Which Goalie do we keep

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
When the season ends we will have two out of three goalies on contracts. Hiller and Ortio. Ramo is a UFA. All three have been good when called upon. Should we resign Ramo or just let him walk.

It a tough one for me but I would look now at all goalies that will be UFA. Then I would compare them to Ramo and if they are better and at a reasonable cost I would take the goalie. If not I will keep Ramo as I feel better having three good goalies rather than one for the reason injuries happen and it makes it easier on a team to have trust in three goalies then most team having only one. Example NY Rangers with Lunquist(sp?), Florida with Louongo, Chicago with Crawford. If they get hurt the team really does not trust their backup.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Ortio has to go through waivers next season. Management has already shown their confidence in him as his deal next year is a one-way. Not that they wouldn't be all that concerned about paying him an NHL salary in the AHL, but I doubt they'd risk putting him through waivers.

Pretty much no chance of Ramo being re-signed. He's either (hopefully) traded or walks as a UFA.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ortio has to go through waivers next season. Management has already shown their confidence in him as his deal next year is a one-way. Not that they wouldn't be all that concerned about paying him an NHL salary in the AHL, but I doubt they'd risk putting him through waivers.

Pretty much no chance of Ramo being re-signed. He's either (hopefully) traded or walks as a UFA.
Tep. It's simple.

Hiller is better than Ramo. Hiller is under contract for another year, Ramo is not.

Problem solves itself.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
When the season ends we will have two out of three goalies on contracts. Hiller and Ortio. Ramo is a UFA. All three have been good when called upon. Should we resign Ramo or just let him walk.

It a tough one for me but I would look now at all goalies that will be UFA. Then I would compare them to Ramo and if they are better and at a reasonable cost I would take the goalie. If not I will keep Ramo as I feel better having three good goalies rather than one for the reason injuries happen and it makes it easier on a team to have trust in three goalies then most team having only one. Example NY Rangers with Lunquist(sp?), Florida with Louongo, Chicago with Crawford. If they get hurt the team really does not trust their backup.

Chicago's back-ups are a combined 12-6-1 with a 1.87 GAA and .938 Save %.

You might want to spank that fact checker of yours.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Not gonna lie, I feel uneasy with either of them in goal. That said, I feel more comfortable with Hiller. Ramo's inconsistent form is just too unsetlling and if we do deal a goalie it should be him imo

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not gonna lie, I feel uneasy with either of them in goal. That said, I feel more comfortbale with Hiller. Ramo's inconsistent form is just too unsetlling and if we do deal a goalie it should be him imo

I hear you. I always feel more comfortable with Ramo, just because he always seems like he's more engaged and does a better job of tracking the shot. Hiller always seems like he's putting in as little effort as possible, and it just looks like he just relies on the puck hitting him. I know that's not accurate, but appearances are very deceiving. Overall I'm happy with both goalies right now. I just prefer the Finnish style.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
With Ramo's injuries and inconsistency, I'd rather go with Hiller. Hiller is still inconsistent, but he's been a capable starter for the Flames.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hopefully Ramo goes on a stretch of wins and can snag a 3rd for us.
I highly doubt he will be traded at all, especially if he wins a few games. You don't eliminate your goaltending depth if you want to be a playoff team. You do not put yourself in a position to be forced to start someone with 8 games experience in a run to make the playoffs. Also what happens if Ortio or Hiller gets injured? Then Thiessen would be on the NHL roster, that is the last thing we want.

Now don't get me wrong, to start the season I think you can afford to have an inexperienced backup, but not down the stretch drive. Games are far too important.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That's a really good point AF, I've thought Ramo would be traded at some point all season, but now that playoffs are a legit possibility, it's not likely. It's a goal of every team heading into the playoffs to be sound in net, trading Ramo goes against that. I think he's here to stay.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I hear you. I always feel more comfortable with Ramo, just because he always seems like he's more engaged and does a better job of tracking the shot. Hiller always seems like he's putting in as little effort as possible, and it just looks like he just relies on the puck hitting him. I know that's not accurate, but appearances are very deceiving. Overall I'm happy with both goalies right now. I just prefer the Finnish style.

I agree with this post. I've always liked the Finnish style and Ramo's style is very attractive when on his game.

Don't know if at this point of the season, Ramo will be able to get on his game unless he gets multiple starts, which I doubt will happen because Hartley seems to trust Hiller more. Wouldn't blame Hartley though. Goaltending style aside, Hiller has simply been better at stopping pucks whichever way.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I highly doubt he will be traded at all, especially if he wins a few games. You don't eliminate your goaltending depth if you want to be a playoff team. You do not put yourself in a position to be forced to start someone with 8 games experience in a run to make the playoffs. Also what happens if Ortio or Hiller gets injured? Then Thiessen would be on the NHL roster, that is the last thing we want.

Now don't get me wrong, to start the season I think you can afford to have an inexperienced backup, but not down the stretch drive. Games are far too important.

I can agree with with this.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
If not I will keep Ramo as I feel better having three good goalies rather than one for the reason injuries happen and it makes it easier on a team to have trust in three goalies.

I think you can rest assured that they will sign either Jon Gillies or Mason MacDonald to take over the #1 AHL Flames goaltender spot for Ortio. Preferably Gillies as he's closer to NHL ready. Neither Ortio nor Ramo can play down there anyways, and we're not about to waste an NHL roster spot on a 3rd goalie.

It'll be up to Brad Treliving to pick between Ramo and Hiller, and right now Hiller is making a stronger case as he's only had one truly weak game this season (VSFlorida) while Ramo has had more that I can think of (@Florida @Buffalo off the top of my head)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think you can rest assured that they will sign either Jon Gillies or Mason MacDonald to take over the #1 AHL Flames goaltender spot for Ortio. Preferably Gillies as he's closer to NHL ready. Neither Ortio nor Ramo can play down there anyways, and we're not about to waste an NHL roster spot on a 3rd goalie.

It'll be up to Brad Treliving to pick between Ramo and Hiller, and right now Hiller is making a stronger case as he's only had one truly weak game this season (VSFlorida) while Ramo has had more that I can think of (@Florida @Buffalo off the top of my head)

Hiller also had a string of games where he let in a soft one at a bad time. We won some of those games, and lost some too. Off the top of my head he let in bad GWGs in Anaheim and against Chicago at home.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

McDonald is not AHL eligible next year and Gillies may return to college. While I would like to see Gillies sign and see him be the starter in Stockton next year you cannot ignore the possibility that the Flames will need to sign a AHL veteran to be the #3 behind Ortio; perhaps a Jason LaBarbara, Michael Leighton, Dan Ellis or Peter Budaj.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
McDonald is not AHL eligible next year and Gillies may return to college. While I would like to see Gillies sign and see him be the starter in Stockton next year you cannot ignore the possibility that the Flames will need to sign a AHL veteran to be the #3 behind Ortio; perhaps a Jason LaBarbara, Michael Leighton, Dan Ellis or Peter Budaj.

I kinda wish we still had Laurent Brossoit

Florian

Nov 23, 2014
Dublin
Keep Hiller and Ortio. Hiller's style doesn't look pretty but does the job and I think he has a really good season for us. He's proven and solid enough, and I'd feel more comfortable with him in goal than Ramo.

Ortio was excellent this year when he had the chance to the class. He's young and still developing with obvious talent. So makes sense to keep him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Meh, I'm sure Brossoit will be in the NHL at some point but he would still be behind Ortio here. Horak is gone, so really that leaves Brossoit for Smid. Ladislav has had a down year for us but he was excellent last year. I really think something is up with him, maybe he's been distracted by being a father, maybe he's hurt, I dunno. Something is up with him, but he's had an off year. In years previous though, he's been an excellent top 4 dman. I'd still make that trade 10 out of times. There are literally no guarantees that Brossoit becomes a starting goalie in the NHL, and he would of been behind others here anyways. We made a deal from a position of strength to fill a hole.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Both, don't see Ramo garnering enough in a trade to make giving up our backup worth it. Keep them, if Ramo walks at the end of the year its honestly no big deal at this point. We have Ortio ready to fill the backup roll next season.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think the Oilers would be winning that trade had Horak stayed in the NHL. I don't know why he never cracked the Oiler lineup for a long period of time, he was a good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad