Which goalie do you want starting for the Flames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I read somewhere that Reimer's sv% is boosted a little because he gives up so many poorly-directed rebounds. So, more often than other goalies, he makes 2-3 saves rather than just one. Not sure how strongly it applies, but that was always something that stuck with me.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I read somewhere that Reimer's sv% is boosted a little because he gives up so many poorly-directed rebounds. So, more often than other goalies, he makes 2-3 saves rather than just one. Not sure how strongly it applies, but that was always something that stuck with me.

If I'm reading the statistics right, according to Corsica, THIS season at 5v5, Reimer had 37 rebound attempts against on 878 shots against. That's 4.2% of the shots he faced.

Now, I believe "Rebounds Against" if they're calculated the way I believe they are, include both rebounds given up by the goalie and shot blockers. But still, for some comparision to his teammates...

Jonathan Bernier faced 47 rebounds against on 894 shots against, or 5.3%
Martin Jones faced 91 rebounds against on 1334 shots against, or 6.8%

And a few other goalies:

Ben Bishop faced 77 rebounds against on 1282 shots against, or 6%
Corey Crawford faced 94 rebounds against on 1332 shots against, or 7.1%
Brian Elliott faced 52 rebounds against on 808 shots against, or 6.4%
Frederik Andersen faced 47 rebounds against on 824 shots against, or 5.7%
Jonas Hiller faced 41 rebounds against on 497 shots against, or 8.2%

I don't think there's anything unique about Reimer as far as stopping rebounds specifically.

Expanding to a three season sample, Reimer has faced 126 RBA on 2540 SA, or 5.0%... it sounds like his rebound control is pretty good, that or the Leafs just matador away from every shot. Probably a combination of both.

Last edited:

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary

I've been saying for years his rebound control is awful and leads to a lot of 2nd/third chances

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I just want someone who can stop a beachball and not cost Calgary all the assets to acquire.

A decent goalie this season and Calgary's sneaking into 8th; and being murdered by Dallas; but still.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I'd be fine with a:
- Young goalie with high end potential; Allen, Murray, Vasilevskiy, Mrazek, Pickard, Gibson, etc. Fall into this category.
- A cap for cap type move; Wideman for Halak, maybe Miller type of trade.
- A short-term stopgap, cheap contract and cheap to acquire; Neuvirth, Reimer, Ramo, Ward, maybe Elliott will fall into this category.
- Also fine with Andersen, just not sure which category to fit him in.

I would not be fine with (very disappointed, perhaps even irate, depending on what we gave up):
- A goalie who will be on the downside of their career for a good chunk of our window to be perennial contenders. Rask, Fleury, Bishop etc, will fall into this category.

Why2Jay

Feb 1, 2009
I still think Ortio has more to show. So id prefer a guy like Reimer for a few seasons. I feel like Gillies is our future but this combo could be good until he is ready.

Why2Jay

Feb 1, 2009
Reimer probably isn't going to just sign for a "few seasons" though. He's going to be looking long term - possibly longer term than we'd need.

I have a feeling youre probably right. I just dont really want to give up anything of huge value. To be honest id be happy with Ramo/Ortio and a coach that preaches a lil defence. I think both goalies and the entire team for that matter could benefit huge.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Ramo's not going to be ready until sometime in October. He's definitely not going to be plan A. Treliving might look at him as insurance for 1A/1B role if say Reimer is signed and Ortio is traded away/goes to Europe. I'd guess he goes to the Hurricanes (Nordiques) or the Leafs.

On that note, there's only two, maybe three teams looking for goalies - Calgary, Toronto and maybe Carolina. And of those, one can be entirely crossed off the list in Toronto when it comes to Reimer. So with one, maybe two teams needed his services, options are limited. Reimer can ask for whatever he wants but if no team is offering more than two or three years, then that's what he'll have to sign if he wants to remain in the NHL. Best thing to do would be to overpay in money for a shorter duration, e.g. 5M per for two years or 4.25M for three. And with the Hurricanes being a budget team, the odds favour the Flames should they be interested.

There's actually a distinct possibility Reimer chooses to avoid Canadian markets altogether thanks to his experiences in Toronto and signs cheaply somewhere in the States.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I think Fleury would be a good choice if he can indeed be acquired with only secondary pieces. He's signed until 2019 which is about exactly when we'll know if Gillies and Ortio are for real or not. Proven starter, age won't likely be an issue before his contract ends.

To me, most of the other options just seem like too much of a gamble (Reimer, Ramo) or likely way too expensive to acquire (Mrazek, Vasilevsky).

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Does anyone know what happened to Mikko Koskinen? 6'6 goaltender drafted by NYI in 2009, went overseas and has been included on All Star Teams as well as represented Finland. I ran into his name reading a few threads, but couldn't find much about him when I looked him up. He just leaves to Europe after a few NHL games in 2011.

Is he just not NHL calibre or something?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I really am starting to wonder more and more if Cam Ward might be the interim "solution".

- might possibly sign a short term "prove it" kind of deal
- fits the bill of "adequate / stop-gap"

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discount some of the other names bandied about because there are better options than Ward. There are probably worser options too.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If that's the case we might as well just resign Ramo to a 2-3 year deal.

Not necessarily. Ramo is injured till possibly October.

I'd be surprised if Ward or Ramo were given longer than 1-2 year deals from our management. Heck, I'd be surprised to see anyone with more than 2-3 unless they were super young.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Anyone think we can try to pry Korpisalo or at least Forsberg/Dansk away from Columbus? Dansk looks like a bust, but Forsberg can be promising, and Korpisalo would be an excellent backup.

The most likely move is Bobrovski being moved. Korpisalo is the future in Columbus and since the team was torn down a fair bit for a smaller rebuild it is quite likely they would be interested in moving Bobrovski out.

This all hinges on how many expansion teams are going to be approved.

Cam Ward, Lehtonen, Niemi are all horrible stop gaps. Gilles needs a true first string goalie to push him like Bishop, Rinne or Reimer. To deal for Bishop it is likely the Flames could move Wideman.

Bishop, Colborne for Wideman, MacDonald / Schnieder and a 2nd Round pick in 2017

FYI you must take into consideration the goaltender equipment changes. The younger goalies will have better reflexes to adapt to the changes.

Last edited:

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
i prefer fleury over bishop but say goodbye to the #35 pick to bring either one in amongst other assets

That's why I'd rather see a stop gap like Elliot or reimer and see if ortio or gillies can grab the #1 reins

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think Korpisalo will be this years Hammond. He just doesn't look fluid in net. I think he just went on a hot streak and will come back to earth to be at best a platoon guy.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
i prefer fleury over bishop but say goodbye to the #35 pick to bring either one in amongst other assets

That's why I'd rather see a stop gap like Elliot or reimer and see if ortio or gillies can grab the #1 reins

From my perspective bringing in any older goalie with term is dangerous. The upper body rule changes to the goalie equipment is massive. This is likely only year 1 of 3 for downsizing goalie equipment. 2017-18 look for smaller pads again with restrictions on the side flaps. Then the following year tweaks.

The goalie you will need will have to be athletically gifted with amazing reflexes.

Bishop would be a good stop gap for a year and if he adapts well you can extend him. If not you have Gilles that will hopefully be ready.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
From my perspective bringing in any older goalie with term is dangerous. The upper body rule changes to the goalie equipment is massive. This is likely only year 1 of 3 for downsizing goalie equipment. 2017-18 look for smaller pads again with restrictions on the side flaps. Then the following year tweaks.

The goalie you will need will have to be athletically gifted with amazing reflexes.

Bishop would be a good stop gap for a year and if he adapts well you can extend him. If not you have Gilles that will hopefully be ready.

If you are looking for a short term stopgap only, you best look elsewhere. Bishop will cost too much to only be a one year stopgap.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
If you are looking for a short term stopgap only, you best look elsewhere. Bishop will cost too much to only be a one year stopgap.

I would be very very surprised if any team locks up a goalie long term from now until the equipment changes are finished being rolled out. Jones and Talbot were only signed to 3 and 4 year deals respectively.

Goalies like Riemer, Elliot, Lehtonen, Howard, and Ward will have difficulty staying in the NHL under the new rules.

The advantage of having Bishop in Calgary is you give Gilles somebody to compete with. Bishop had Anderson in Ottawa, Kipper had Nabakov in SJ, Rinne had Mason in Nashville, and even Carey Price had to wrestle Halak out of the crease.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
If that's the case we might as well just resign Ramo to a 2-3 year deal.
That's about 1-2 years longer than I'd like to sign Ward (or Ramo) for. Ramo probably won't accept another short term deal though and likely head back to Europe instead.

Agreed, which is why I was looking at Ward - there's an outside chance he'd take a shorter term deal.

I'd rather not give up an arm, a leg, and other body parts to get Bishop for the same amount of term - especially if the only reason to get him is to push Gillies, because as we saw this fall, too much competition can be a very bad thing.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I would be very very surprised if any team locks up a goalie long term from now until the equipment changes are finished being rolled out. Jones and Talbot were only signed to 3 and 4 year deals respectively.

Goalies like Riemer, Elliot, Lehtonen, Howard, and Ward will have difficulty staying in the NHL under the new rules.

The advantage of having Bishop in Calgary is you give Gilles somebody to compete with. Bishop had Anderson in Ottawa, Kipper had Nabakov in SJ, Rinne had Mason in Nashville, and even Carey Price had to wrestle Halak out of the crease.

Most of this is besides the point, if you are planning only for Bishop to be a stop gap, inferring short term that he will be here, why would you give up the assets needed to acquire a Vezina finalist if he is not in your long term plans? It doesn't make sense to me.

There are other stop gaps who would be a hell of a lot cheaper, both financially and to acquire, than Bishop of all you are looking for is a stop gap.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
That's about 1-2 years longer than I'd like to sign Ward (or Ramo) for. Ramo probably won't accept another short term deal though and likely head back to Europe instead.

Agreed, which is why I was looking at Ward - there's an outside chance he'd take a shorter term deal.

I'd rather not give up an arm, a leg, and other body parts to get Bishop for the same amount of term - especially if the only reason to get him is to push Gillies, because as we saw this fall, too much competition can be a very bad thing.

There is Yzerman's problem right now (well alleviated a fair bit by Vasilevski's decent play in the playoffs). If he keeps Bishop he would like to extend him but the expansion draft and the rule changes really fly in the face of an expensive extension. A goaltending prospect other than Gilles would be acceptable to me in addition to a 2nd round pick and the only way to do that is to absorb cap dollars of bad contracts.

In Calgary Bishop would be a great role model for Gilles and Ortio for that matter. He will push both to be way better. Cam Ward is done I am afraid to say. Calgary would be better off signing Reimer, Enroth or Pickard to short term deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland