probably won't make it, either is Z Michalek or Brent Burns.

#37-#93-#27*

Rangers *shocking*

no rookies are locks

making cases: Dominic Moore (Mike Yorkesque)

with Leetch out there's a chance one of our young d-men will be our #6 when the season starts

if Tjutin played well he would've been a lock for that opening but he hasn't and other guys like Nycholat and Lampman have a decent shot now

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
pavel datsyuk said:
with that defense, eminger will be forced to play.

How much I wish that was the case but Cassidy would much rather use the likes of the Grand Rapid Boys.

Kwiatkowski, Doig, Gruden...

However I think Eminger, Yonkman and Cutta are all being given equal chances to play so we'll see.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Kubina_Fan said:
That being said, Kondratiev still doesn't have ideal NHL size for a defenseman

I'd be more interested to see if Harrison can overcome that extremely boneheaded no-look pass right to Drury that lead to Buffalo's first goal and be the super-hyped prospect he was once thought to be.

Kondratiev is 6'1 and 190lbs; for a kid. Is it "ideal" ? Not really, any extra inch plus ten more lbs would be great. Will it suffice in the NHL, esp. given Kondratiev's style of play ? You bet it will.

Kondratiev reminds me of Kaberle in many ways - though I believed Tomas was a bit more polished when he burst onto the scene.

Harrison will never be anything more than a solid #4 with some decent intangibles IMO.

BlueAndWhite said:
Kondratiev is 6'1 and 190lbs; for a kid. Is it "ideal" ? Not really, any extra inch plus ten more lbs would be great. Will it suffice in the NHL, esp. given Kondratiev's style of play ? You bet it will.

Kondratiev reminds me of Kaberle in many ways - though I believed Tomas was a bit more polished when he burst onto the scene.

Harrison will never be anything more than a solid #4 with some decent intangibles IMO.

Although this has nothing to do with prospects, I apologise for taking your avatars idea. It just looked like a great idea . . .

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well an avatar with a Nas cover on it is obviously a keeper.
I might add that although "Illmatic" is the consensus best Nas album, I liked "It was written" better, and "God's son" isn't bad either.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Kubina_Fan said:
Although this has nothing to do with prospects, I apologise for taking your avatars idea. It just looked like a great idea . . .

Well Jurassic Five is one of my favourite groups currently...

Kondratiev is big enough!!

dashripper

Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
LA Kings--Forwards-Dustin Brown is definately making a case in L.A.-you never know with all the injuries. Esa Pirnes is 26 but it will be his first season. He definately has a shot-probably over Brown.

Defence-Denis Grebeshkov was stellar in the rookie tourney but he hasn't played in pre-season due to injury so he probably won't. Strbak is older-he hasn't looked great but it depends on Miller and Modry and if Taylor pulls a deal. Gleason is a wild card. The organization really likes him. He's got some great wheels and he may just stick. These three-if they don't make it-will get a call up throughout the season so they will play.

dashripper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->