Which of these good players would you take on bad contracts?

Which of these players would you take for free with these hypothetical bad contracts?

• Total voters

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
None. I want to win cups and teams with players making north of 10 mil do not win cups.

People taking McDavid at 17mil are not thinking about what that'd do to the cap. His contract is arguably bad right now at 12.5 (in terms of cap-space -- not talent)

If absolutely had to take one, give me the goalie at 12. If he comes close to earning that contract maybe he steals me a few rounds (a.ka. Price). Any of the others are going to cripple the team with their cap hits.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
McDavid. Because you don't not take McDavid for free. Absolute worst case scenario and you don't want to keep him, well trade him. Event at 17M he'll fetch a return.

In theory the Kaprizov one is fine too - but I didn't vote for him. Something made me hesitate. Maybe not enough of a track record. Still, this one is close.

I also didn't vote for Shesterkin, but could see it too.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The answer really depends on the base scenario you're working with. Many teams simply don't have this kind of space no matter what.

If I'm managing a crappy team with no talent, sure I'd take on some of these contracts.

If I'm managing a top heavy team that has a stacked top 2 lines and good goal tending, I probably don't want another $12M player. I probably want a bunch of good value $3M role players.

Then again, some of the contracts listed in the OP probably still have trade value, and perhaps presents an opportunity for a stacked team to convert 1 high priced player into a package of decent role players. In that case it would depend on if there was a willing and viable trade partner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadienna

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Kinda funny people think giving a goalie a Vezina goalie 10+ mil a year for an extended period would be a good idea. I mean it has worked so well in the past right? Gotta go with Kirill here. Maybe McD.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Kinda funny people think giving a goalie a Vezina goalie 10+ mil a year for an extended period would be a good idea. I mean it has worked so well in the past right? Gotta go with Kirill here. Maybe McD.

You grossly overpay a skater (McD, Krill,, etc.) you don't have cap space for defense/goalie and you end up losing a lot of games 5-4 etc. You grossly overpay a goalie you don't have cap space for offense and you'll be in a lot of 2-1 games. If your overpaid goalie can play up to some semblance of their contract you'll hopefully win more than you lose in that scenario. Neither one is preferable however, which is why the correct answer is "none".

Kaprizov and McDavid are the closest to their actual value in this list.
Without a salary cap? Sure won't disagree with that. With a salary cap? No player (McDavid included) is worth 20% of your cap space, not if you want to contend.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
McDavid and Kaprizov. That's it.

McDavid is just so good there's almost no amount that would be an overpay. Kaprizov has shown he himself can create a 1st line, even if his linemates arent that calibre.

I was also going to say Shesterkin, but goalies are voodoo. Too unpredictable.

Reactions: Ignite111

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Some of y'all really think roster depth is optional.

None. I might do McDavid at 13 but no way am I tying up that much cap hit into one player unless said player can singlehandedly drag his team to a cup. McDavid hasn't shown he can do that yet.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
None. I want to win cups and teams with players making north of 10 mil do not win cups.

People taking McDavid at 17mil are not thinking about what that'd do to the cap. His contract is arguably bad right now at 12.5 (in terms of cap-space -- not talent)

If absolutely had to take one, give me the goalie at 12. If he comes close to earning that contract maybe he steals me a few rounds (a.ka. Price). Any of the others are going to cripple the team with their cap hits.
In what way? He could've been making 15 million per year (Which he will make at minimum on his next deal). He took a discount.

Edmonton's salary cap hell had nothing to do with McDrai's deals. It had to do with overpaying second tier players like Lucic, Kassian, Hyman, Nurse, Koskinen, and a few others.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
McDavid and Kaprizov I'd feel most confident about their game aging well. I think I'd take Tkachuk for free also cause I think I could move it if necessary. The other forwards aren't superstars and I see their contracts ending up like the Duchene/Johansson deals maybe at best.

Shestyerkin could be the best goalie of his generation and that's a valid price to pay but that's a lot of risk to take on.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
McDavid at 17 million is still not a bad contract. He’s head and shoulders above his peers - I’ll take him quite easily

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
McDavid at $17M is kind of nuts when you think you could have all of the below 2 player combos for $17M or less:

Draisaitl +Stamkos
Kaprizov + Hedman
Malkin + Makar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad