OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
2010-11 35 games played 12-13-8 .916
2011-12 47 games played 20-20-3 .914
2012-13 38 games played 14-16-6 .920
2014-15 53 games played, 35-11-3, .930

This isn't his first strong year. It's his 4th strong season in 5 years. 3 of those were spent playing on the Oilers during a scorched earth rebuild.

The year under Eakins was a bad one, but it was his only poor one.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Still doesn't justify 5.5 per.

5.5 is average established starter money. If Dubnyk proves to be an elite starter like he is this season, then it's a steal. It's definitely going to be what the Dubnyk camp is looking for, that's for sure.

EDIT: Upon further review, average starter money would be something closer to 4.5. So that would be a little high.

May 27, 2012
Earth
5.5 is average established starter money. If Dubnyk proves to be an elite starter like he is this season, then it's a steal. It's definitely going to be what the Dubnyk camp is looking for, that's for sure.

EDIT: Upon further review, average starter money would be something closer to 4.5. So that would be a little high.

I can understand 4.5 but not 5.5, especially for 7 years.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
That still isn't a good contract.

Why is that? It's a smaller cap hit than Rinne, Price, Bobrovsky, Crawford, Lundqvuist, Varlamov, Schneider, Rask, Quick. A 5 year term is easily movable if it for some reason doesn't work out, especially for a guy who's ever finished 2nd/3rd in Vezina voting - which he pretty much certainly will.

And he's establishing himself as very much in that tier. He had one off-year under Eakins (as if he's the only to do that?) but he's been a performer for most of his career.

Let's get real, if we do resign Ramo, he'll be upped for around the same term and he'll be making at least 4 million or more, and his best season he's posted a worse save percentage than Dubnyk's 4th best season.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
He was also excellent with Coyotes - .916 / 2.72GAA / 9-5-2 - a 100+ point winning pace for a team that's current 2nd worst in the league.

He won't be posting a .939 with us but at least he won't be posting a .939 for one of our biggest conference rivals.

Edmonton tried to break him, he bent, but now he's the 2nd best goaltender in the NHL.

Eh, there's a lot of goaltenders I'd take over Dubnyk; a little more than half a season of stellar play does not make one an established starter worth number one money over five years. Simply way too much risk that he doesn't live up to that.

On the flip side, a short term deal deal in which he continued his play would only see him make marginally more on a long term deal; ~6.5M per.

Besides, with Ortio and Gillies in the system, and Ramo/Hiller providing more than adequate stopgap tending, Dubnyk isn't a pressing need whatsoever, especially at that cap hit and term.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
At this point, pick a goalie and roll with him

I pick Hiller

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Eh, there's a lot of goaltenders I'd take over Dubnyk; a little more than half a season of stellar play does not make one an established starter worth number one money over five years. Simply way too much risk that he doesn't live up to that.

On the flip side, a short term deal deal in which he continued his play would only see him make marginally more on a long term deal; ~6.5M per.

Besides, with Ortio and Gillies in the system, and Ramo/Hiller providing more than adequate stopgap tending, Dubnyk isn't a pressing need whatsoever, especially at that cap hit and term.
that much money for that term for Dubnyk would quickly become one of the worst contracts in the NHL

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
4.5 on a 2 year deal is the VERY most any team should pay for Duby. He's still getting a very good salary, but his sample size is just to small to pay him more or give a longer term, see Turek. Never a sign a goalie long term on a hot streak.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Which one would start game one if you guys make the playoffs? (I hope so!)
I'm thinking Hiller due to his post season experience, but whoever is in net, could be replaced shortly if he makes mistakes.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'm thinking Hiller due to his post season experience, but whoever is in net, could be replaced shortly if he makes mistakes.

That applies to every team.

I think it will come down to these last 6 games. If Ramo plays well, he'll get the start. If not, it will be Hiller.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I kinda feel like it's fate that Hiller will be played more to end the season. He has playoff experience and should we make it, I think Hartley would ever so slightly prefer to play him. Of course, in the end the more deciding factor will be who is playing better. And over the last few weeks, I'd say you count on a hand the goalies that have played at a higher level than Ramo, he's really been superb. I think Hartley has a really good pulse on the team and will roll with whoever his hunch is telling him to.

Aug 21, 2014
Dubnyk is probably going to stay in Minnesota. 2 reasons:

1. Dubynk has bounced around enough.
2. Minnesota hasn't seen this much quality goaltending In along time.

Contract wise, it'll probably be a 1-2 year show me deal. Probably under 4.0m AAV.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

I'd probably go Hiller for the first game. If he doesn't do well, I'll try Ramo for game 2. Reevaluate from there.

Of course, the obvious approach would be whoever is playing better in the last bit of the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad