Speculation: Which Jets aren't coming back?

Who's gone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
sounds like to me Roslovic unless Chevy knows Laine ain't signing here neither Laine or Ehlers are moving

Unless maybe a navel-ship load of an offer comes for Connor and Copp? Not a popular thought...but might prove worth it, and keep #10 oa this year draft to fill the coiffure future fund! I don't know which way to go for sure, but this roster needs a new trial 2C with some skills for keeping up to, feeding, covering for Ehlers & Laine, or finishing a rebound ganging around the net. Or, a new top-rate RHS Dman. Or both!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Unless maybe a navel-ship load of an offer comes for Connor and Copp? Not a popular thought...but might prove worth it, and keep #10 oa this year draft to fill the coiffure future fund! I don't know which way to go for sure, but this roster needs a new trial 2C with some skills for keeping up to, feeding, covering for Ehlers & Laine, or finishing a rebound ganging around the net. Or, a new top-rate RHS Dman. Or both!

If there is a player who is safe its KFC.

Roslovic is less uncertain. He has Claude Lemieux as his agent. What the negotiations are going to look like are uncertain. Seems like Roslovic is pretty happy now that Maurice isn't gluing him to the bench, but you never know, maybe he asks for a number that doesn't fit what Chevy sees him worth. If there was a 2c offered to Chevy with Roslovic as the main return (something Cap related) maybe he is inclined to deal. The Jets still have to decide who to protect in the expansion draft, and depending on contracts, it is no guarantee Roslovic would be protected. I could see the Jets leaving Copp off the protected list, if they only have a year left to keep him. Harkins?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He didn't even say that he and Ehlers were on the block. He said that based on the Jets roster needs, it seemed to make sense for them to trade a winger to fill a gap at C or on D. He didn't even pretend to have any inside info on the Jets' intentions.

Also his list is designed to get hits on the website and create discussion. Every year there are a number of big players on it to create some controversy.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
He didn't even say that he and Ehlers were on the block. He said that based on the Jets roster needs, it seemed to make sense for them to trade a winger to fill a gap at C or on D. He didn't even pretend to have any inside info on the Jets' intentions.
Could well be implying Roslovic. He was not even tried at Center for a worthwhile test when Scheifele went down, early season, then play-ins/off &out same thing. He was Wheelers RW'er. Not very productive either. I like the kid but his time is dwindled with not much success or progression here, I believe.
Best offer him up to a better possible need player for us, in a package deal. I still think there could be interest from TBL, as he would likely sign a cheaper "prove it" deal there, for opportunity, winning culture, winning coach, US market. Jets might have to throw Heinola in for Cirelli but would need to get something more back for us, definitely. Can't give 2 1st rounders away, still young and to prove value for a 3rd rounder the selling team cannot afford to resign! And, Cirelli is not a sur-fire proven stud productive Center. He is showing very good improvement and undr-lying numbers as a valuable NHL center. Same with Andrew Copp, just a little different skill-set and roles proven so far. Likely more offense attained out of Cirelli, too.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
sounds like to me Roslovic unless Chevy knows Laine ain't signing here neither Laine or Ehlers are moving
Anyone have any interest in seeing if Adam Gaudette is available oyt of VCR? He is an RFA, has struggled to get a permanent tole there. Not sure if he is "failing" in his stints, opportunities, similar to Roslovic in Wpg? I do believe he has had a hard time getting opportunity to prove himself at Center, which is his natural, skilled at position. Maybe he could grow quickly, steadily into 2C role on Jets, between Ehlers & Laine, and, not cost a vault-load to attain.
Some west-coast hockey follower pundits are very high on his potential and his effort so far?
My limited eye-test likes what I have seen from him when I watched VCR and he was in.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
11m??? Really? For how long???
I wouldn't do 11 mil for long term either. Maybe 10 tops for 5 yea4s. We don't need a Seabrook or Weber contract strangle for the latter years. We already have Wheeler down the road to survive with.
If TN thinks similar, P. ain't coming to Wpg. Probably not on his list of negotiable teams/ cities anyways.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
No way connor, ehlers or laine get traded to patch holes.

Connor and Ehlers of course not. Think Trouba case, do you wanna see Laine walk away for nothing. Sometimes patch hole is better than zero return.

There is no freaking way he stays with the team if used like before, highly possible he wont stay anyways. If you ever will you have to trade him now when that contract still has some value left.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seravalli speculated a bit about Slavin in the Laine talk. Not that I would mind getting Slavin, but he is a lefty and we need RHD. Pesce would be a good fit. He doesn't return Laine though.

What about Pesce + Necas? RHD + 2C. I think I would also ask for Geekie - why not?

That leaves a big hole at RW with Wheeler aging. But we have preserved our picks. Take Quinn at 10.

Having already traded Faulk, that leaves Car a little thin at RD. (Their problem, not ours.) But I will throw in Poolman if they will add Geekie.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Connor and Ehlers of course not. Think Trouba case, do you wanna see Laine walk away for nothing. Sometimes patch hole is better than zero return.

There is no freaking way he stays with the team if used like before, highly possible he wont stay anyways. If you ever will you have to trade him now when that contract still has some value left.

No little and old man wheeler on the decline.

Letting laine go would be sheer stupidity.
Signing him well before his contract is up is the only option.

Reactions: Pongs21 and Bob E

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Seravalli speculated a bit about Slavin in the Laine talk. Not that I would mind getting Slavin, but he is a lefty and we need RHD. Pesce would be a good fit. He doesn't return Laine though.

What about Pesce + Necas? RHD + 2C. I think I would also ask for Geekie - why not?

That leaves a big hole at RW with Wheeler aging. But we have preserved our picks. Take Quinn at 10.

Having already traded Faulk, that leaves Car a little thin at RD. (Their problem, not ours.) But I will throw in Poolman if they will add Geekie.
I think Hamilton and his next contact is the player they will look to move. Necas and a re-signed Hamilton even if it was at a big number probably sets us up pretty well if we keep #10.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Hamilton and his next contact is the player they will look to move. Necas and a re-signed Hamilton even if it was at a big number probably sets us up pretty well if we keep #10.

Yup. Fills two key holes for us. I.would.pull the trigger in that one if Hamilton agreed to an extension.

Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup. Fills two key holes for us. I.would.pull the trigger in that one if Hamilton agreed to an extension.
And it allows you to take BPA without a second thought. A scoring winger at that point might be a real nice fit, though I'd still prefer a center who could be moved to winger as needed.

Reactions: surixon

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Hamilton + Necas for Laine?

If that’s the best deal on the table, I’m keeping Laine.

For the next 3 years, RW looks horrendous. Then, in year 3, Wheeler is 37 and aged out, and Quinn (if that’s the pick) might be a regular NHL player by then. Maybe. But likely not a ppg player Laine is right now.

Hamilton would be on his 4th team, and Necas is unproven. I hope Chevy never reads these threads or gets any crazy ideas like what is posted.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

For the next 3 years, RW looks horrendous. Then, in year 3, Wheeler is 37 and aged out, and Quinn (if that’s the pick) might be a regular NHL player by then. Maybe. But likely not a ppg player Laine is right now.

Hamilton would be on his 4th team, and Necas is unproven. I hope Chevy never reads these threads or gets any crazy ideas like what is posted.

I’m not the biggest fan of Chevy but one thing I have confidence with him is that he will not trade a player for less then he’s worth.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I don't think you build a championship team from RW out though. Defense wins championships. Centre should always be a position of strength if you want to go anywhere. Frankly Hamilton was nearly a PPG player this season. The PP would take off with him, as we have seen the downturn of no Buff. And none of the forwards can make up for that on their own, because it's easier to play us, without a true #1 pointman. For all we know Ehlers could be the 2RW without Laine. Harkins could grow up the lineup if Roslovic didn't.

Necas I don't see being on the block at all, the Canes have a nice #2 centre insulated, with Trochek, and Staal, who is likely gone due to economics and a change in the guard. But if we did go for him, he would be a young centre, who has rising potential.

Chevy knows he has to upgrade on defense. I think there is potential internally if we develop Morrissey-Heinola, Samberg-Pionk as a top 4. Heinola might be our Shea Theodore type. That's probably not until 2021-22 though. And by that time Laine will be at the crossrooads, the same crossroads we came to with Trouba. Do we invest in him as our horse, and does he want to be a Winnipeg Jets long term? No one has those answers, but it's what is on the horizon.

I don't see this being an offseason with alot of movement. Some teams will have to make Cap dumps. Some teams will be aggressive to improve (Hawks/Kings/Sharks/Canadiens come to mind). But mostly I think players will probably stay where they were, given the uncertainty of the future. And Winnipeg is still going to be a hard sell for free agents, that's why I don't expect miracles. Hammer will take less to play here, I think, that makes him someone worth considering, especially with the lack of toughness we had in the playoffs.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't think Hamilton is who I would want. Certainly would not trade Laine for him.

Reactions: RabidOne

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If the Jets could make a deal for Josh Manson, I'd be very happy with that. That's exactly the type of defenseman they need. I guess we'll all have to wait and see what Chevy does here ? A lot of work to do yet.

I understand the Leafs are trying to swing a deal for Manson. They're very high on the Cap, and our chances would be better.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If there is a player who is safe its KFC.

Roslovic is less uncertain. He has Claude Lemieux as his agent. What the negotiations are going to look like are uncertain. Seems like Roslovic is pretty happy now that Maurice isn't gluing him to the bench, but you never know, maybe he asks for a number that doesn't fit what Chevy sees him worth. If there was a 2c offered to Chevy with Roslovic as the main return (something Cap related) maybe he is inclined to deal. The Jets still have to decide who to protect in the expansion draft, and depending on contracts, it is no guarantee Roslovic would be protected. I could see the Jets leaving Copp off the protected list, if they only have a year left to keep him. Harkins?

Roslovic has no leverage, he'll get a typical bridge deal. He also isn't near proven enough for his agent to pull any type of shenanigans.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Big "if" on Hamilton resigning with any term here.
He is an "attitude bombshell". As soon as things go sour, Hamilton ignores the team mantra and focuses on himself. Looks like a powerful bomb but really is an empty shell! Dman good productive hockey player when it's going good tho'!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Big "if" on Hamilton resigning with any term here.
He is an "attitude bombshell". As soon as things go sour, Hamilton ignores the team mantra and focuses on himself. Looks like a powerful bomb but really is an empty shell! Dman good productive hockey player when it's going good tho'!

He isnt my first choice and have the same concerns about his attitude and willingness to sign long term

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad