GDT: Which cheap rental is going to anger us in 23-24? roster building

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
i dont know what we would do with Kane. We are nonsensically holding on to the 3rd line make up. our top FA winger signing is playing the 4th line due to this.

get crazy i guess

Svech-Aho-Jarvis
Bunting-KK-Kane
Marty-Staal-Fast
Noesen-Turbo-Necas
Yep. The Staal line should play 10 minutes tops. Yes, if we are holding a lead late, put em out there. Win a draw at a crucial time? Sure why not.
But watching the '23-'24 version of this line try to generate anything offensively is becoming comical. When they go on a rush at a home game, and the crowd starts to get amped up...I'm the guy that yells... "it's the Staal line, calm down everybody."

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Yep. The Staal line should play 10 minutes tops. Yes, if we are holding a lead late, put em out there. Win a draw at a crucial time? Sure why not.
But watching the '23-'24 version of this line try to generate anything offensively is becoming comical. When they go on a rush at a home game, and the crowd starts to get amped up...I'm the guy that yells... "it's the Staal line, calm down everybody."
It’s not quite that extreme. But no reason to give 2 4th line wingers top 6 5v5 minutes in an effort to give up the fewest goals possible while basically scoring none too.

Put Staal with 2 offensively capable wingers who aren’t atrocious defensively and let them start potting some goals. Get a 30 goal capable winger off the 4th line for goodness sakes.

Preferably in a weird situation where Kane joins the team:

Svech-Aho-Kane
Bunting-KK-Necas
Turbo-Staal-Jarvis
Noesen-Marty-Fast

Double shift either turbo or Jarvis for kane in defensive draw situations

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I mean, I'd love Kane even at limited capacity for nothing but dollars, but at the deadline he completely wrote us off for being a boring market to play in. Dude wants big city lights and girls throwing themselves at him in hot bubs on the roofs of skyscrapers. Don't think he'll come to Raleigh. Miami seems much more likely to me.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Weird time to be complaining about MSF. Per NST, they’ve been on the ice for just 1 5v5 GA in ~127 minutes (with 4 GF). Their metrics are comically good (70%+ in Corsi, Fenwick, high danger chances and xGF).
Its not weird when they are a black hole offensively. We have played a ton on the road so far so they haven’t played the tough matchups as much.

Add in its apparent that both Martinook and staal are slowing, taking more penalties because of it

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Once Calgary starts selling their pieces, I would still be interested in Coleman. Physical, plays on the PK, and plays defense well. A solid replacement for Turbo on the 3rd line.

If we knew Andersen was done, I would seriously consider Markstrom too

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Once Calgary starts selling their pieces, I would still be interested in Coleman. Physical, plays on the PK, and plays defense well. A solid replacement for Turbo on the 3rd line.

I would like the borg to aim higher.

Reactions: TheBigLetowski

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I would like the borg to aim higher.

We joke about Nylander on these boards due to those unfounded Pesce-for-Nylander rumors from back in the day, but with Toronto's current inconsistencies, Nylander's UFA is going to be really interesting. That avenue is likely our best bet for a big swing.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
We joke about Nylander on these boards due to those unfounded Pesce-for-Nylander rumors from back in the day, but with Toronto's current inconsistencies, Nylander's UFA is going to be really interesting. That avenue is likely our best bet for a big swing.
unlikely we are going to compete with teams trying to pay him 10 million a year to age 35.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Every time I get excited for a breakaway or odd-man-rush and realize it's the MSF line (which is about 70% of the time it seems), my enthusiasm completely dies before they even get to the shot, and generally the scoring opportunity dies seconds later with as much disappointment

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Every time I get excited for a breakaway or odd-man-rush and realize it's the MSF line (which is about 70% of the time it seems), my enthusiasm completely dies before they even get to the shot, and generally the scoring opportunity dies seconds later with as much disappointment

It's a catch 22. There is a reason they get plenty of odd-man-rushes. They out work the opponent. It's not the worst problem to have. Every now and then they do capitalize.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
It's a catch 22. There is a reason they get plenty of odd-man-rushes. They out work the opponent. It's not the worst problem to have. Every now and then they do capitalize.

I think that more wins in a string will calm a lot of the waters. We've been doing very well lately outside of a couple of games. Orlov and TDA stabilizing on the roster will also help a lot.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula

Markstrom is no good.

How about Saros? He would be expensive, though.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It’s not quite that extreme. But no reason to give 2 4th line wingers top 6 5v5 minutes in an effort to give up the fewest goals possible while basically scoring none too.

Put Staal with 2 offensively capable wingers who aren’t atrocious defensively and let them start potting some goals. Get a 30 goal capable winger off the 4th line for goodness sakes.

Preferably in a weird situation where Kane joins the team:

Svech-Aho-Kane
Bunting-KK-Necas
Turbo-Staal-Jarvis
Noesen-Marty-Fast

Double shift either turbo or Jarvis for kane in defensive draw situations
What offensively capable wingers have excelled with Staal other than Nino? Dude has been a black hole to play with most of his career with us.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
OK seriously, who should we invent as having a feud leading to trade rumors that make national headlines this time? We've already proven it can work with E Staal vs Skinner and .... whatever the f*** we did with the Faulk rumors that got the Edmonton beat writer to bite.
Not saying I don't love the idea, I do... but I'm not sure I want to run the risk of something we do ending up causing at kind of distraction or friction in the locker room with idiot reporters asking idiot questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad