• Creighton Snyder

• Erik Gustafsson

• Igor Shesterkin

Results are only viewable after voting.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It hasn't been perfect but I like the general approach from Laviolette. Being low-scoring and cagey suits this roster much better than trying to go up and down, and so far, the star players have bought into it.

I don't care if we're conventionally boring. I derive entertainment from being competitive and playing well. I'm not here to entertain the main boards.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
It hasn't been perfect but I like the general approach from Laviolette. Being low-scoring and cagey suits this roster much better than trying to go up and down, and so far, the star players have bought into it.

I don't care if we're conventionally boring. I derive entertainment from being competitive and playing well. I'm not here to entertain the main boards.

You entertain us, though, and that's what matters.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
In spite of the 4th line, not because of them. No player leaguewide with more than 3 games played has a worse xGF% than our fourth liners. None. At All.
The 4th line is half our pkers. You think we’re winning without their contribution on special teams? You’re wrong.

They haven’t played a ton of really good teams ( but at least did best Vancouver who was playing well and Winnipeg is at least ok) but a long road trip is tough and sweeping it is great

On paper those teams aren’t great but the trip itself is brutal playing every other night thousands of miles is brutal

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I skipped the first 12 pages......Canadian hockey analyst Cassie Campbell last night between periods said Helleybuyck was a better goalie then Shesty because Shesty is out of position so often and has to use his acrobatic abilities to make so many saves unlike Helleybuycck . I guess she never watched Hasek ! Then a second intermission guy they call O Dog O'Neill ? agreed with her......go figure. I changed the channel before the other two joined in on the crucification . Madness I say !!!! Hasek was the most acrobatic ever and he also might have been the best ever IMO even more than Brodeur and Roy/Henrik.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I skipped the first 12 pages......Canadian hockey analyst Cassie Campbell last night between periods said Helleybuyck was a better goalie then Shesty because Shesty is out of position so often and has to use his acrobatic abilities to make so many saves unlike Helleybuycck . I guess she never watched Hasek ! Then a second intermission guy they call O Dog O'Neill ? agreed with her......go figure. I changed the channel before the other two joined in on the crucification . Madness I say !!!! Hasek was the most acrobatic ever and he also might have been the best ever IMO even more than Brodeur and Roy/Henrik.
she really said that? HAHAHA.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Those teams are typically out by rd 2 or earlier anyway.

I'd feel better if they could do a little bit more 5v5 though. Thats been an issue for lines 1 and 3 though Line 1 just hasn't been able to finish the chances they have been getting (They've actually created more than line 2!)

And for line 4 to not be the rapture.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
I don't know how it happened or who gave it the green light, but whoever decided that Lindgren always has to be the triggerman in the offensive zone when he is on the ice needs to be fired. Lindgren is probably the worst offensively talented defensemen that I have ever seen that I would still call a good player. If I were the coach, I would tell him to never shot the puck again.

Wheeler is looking rough. I would flip him and Vesey right away. Vesey needs to get more ice and he can actually skate and keep up with Trocheck and Cuylle.
I've noticed over the past couple of years, that on occasion, Lindgren decides that nobody else is doing anything offensively so he might as well try to be Bobby Orr. It's quite easy to see when that happens. He ends up in front on the other team's net or becomes real aggressive in the offensive zone. It's not his game obviously but I just shake my head and say at least he's trying and has the hockey sense to realize that the forwards aren't putting the effort in.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
she really said that? HAHAHA.
I was like WHAT did she just say ???? I could not believe it ! Then she found another intermission dummy that agreed with her in Jeff O'Neill a former 40+ goal scorer for the Carolina Hurricanes . I shifted the channel to the ballgame before the other two spoke on it .

Reactions: bl02

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

I haven't really been bored this season, especially compared to the nonsense served up by GG last season. Once (if) the d get their timing down when to pinch to protect the offensive blue line and with some fine tuning here and there blabla the games should be more entertaining.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
The 4th line is half our pkers. You think we’re winning without their contribution on special teams? You’re wrong.
They’re getting completely decimated at 5v5 every night. Whatever good they’re doing on the PK (it’s not nothing to write home about) is completely offset by their non competitive shifts at evens.

As of right now you could get any human being capable of respiration and circulating blood to produce the same output as Bonino/Goodrow

Reactions: UnSandvich

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
None, but all that means is that they've gotten bailed out by goaltending.

Even if raw numbers is all you care about, they've contributed exactly NOTHING towards anything that even remotely resembles scoring a goal the last 2 games while conceding quite a bit. Other lines and/or players have had a rough go of it here and there, but they've consistently been terrible.
How does Bonino's ridiculously high number of blocked shots play into that? If the WORST line in hockey have given up NO goals, should I be overly concerned? Our D and goaltending must be good and maybe they are just victims of the fancy stats.

They’re getting completely decimated at 5v5 every night. Whatever good they’re doing on the PK (it’s not nothing to write home about) is completely offset by their non competitive shifts at evens.

As of right now you could get any human being capable of respiration and circulating blood to produce the same output as Bonino/Goodrow
So, any three guys could play NHL games and allow no goals. OK.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
How does Bonino's ridiculously high number of blocked shots play into that? If the WORST line in hockey have given up NO goals, should I be overly concerned? Our D and goaltending must be good and maybe they are just victims of the fancy stats.

So, any three guys could play NHL games and allow no goals. OK.

Yes, because they've only played 8 games and are being heavily out chanced. High danger for/Against for that line are 1:13. That isn't good defense, thats your goalie bailing you out. Your goalie is not going to be able to bail you out forever.

It's one thing if they were only giving up a ton of volume and not a lot of quality, but they're doing both while giving you no volume of anything offensively (literally nothing in the last 2 games and next to nothing the entire way so far.)

Just for reference, 13 is more than Zibanejad's line has given up - They've played more than double the minutes.

Dont get it twisted, that line is a massive problem and the coach knows it. As I mentioned before, their ice time has been reduced pretty significantly 5v5 and they are almost primarily sent out there with the top 2 pairs (even then, they've still found a way to be a problem.)

Its easily rectifiable, decent 4th liners are everywhere (we even have some stashed in Hartford.) I just hope that they aren't waiting to be burned multiple times until March before making a change. Theres really no need to play with a handicap.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Brodzinski and Edstrom, I'd like to see both on the fourth line. I know they wouldn't recall both (unless they completely move on from Wheeler or Vesey) but I'd like to see it.
To start I'm a big fan of Brodzinski on the 4th line. However, the team is winning and this process builds up a cushion against making rush changes. IMO Bonino is on the way to become this year's Carpenter (though he's inarguably a much better PK and it's an important factor). When will it happened? I don't know and I really hope not anytime time soon. Got to keep in mind that there're well over 70 games, we're still in October lol. Brodzinski replaced Carpenter "full time" sometime in December / January?

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I mean, you can probably find some decent PKers who won't get the shit kicked out of them 5v5 the way the fourth line does

PKing is mostly overrated anyways and our best PKers are Zibanejad and Kreider because they pressure the other team and sometimes score shorties.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I know it's upsetting when someone else talks flak about your fam, but I get where they're coming from, purely from a visual standpoint. Shesty is a smaller goalie and therefore has to cut the angles a bit more, and uses his agility and athleticism to cover that aggressiveness. When he's on, he's calm and smooth, when he isn't he's a little swimmy and flaily. RN he's a bit of both though definitely more on than off.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Can't believe what an awful shift Schneider had on that 2nd goal

Just mistake after mistake after mistake.

Costanza shift... should've done the opposite the entire time.

Reactions: will1066

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad