Which of these good players would you take on bad contracts?

Which of these players would you take for free with these hypothetical bad contracts?

• Total voters

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Weird how you came up with these numbers. You should have left the numbers off and said “each overpaid by 2-3 mil”

Because I’d say some of these guys are more overpaid than others, when I assume you wanted people to judge the players themselves.

eg Kaprizov at 12 isn’t remotely as bad as Huberdeau at 14. You easily take Kaprizov there. Kaprizov at 12 could totally be a contract he’d get in free agency. Huberdeau at 14 is crazy

Anyways, McDavid I guess since he can produce like two players. Then again there’s a line where you need depth and 17 is crazy. I maybe take Kaprizov

Last edited:

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
You grossly overpay a skater (McD, Krill,, etc.) you don't have cap space for defense/goalie and you end up losing a lot of games 5-4 etc. You grossly overpay a goalie you don't have cap space for offense and you'll be in a lot of 2-1 games. If your overpaid goalie can play up to some semblance of their contract you'll hopefully win more than you lose in that scenario. Neither one is preferable however, which is why the correct answer is "none".

Without a salary cap? Sure won't disagree with that. With a salary cap? No player (McDavid included) is worth 20% of your cap space, not if you want to contend.

If you grossly overpay for a goalie it may also be the defense that you do not have cap space for. Not just the offense which obviously would be worse for a goalie's production. Not sure you would be seeing these 2-1 games.

My main reasoning for a forward overpayment such as Kirill over a goalie is he plays 82 games when healthy. There is a reason goalies don't make as much money as position players as they don't play as many games. If a goalie's production falls off it would often limit their games played even more. Having Igor splitting games / playing 50 games at 12 mil a year with a 2.60 GAA and a .903 save percentage is way worse than Krill putting up 70 points and playing 82 games. I also feel like goalie performance often fluctuates more YoY though I could be wrong.

This is also coming from a guy that said Igor should have won both the Vezina and Hart. If the deal was Igor 4 years at 12 mill I would take it. 8 years wouldn't go near it.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Pretty sure if Kaprisov hit UFA today someone would offer him that or very close.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Without a salary cap? Sure won't disagree with that. With a salary cap? No player (McDavid included) is worth 20% of your cap space, not if you want to contend.

That’s true, but man, these other contracts would be dreadful too. Imagine paying Kadri $11M or Matthew Tkachuk $12.5M. The realistic answer is probably none of the above for that reason, but that’s a boring answer IMO :)

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
None. I want to win cups and teams with players making north of 10 mil do not win cups.

People taking McDavid at 17mil are not thinking about what that'd do to the cap. His contract is arguably bad right now at 12.5 (in terms of cap-space -- not talent)
Utter BS. You are saying you wouldn't trade Hall and Marchand for McDavid if you could right now (granted, McDavid has 1 more year on his deal than those two but let's pretend it's equal)? If you say no, you are delirious. If your counter to that would be "well Hall's contract is not perfect" then guess what? Not all contracts are.

McDavids contract is one of the best in the league, and sure as hell not one of the problems of the Oilers.

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
With how far we just saw a bad Rangers team go almost only because of Shesterkin, that cap hit wouldn't even be awful.

Would also take McDavid and Kaprizov here btw. With the cap shooting up in 2-3 years, having Kaprizov for 5 more at 12 mil isn't even bad. And McDavid is McDavid

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Shesterkin is risky, but the possible reward exceeds all the other options by far, and so I voted him. Since he's going to play 60 minutes/game, he's the most likely to affect my team positively (or negatively for that matter, but I'll take my chances). I just don't think you can build a Stanley Cup champion around one player making $17 mil, no matter who it is, not with the current cap ceiling at least.

Reactions: alexgreeen

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
McDavid, Kaprizov and Tkachuk.

McDavid and Kaprizov because their contracts aren't even serious overpayments and you get them for free.

Tkachuk is an overpayment but i'd overpay him slightly for entertainment value as he's an unique player.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The odds of a cheaper goalie going on a 2 month hot streak through the playoffs at least once during a 1C's 8 year overpaid deal are a lot better than a cheap 1C going on a 2 month hot streak (playing at a top 5 C level) at least once during your goalie's 8 year overpaid deal. Maybe if you tanked for an ELC Bedard I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad