Which Goalie do we keep

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He could turn out to be the goalie that we hope he can become, but for now I would look at Ortio. He played well when needed and I think next season Hiller and Ramo will start the season but depending on how they play one will be traded at the deadline and Ortio will finish the season with the Flames. So when they go into 2015-16 season they will be looking for a goalie. By then we will know how Gillies is turning out.

I really think either Ramo or Hiller won't be back next season.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It'll be up to Brad Treliving to pick between Ramo and Hiller, and right now Hiller is making a stronger case as he's only had one truly weak game this season (VSFlorida) while Ramo has had more that I can think of (@Florida @Buffalo off the top of my head)

Well, with the Anaheim game added to Hiller's resume, and Ramo being pretty damn good in three of his last four starts, now I'm leaning towards Ramo.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Well, with the Anaheim game added to Hiller's resume, and Ramo being pretty damn good in three of his last four starts, now I'm leaning towards Ramo.

So a 3-4 games swayed your decision? I bet if Hiller won 3-4 of his last starts you would be leaning towards Hiller as well. There is a reason why Hiller has played more games.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Two goalies, excellent at times and horrible at times, what an absolute headache for Treliving after the season. :laugh:

Although Hiller has been better overall, I'm still not convinced he can prevent regression in the near future, while holding a starting job. Same goes for Ramo.

I think of it as a poor version of Halak and Price at Montreal, and they opted to go for potential rather than immediate ability. Hiller is 33 and Ramo will turn 29. I think Ramo has a little bit more room to grow in the next two years, while Hiller is more likely to enter the regressive years than Ramo.

Honestly, I'd have Ramo and Ortio next season, with both being Finnish they're more likely to get along better than a combination of Hiller and Ortio.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
Friendly reminder that we've seen good stretches like this from Ramo before. If he runs with the starting job until seasons end, then he has a case. Even then, the contract situation is still against him.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
I'm a bit worried either way, I sure hope Ortio will have a strong performance to keep my doubts calm.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Hiller is a good playoff performer and clearly been better than Ramo this season. Don't know why 3 games should change that, Hiller had such stretches too.
Yeah, some of you don't feel comfortable with Hillers style and prefer the Finnish game, but nontheless, Hiller has stopped more shots so I think he's the better option.

In the end, they're both pretty inconsistent, but at least Hiller knows how to perform in the big games.

Last edited:

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Hiller is a good playoff performer and clearly been better than Ramo this season. Don't know why 3 games should change that, Hiller had such stretches too.
Yeah, some of you don't feel comfortable with Hillers style and prefer the Finnish game, but nontheless, Hiller has stopped more shots so I think he's the better option.

In the end, they're both pretty inconsistent, but at least Hiller knows how to perform in the big games.

I think that it's stupid to claim that Hiller's been "cleary better". Both of them has had their good and bad streches, but it's just difficult to say who's absolutely better. Also, their stats are so close to each other. I have been used to see that Finnish goaltending style more, so of course Rämö's style and positioning looks better to me. In my opinion Hiller leaves more rebounds, but it's just his style.

I'd say that Hiller is more in Flames's staff's favour because of his experience. If we compare them as a player and their contracts at the same time, Rämö would be a better option because he's much cheaper, but in Flames's situation that's not the main point. It has certainly been a tough decision since the beginning of the season, but looks like they both are going to finish their season here, because of Ortio's injury.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think that it's stupid to claim that Hiller's been "cleary better". Both of them has had their good and bad streches, but it's just difficult to say who's absolutely better. Also, their stats are so close to each other. I have been used to see that Finnish goaltending style more, so of course Rämö's style and positioning looks better to me. In my opinion Hiller leaves more rebounds, but it's just his style.

I'd say that Hiller is more in Flames's staff's favour because of his experience. If we compare them as a player and their contracts at the same time, Rämö would be a better option because he's much cheaper, but in Flames's situation that's not the main point. It has certainly been a tough decision since the beginning of the season, but looks like they both are going to finish their season here, because of Ortio's injury.
It's not difficult to say at all.

Hiller has clearly been better. He's in the staff's favour because he wins more games and keeps the team in more games.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Hiller has clearly been better. He's in the staff's favour because he wins more games and keeps the team in more games.

Ramo is 10-6-1 (won 58.9 percent of his games)
Hiller is 19-17-3 (won 48.7 percent of his games)

I wonder if we could re-sign Ramo, and then trade Ortio to a team like Buffalo (that doesn't have a goalie of the future) for a guy like Jake McCabe or a late first.

Aug 21, 2014

I wonder if we could re-sign Ramo, and then trade Ortio to a team like Buffalo (that doesn't have a goalie of the future) for a guy like Jake McCabe or a late first.

Nope, not trading an up in coming goalie for picks. Flames shudda learned from Giguere.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014

To be fair, Hiller was chosen to play during most of that horrific losing streak of ours. Many of those games were just unlucky, and Hiller had very little to do on the outcomes.

And that being said, Hiller has been the better goalie overall. But in this case, I think it's best to think deeper into things rather than the goalies' current abilities. Both aren't young, but one is significantly younger and has a bit more room to grow. Potential over ability in this case.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a rebuilding team to trade an up and coming young goalie with a potentially higher ceiling just to keep two older goalies. Besides, Ortio isn't anywhere near established enough to warrant that kind of return as of now.

Still possible the Flames re-sign Ramo and trade Hiller at the draft or in the summer. Might be better from an asset management point of view since they can't trade a goalie now.

Plus, I think there's a reason to be mildly concerned whether Hiller will be a good fit in the lockerroom if Ortio ends up taking over the number one role.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009

I still disagree. Hiller hasn't been clearly better, that's still a bad argument. As said, Rämö's winning percentage is better. In my opinion, Hiller is better when playing his absolute best, but it's not entirely about that, or about who's been better this season. And that's because that there isn't that big difference. We can also say that Hiller's curve is downward sloping, and Rämö's upward, if we take a look at their NHL-careers. That's not the strongest argument, but at least Rämö is four and a half years younger.

I don't know who's better choice to keep next season, so I'm fine whatever they decide. After all, these two goalies are both highly unlikely to be the future star goalie for the Flames that they can lean towards.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
IMO, Hiller overall has been better this season. Win % or not, he has more wins. That said, depending on the return I wouldn't hate trading Hiller and bringing back Ramo and have Ortio and him battle it out next season. I'm not saying to trade Hiller, but I'd be open to it depending on the offers.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
That said, depending on the return I wouldn't hate trading Hiller and bringing back Ramo and have Ortio and him battle it out next season. I'm not saying to trade Hiller, but I'd be open to it depending on the offers.

Yup, in fact I forgot to say that because I believe that Hiller has more value, it would maybe give a better return for us.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I still disagree. Hiller hasn't been clearly better, that's still a bad argument. As said, Rämö's winning percentage is better. In my opinion, Hiller is better when playing his absolute best, but it's not entirely about that, or about who's been better this season. And that's because that there isn't that big difference. We can also say that Hiller's curve is downward sloping, and Rämö's upward, if we take a look at their NHL-careers. That's not the strongest argument, but at least Rämö is four and a half years younger.

I don't know who's better choice to keep next season, so I'm fine whatever they decide. After all, these two goalies are both highly unlikely to be the future star goalie for the Flames that they can lean towards.
of course his winning percentage is better. He's played half as much and Hiller has bailed him out of 2 sure fire losses and their GAA and SV% weren't even close until his smaller sample size allowed his numbers to jump up considerably.

Bottom line is that the Flames feel Hiller is the better goaltender, which is clearly evident by Hiller playing considerably more.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Winning percentage has little bearing on who is better.

And lol at everyone saying Ramo has more room to grow. Dudes almost 30. What he is now is pretty much what he's going to be. Maybe a slight improvement, but this is the prime of his career right now

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Winning percentage has little bearing on who is better.

And lol at everyone saying Ramo has more room to grow. Dudes almost 30. What he is now is pretty much what he's going to be. Maybe a slight improvement, but this is the prime of his career right now

I never said Ramo has more room to grow, at least not to that extent. I said Ramo still has a bit more room to grow compared to Hiller, who is more likely than Ramo to enter his regressive years.

I am also going to say for goalies, the prime years are arguably in their late 20's and early/mid 30's. There is absolutely no reason Ramo can be much better than he is right now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I also think Hiller will be better for young goalie, people point at youngsters surpassing him as a negative; but what if that is a positive? What if him working with them and supporting them is part of the reason he has gotten passed by the youth in Anaheim?

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
I've been back and forth all year on the two.

Before the season started I thought Ramo was the better goalie.
I've flipped back and forth and now I have no idea.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
I never said Ramo has more room to grow, at least not to that extent. I said Ramo still has a bit more room to grow compared to Hiller, who is more likely than Ramo to enter his regressive years.

I am also going to say for goalies, the prime years are arguably in their late 20's and early/mid 30's. There is absolutely no reason Ramo can be much better than he is right now.

More like the younger goalies in anahiem are cheaper alternatives to hiller.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00