Speculation: Which Jets aren't coming back?

Who's gone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I agree here with this post, and if I were GM, I'd trade Laine for some defensive help, and maybe a real good forward as well. I think a lot of GM's would overvalue him, due to his goal scoring abliities.

4 guys I wouldn't trade are Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers or Helle -- but of these 4, if I was to trade one, it be Connor, way before Ehlers. Ehlers is a guy I just would not trade.
If you trade Laine, you have to swing for the fences, and include either a talent close to him or a very valuable pick / prospect combo. It's a mistake to trade him for a package that fills roster gaps. No trades of a dollar for four quarters.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If we’re trading Laine, I’d like to target Pulock from the Isles. Just not sure what plus to add from them.
You can acquire a player like Pulock with a mid-first round pick. I really don't see how you trade one of the best young scorers in the league for a player like Pulock. The Jets would need some premium talent in return for Laine.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Last night Friedman hinted that OEL might be available and Pietrangelo would like to stay in St. Louis. Any interest in OEL? Coyotes likely have cap issues, so that would factor into any trade

Reactions: jetsforever

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Last night Friedman hinted that OEL might be available and Pietrangelo would like to stay in St. Louis. Any interest in OEL? Coyotes likely have cap issues, so that would factor into any trade

OEL has a full NMC so he is likely not going to waive tk.come here. Also he hasn't been that amazing the last few years, not sure I would be interested in him with his contract at this point.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You can acquire a player like Pulock with a mid-first round pick. I really don't see how you trade one of the best young scorers in the league for a player like Pulock. The Jets would need some premium talent in return for Laine.

I am thinking that Travis Hamonic was traded from the Isles for a 1st (Dobson) and 2 2nds, that Pulock is worth at least that. Good defenseman are not cheap assets. And the Isles would be crazy to trade him. They are going to have to trade someone though. There's that Leddy for Roslovic and a 2nd on the main board, that's intriguing. Might force us to move Heinola or Samberg to the right side next year, but it would give us a much better back end, with him and Pionk.

Morrissey-De Melo?
Leddy-Pionk
Samberg-Poolman
Beaulieu

With Heinola in the wings.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I am thinking that Travis Hamonic was traded from the Isles for a 1st (Dobson) and 2 2nds, that Pulock is worth at least that. Good defenseman are not cheap assets. And the Isles would be crazy to trade him. They are going to have to trade someone though. There's that Leddy for Roslovic and a 2nd on the main board, that's intriguing. Might force us to move Heinola to the right side next year, but it would give us a much better back end, with him and Pionk.

Morrissey-De Melo?
Leddy-Pionk
Samberg-Poolman
Beaulieu

With Heinola maybe moving up to the top pair.
I don't mind a lesser trade like Leddy, but not a premier young talent like Laine for a good D that's not a star. You can draft a player like Pulock in the middle of the 1st round... Morrissey, Sanheim, McAvoy, Theodore, Chabot, etc. I'm not trading Laine for a player you can acquire with a #10-20 pick. If you trade Laine it has to be for a franchise-changing talent, or the possibility of drafting one (like a top 2-3 pick).

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't mind a lesser trade like Leddy, but not a premier young talent like Laine for a good D that's not a star. You can draft a player like Pulock in the middle of the 1st round... Morrissey, Sanheim, McAvoy, Theodore, Chabot, etc. I'm not trading Laine for a player you can acquire with a #10-20 pick. If you trade Laine it has to be for a franchise-changing talent, or the possibility of drafting one (like a top 2-3 pick).

I was penalized by losing my thumbs up, so I'll just say, you are correct.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I agree we can’t squander our most elite young asset. Laine has taken some heat on here at times but Keeping it real

before the age of 22

Laine 135 goals
Scheifele 28 goals
Connor 45 approximately
Ehlers. 40 ish

Laine has his faults but he was at 80 goals in the NHL while the rest of these guys were breast feeding still. He has a full season at 22 and a season at 23 and those can be big development years.

I am ok to move him but it better be for something really big coming back.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I kind of wonder of the Jets management isn't leaning on Ehlers to be the leader for the future Europeans. Because Laine is a great shooter, but I think he's kind of stuck in a rut, in that he's not capable of leading the team, or putting it on his back, and he is being asked to complete his game, which has been a process. Ehlers has a complete game already, as is still making strides.

With Heinola, Vesalainen, Gustafsson, and I can see Gawanke in the NHL, with his speed, as the future, I think Ehlers might be the guy that helps them grow into pros.

I really expect this to be Laine's last season with the Jets. The way Kurt Overhardt played Trouba out off the team, and the way Chevy got caught from having maybe the best RD in the league to no RD depth, will affect the way he deals with him. I'm not sure they break the bank on him, when they have some very good team friendly contracts. You can get alot for Laine, based on his potential.

Overhardt is not Laine’s agent though. Mike Liut is Laine’s agent

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I agree we can’t squander our most elite young asset. Laine has taken some heat on here at times but Keeping it real

before the age of 22

Laine 135 goals
Scheifele 28 goals
Connor 45 approximately
Ehlers. 40 ish

Laine has his faults but he was at 80 goals in the NHL while the rest of these guys were breast feeding still. He has a full season at 22 and a season at 23 and those can be big development years.

emphasis on really big

Reactions: surixon and ps241

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Let's be realistic. Everyone signed to a contract is coming back because Chevy adores Maurice, and doesnt do player trades unless he is forced to or it's for a rental at deadline

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
His next contract will be interesting. The Jets much like the Bruins have an internal salary structure where all of their drafted core are signed between 7.67 and 8.76 percent of the cap. The only exception would be the captain Wheeler as pending UFA who was inked at 10.38% of the cap. If Laine has a real good year next season then I could see them giving him a Wheeler type deal but can't see them going much higher then that.

As is his max should be on the Conner range, maybe a bit higher for buying more UFA years.

I like that angle and the numbers would be palpable, if within the range you suggest. Don't see Laine's camp accepting that "internal cap %range", and pushing for 2+ mil more or, trade him. Matthews from Tor will benchmark Laine's camps'ask, and as McD's contract did this to Eichel's get.
Matthews is what, 11+mil per (or ? high 10's).
Can't see Laine's camp taking under $9 mil.
Unfortunate, but may make the Jets brass to look at best offers for him. Boo.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
If you trade Laine, you have to swing for the fences, and include either a talent close to him or a very valuable pick / prospect combo. It's a mistake to trade him for a package that fills roster gaps. No trades of a dollar for four quarters.
Absolutely not, on your ending comment.
I would hope that if Laine's camp "ransomed" Chevy & company, that Chevy would reciprocate in the accepting of offer for him.
I would try: 1. FLA- for: Owen Tippett (RW) 'P',
-J Huberdeau (C/LW), or their #12 oa 1st rd plus
Alexei Saarela (C/LW) 'P', Mackenzie Weegar(RD),
'R' Grigori Denisenko (R/LW) 2018 1st rd pick,
Plus a future 1st if Laine signs with them long term, and Weegar doesn't sign 3 years or longer. Or a 2nd if either does not/ does happen. Jets would have #'s 10 & 12 this year to address C & RD future hopefuls, in a very sound draft tear thru 1st 15 or so picks.
Denisenko is unknown NA and Saarela is still spinning his wheels finding a fit NHL but both have high-end talent and projected top-6 futures. Weegar solidified his worth in being very solid defending, dependable and a valuable mid-bottom pair defender, cheap. I liken his skill set and play very comparable to Demelo, younger with a little more offense capable.
Lots of other possibilities obviously too.
If Huberdeau were attained, huge instant potential, to a) top-line with Scheif & Wheels, or , b) a true 2C!!.
Would need Roslovic resigned and stepping up quickly into 2-Rw spot.?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

before the age of 22

Laine 135 goals
Scheifele 28 goals
Connor 45 approximately
Ehlers. 40 ish

Thus, if your getting a reaching prime soon defender who was a middling 1st rd pick, you ask for another high draft pick or high-value prospect that fills your teams' need.vLaine is proven, at top-rate goal scorer in 3 seasons and was a #2 OA.
However, draft hype selection # is very fallible and not direct value when trading. Look at at a Sam Reinhart, Sam Bennett, etc. What would either of them get you now, a 3rd rd pick?
Also, other end of scale are Dustin Buff's, Johnny Hockey Gaudreau, etc. Late, low round picks who valued out at 1st rd pick plus plus player(s)/ prospect(s) if traded.

Reactions: ps241

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
emphasis on really big
I actually could "take the risk" on trading him straight up for Andrei Svechnikov, in Car. Laine could truly only hurt our Stanley Cup chances in the Stanley Cup finals, playing against us.
A Svch'v has very high-end #'s in 1st 2 years at 18 to 20 years old now. He was a #2 OA in 2018, and was carrying this team, more than Aho this summer season.
Maybe throw in Jack Roslovic and ask for Wpg born prospect Stelio Mattheos plus rd prospect Joey Keane back. Get a little more future potential for the "Not breaking thru yet showing" of J Roslo.
Andrei Svechnikov has shown progression to be a play driver, carrying offensive load on attack with his line-mates regularly. I could see him being a huge compliment with Ehlers style. Maybe Vesalainen or Harkins could progress up to that level. If, Svechnikov proves to be a capable Center. He was listed draft year as a l.h.s. RW. But I saw a few games and highlights of Carolina last couple years and he was playing Center in a few of them.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I actually could "take the risk" on trading him straight up for Andrei Svechnikov, in Car. Laine could truly only hurt our Stanley Cup chances in the Stanley Cup finals, playing against us.
A Svch'v has very high-end #'s in 1st 2 years at 18 to 20 years old now. He was a #2 OA in 2018, and was carrying this team, more than Aho this summer season.
Maybe throw in Jack Roslovic and ask for Wpg born prospect Stelio Mattheos plus rd prospect Joey Keane back. Get a little more future potential for the "Not breaking thru yet showing" of J Roslo.
Andrei Svechnikov has shown progression to be a play driver, carrying offensive load on attack with his line-mates regularly. I could see him being a huge compliment with Ehlers style. Maybe Vesalainen or Harkins could progress up to that level. If, Svechnikov proves to be a capable Center. He was listed draft year as a l.h.s. RW. But I saw a few games and highlights of Carolina last couple years and he was playing Center in a few of them.

Don't see the incentive for the Canes to trade Svech for Laine, especially with Svech still having another year on his elc. I've also not seen him mentioned anywhere as playing C. If he did, they especially wouldn't move him for Laine.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Let's be realistic. Everyone signed to a contract is coming back because Chevy adores Maurice, and doesnt do player trades unless he is forced to or it's for a rental at deadline

You're probably right there. Would like to see MP moved for?, even a middling draft pick or prospect. Could use his salary now, more than his likely 1 more season contribution. He has regressed to barely 4th-line output and see way too many mistakes, bad penalties from him passed season at worse timings a of few games, with little productive output to the positive.
To me, Kulikov was more worth his salary this year, than M Perreault. JMO & Observation take.
I think the maturity in Ehlers-Connor-Copp-Lowry and of course Scheff's- Wheels and Morrissey, can overcome the loss of experienced Perreault, for sure.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Don't see the incentive for the Canes to trade Svech for Laine, especially with Svech still having another year on his elc. I've also not seen him mentioned anywhere as playing C. If he did, they especially wouldn't move him for Laine.
Not listed as a C much but I saw him taking draws and playing middle in d-zone and neutral zone, so?
Maybe Carolina wouldn't move him but Laine and Aho have past chemistry and successful W.Jr's playing together. Aho' s and Teuravainen's play-making and play driver abilities could be complimented by Laine's finishing, scoring threat shot regularly. Laine is, has learned to take care of himself when being targeted physically. He even showed standing up for Ehlers and Morrissey and other teammates some. He has learned to use his body more effectively to take and give back body-checks while focussing on playing.
If Carolina brass know this, they might bite on the opportunity to snag an elite shooter like Laine, given his familiarity with one of their young core present-future pieces in S Aho. You Can't say they wouldn't if Chevy doesn't offer or look into it, yet at least.
Note: I propose this possibility for only if Laine/ his agent-advisors ask too much for True North's pallate and they need to shop him around.
Also, heard Freidman bring hearing interest from Carolina in pursuing Laine, should he not resign with Wpg smoothly!

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
You're probably right there. Would like to see MP moved for?, even a middling draft pick or prospect. Could use his salary now, more than his likely 1 more season contribution. He has regressed to barely 4th-line output and see way too many mistakes, bad penalties from him passed season at worse timings a of few games, with little productive output to the positive.
To me, Kulikov was more worth his salary this year, than M Perreault. JMO & Observation take.
I think the maturity in Ehlers-Connor-Copp-Lowry and of course Scheff's- Wheels and Morrissey, can overcome the loss of experienced Perreault, for sure.
But... as you stated, likely-hood of any signed players being moved this off-season is very unlikely, given Chevy's "tendancies".

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Thus, if Jets offered Laine to NYI, if Pulock is part of it, he is ONE piece plus++. Never suggested Jets give Laine away for Ryan Pulock straight up!
I would consider Pulock + (C) Brock Nelson for 2C spot + a pick or other prospect for Laine. There is value and substance toward need for Jets right now, if Laine not to be signed again here!
If that is too much for NYI to bear, than so be it, move on.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Not listed as a C much but I saw him taking draws and playing middle in d-zone and neutral zone, so?
Maybe Carolina wouldn't move him but Laine and Aho have past chemistry and successful W.Jr's playing together. Aho' s and Teuravainen's play-making and play driver abilities could be complimented by Laine's finishing, scoring threat shot regularly. Laine is, has learned to take care of himself when being targeted physically. He even showed standing up for Ehlers and Morrissey and other teammates some. He has learned to use his body more effectively to take and give back body-checks while focussing on playing.
If Carolina brass know this, they might bite on the opportunity to snag an elite shooter like Laine, given his familiarity with one of their young core present-future pieces in S Aho. You Can't say they wouldn't if Chevy doesn't offer or look into it, yet at least.
Note: I propose this possibility for only if Laine/ his agent-advisors ask too much for True North's pallate and they need to shop him around.
Also, heard Freidman bring hearing interest from Carolina in pursuing Laine, should he not resign with Wpg smoothly!

I've never heard from anyone that Svech has played C. Sometimes play can get fluid up the ice, but he's never been a C as far as I know.

Can you share where Friedman said anything about the Canes and Laine?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
You are a Carolina fan with little knowledge of Laine, I take it?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I've never heard from anyone that Svech has played C. Sometimes play can get fluid up the ice, but he's never been a C as far as I know.

Can you share where Friedman said anything about the Canes and Laine?
It was segment near the startup of summer league play-ins rounds, when panel was discussing different high-end players and future o each Canadian NHL team. There was a reference to Carolina would be interested in joining Laine with Aho and should Laine's next contract negotiations go awry., via Friedman's turn to "blab". It's all just the Hockey-talk panels throwing names around and making suggestions, etc. I am doing the same thing, just making a suggestion, possible trade partner with my own take, wish on it. Not quoting anybody or reporting circumvented news here. Easy lad.
You Don't see the possibility in my suggestion, I do. So be it. Have a nice day. Cheers.
Laine is going to net 50+ the next season, whenever that starts. My prediction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad