Which goalie do you want starting for the Flames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
In Calgary Bishop would be a great role model for Gilles and Ortio for that matter. He will push both to be way better. Cam Ward is done I am afraid to say. Calgary would be better off signing Reimer, Enroth or Pickard to short term deals.

Reimer - won't sign short term.
Pickard - RFA, is he not?
Enroth - underwhelming, but could see it.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Reimer - won't sign short term.
Pickard - RFA, is he not?
Enroth - underwhelming, but could see it.

You are right with Pickard but maybe a trade prospect.

With all the uncertainty regarding goalies I do not see Reimer being signed long term.

There are a ton of goalies available if expansion goes ahead.

Pavlec, Hellebuyck, Hutchenson in Winnipeg
Anderssen and Gibson in ANA
Miller in Van
Lehtonen, Neimi in Dallas
Elliot and Allen in St. Louis
Subban and Rask in Boston (If Subban comes back from injury)
Fleury, Murray in Pit
Bishop, Vasilevsiy in Tampa

Then there is Ramo, Riemer, Enroth, Ward, and Scrivens.
There are 2 or three goalies from the KHL and European leagues eyeing up over here plus Demko and all the guys that just graduated from the college ranks.

There are plenty of options. Some better than others but I am confident nothing can be as bad as last year.

moon*

Not taking into account availability or cost to acquire I would like Allen. Seems like the perfect combination of ability now with long term starting potential.

But I don't think he is available unless it is a ridiculous overpay.

I also don't see Elliot or Mrazek avaiable so I will eliminate them.

Yzermans seems like a stubborn dick who would cut off his nose to spite his face so even with the potential expansion coming up and salary concerns I think he holds out for a ridiculous price for either of his guys so I pass on them. Plus with Bishop I doubt he re-signs for anyhing less than 7 million and I don't want to pay him that when FA comes up (after next year I think?).

Hutchinson and Pickard I guess for a late round pick might be an option if everyone else is too expensive but neither really inspires much confidence and I would still be looking for a better solution than either of them.

If Reimer will come in at 3.5 or under for 3 or less years I would do that, but doesn't sound like that is what he is looking for.

Fleury or Andersson for Dallas or Florida 2nd would be fine with me. Age/Price gives the edge to Andersson and if we added Fleury I would hope one of our bad contracts (Wideman/Smid/Bollig) would be going the other way as well.

I also would like to see if we could get one of the Philly goalies or Varlamov again for the Dallas/Florida pick, but that could be way off in value.

TL;DR- Many options out there depending on what teams are looking for in return. I think best/most likely option is using a 2nd round pick to get a vet like Fluery/Andersson/Varlamov/Philly guy

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Where's the option for Carey Price?

I'd prefer if he was our starter.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Where's the option for Carey Price?

I'd prefer if he was our starter.

Your looking at paying Price close to 10M a season.... No way. not for a goalie.

I think there is a very real possibility Subban gets shipped out so Bergevin can sign Price.

To add to that thought. Mtl's top 6 forwards are nowhere near the caliber of Calgary's. Patches their best player does not have the dynamic skills of Johnny. Monny, Bennett, Backlund and quite possibly Jankowski are better than every one of Mtl's centers. Gallager is on par with Frolik.

Montreal's only hope is Price and solid defense thus MTL's need for Price.

Calgary has Gilles in the wings.. Ortio as the backup of today. Starter wise I see Fleury, Pavlec, or Fredrik Andersen in Calgary next year. With the talent Calgary has in the system there is no way the Flames could afford Price.

Last edited:

moon*

Backlund isn't better than Galchenyuk and its debatable whether he is better than Plekanec.

Jankowski certainly isn't close to any of the centers on Montreal and likely worse than a number of their center prospects as well.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm curious about the idea we cannot get a goalie we cannot risk to expose. Let's say Gilles is exposed. Is he seriously top 3 options to acquire in an expansion draft?

Sure we could play the odds and still lose him like Paul Byron... but is Gilles seriously that sought out? Or is it just us that over value him?

For instance, STL has Allen and Elliot and one must be exposed. I'd assume one of them is a better option than Gilles as starter for LV. Then I'd look at the Wild. Is one of Dubnyk/Kuemper a inferior option to Gilles? How about Pickard vs Varly on the Avs? Mason/Neuvirth? Lundqvist vs Raanta? How many goalies does LV need?

I really don't think losing Gilles is a huge concern. Let's say we grab MAF and he loses his NMC, I think there's a chance MAF might still be the one we protect, not Gilles. If anything, I wonder if we have enough smokescreen with Ortio.

My serious question is... does MAF still retain his NMC after a trade? Because I've heard some NMC are no longer enforceable after a trade.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'm curious about the idea we cannot get a goalie we cannot risk to expose. Let's say Gilles is exposed. Is he seriously top 3 options to acquire in an expansion draft?

Sure we could play the odds and still lose him like Paul Byron... but is Gilles seriously that sought out? Or is it just us that over value him?

For instance, STL has Allen and Elliot and one must be exposed. I'd assume one of them is a better option than Gilles as starter for LV. Then I'd look at the Wild. Is one of Dubnyk/Kuemper a inferior option to Gilles? How about Pickard vs Varly on the Avs? Mason/Neuvirth? Lundqvist vs Raanta? How many goalies does LV need?

I really don't think losing Gilles is a huge concern. Let's say we grab MAF and he loses his NMC, I think there's a chance MAF might still be the one we protect, not Gilles. If anything, I wonder if we have enough smokescreen with Ortio.

My serious question is... does MAF still retain his NMC after a trade? Because I've heard some NMC are no longer enforceable after a trade.

During the most recent clarification about the expansion draft, under the rules as we understand them at this point and time, Gilles is exempt.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I voted Reimer. I think he's the safest option.

If the Flames get a goalie with a NMC, like Fleury, they have no choice but to protect him. And since I think Gillies will be a 3rd-year pro after next year, it would mean the Flames need to expose Gillies to the expansion draft.

If Gillies has a lousy year in the AHL it's not an issue. But if he plays well, the Flames stand a good chance to lose him for nothing. I'd rather save the protection for Gillies and hope he rebounds from his surgery.

EDIT: just saw the post above. If Gillies is indeed exempt then Fleury would be fine. Still would rather have a "free" goalie.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
During the most recent clarification about the expansion draft, under the rules as we understand them at this point and time, Gilles is exempt.

Doh, I read that article last week and totally forgot about that aspect. :laugh: I still don't think Gilles would be a target even if exposed in a draft though. Too many other better options than him.

Honestly if anything, I think we will end up in a good bad situation at the expansion draft where we moan and groan nearly 50:50 whether we should expose Ortio (bounce back) or the starter we acquire.

EDIT: I'm still curious how some NMC can be voided when the player is traded. Is this a secret aspect of contracts similar to the teams on a list for NMC/NTC? Or is there a place to look it up?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
EDIT: I'm still curious how some NMC can be voided when the player is traded. Is this a secret aspect of contracts similar to the teams on a list for NMC/NTC? Or is there a place to look it up?

There's a section in the CBA if you want to look for it but essentially:

If the player was traded prior to activation of the NTC/NMC (e.g. Richards and Carter) then the acquiring team can decide whether or not to honour that clause. Almost always, they don't.

If a player with an already active NTC/NMC is traded, then the clause persists (e.g. Phaneuf, Hartnell, etc. )

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
An in-house goaltender to play amazing, or a cheaply acquired diamond in the rough.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I still think a Wideman for Halak swap makes the most sense for summer options.

I think it did; not sure if it does anymore. With Hamonic staying put and Boychuk, Leddy, Hickey, and De Haan all under contract and making 2 million minimum a piece, not sure the fit is there anymore, unless someone else is moved from their backend.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The Isles don't need Wideman anymore, so that likely isn't realistic although Halak is probably still available for something else.

If we can get Fleury for just a 2nd, he's who I want. I'm also really into Allen.

moon*

After hearing the Penguin players talk about Fleury and his attitude during the play-offs I think he is the guy that I most want at this point.

Fills the need as a guy who can be a good starter for the next 2-3 years but if Gillies were to advance a little quicker would still be a good mentor for him in year 2 or 3.

I know there has been talk about Pittsburgh needing a defenseman so maybe we can pawn Wideman off on them with a 2nd round pick. If Wideman was going the other way I think I would be fine if it were our own pick, but obviously would prefer the Florida/Dallas pick.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If we send Wideman the other way, the price to get Fleury will be much higher. If we take him, it's probably a 2nd round pick. Maybe we add Raymond for Kunitz though.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
Calgary talking to Marc-Andre Fleury again today has me thinking they are pushing hard for him. Looks like he could be the guy. But at what cost to the Flames?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Calgary talking to Marc-Andre Fleury again today has me thinking they are pushing hard for him. Looks like he could be the guy. But at what cost to the Flames?

Treliving: "So... are you willing to drop on price yet? No? Cool. I just thought I'd double check in case you were."

Treliving: "Hi this is Brian Burke of the Calgary Flames... Yeah this is Brad. Price unchanged? Ok, maybe next time."

Treliving: "That Murray kid, amazing eh? You know what rhymes with Murray? Marc Andre Fleury! Ok, ok, I'll hang up now."

:naughty:

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Intriguing.

Don't suppose you have a source on this?

I saw the update on my phone via The Score app. Checked the Calgary Flames subreddit and saw The Score cited there, too. Thing is, they're citing the Eric Francis article that Calculon posted yesterday.

The Calgary Flames are reportedly looking into the availability of a certain Stanley Cup-winning goaltender.

Flames general manager Brad Treliving has been in contact with Pittsburgh Penguins GM Jim Rutherford about Marc-Andre Fleury, reports Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun.

Matt Murray supplanted Fleury as the starter in the playoffs and led Pittsburgh to its fourth title Sunday.

Fleury's cap hit is $5.75 million for each of the next three seasons after signing a four-year, $23-million extension in the fall of 2014.

Murray's on the books for $620,000 before potentially becoming a restricted free agent next summer.

The Penguins are about $2.4 million over the cap ceiling, according to General Fanager.

May 27, 2012
Earth

Intriguing.

Don't suppose you have a source on this?

I saw the update on my phone via The Score app. Checked the Calgary Flames subreddit and saw The Score cited there, too. Thing is, they're citing the Eric Francis article that Calculon posted yesterday.

I think he meant talking to Pittsburgh, rather just talking to Fleury individually.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

Treliving is a very proactive GM who really does his due diligence. This really shouldn't be a huge surprise, and not looked into too much. If true also I might add.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00