• Creighton Snyder

• Erik Gustafsson

• Igor Shesterkin

Results are only viewable after voting.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Also this, Gus starting to get exposed. It's all good as we have plenty of time to find pieces to help. He got turned around doing a 360 in his own corner by someone lol. Was ugly.
Gus isn't your defensive dman. If you're playing too much in your own zone he'll be exposed, much like most 3rd pairing players. Also, the teams with a little more speed have been beating them to pucks in their own zone. No real structure is going to help that, but rather reduce how often it happens. When you scramble or block a shot, that puck is going to an area they're most likely not going to get to first.

I see some fans wanting Jones to get a game here but I see no reason for Gus to come out, yet.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Just going to put this here for reference after last night...

Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 11.36.53 AM.png

Just for reference, the 2nd worst line in xGF% in the league is at 24%.

They have a higher xGA than the top line in less than half of the minutes played and are 1+ GA/60 up on our 2nd "worst" line in that regard.

The team is good at controlling the share of quality chances when the top 3 lines are playing... and are literally just conceding everything for what ever amount of time they're allotting the 4th line. That needs to stop. We've generated more chances on the PK than we have 5v5 when the 4th line is out there.

They've put up a goose egg in xGF in the last 2 games.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
A lot of this is passes putting forwards into a bad position. Just because a forward can receive a pass does not mean he has time and space to do anything once the puck is received...and we saw that all night long.
True

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Last year was his worst with the Rangers for sure and he did give the puck away a lot. There is no denying this, but he still produced offensively and led the team with 92 points with guys like Goodrow and Vesey playing on the same line. Only 16 players in the league had more points. People remember every give away but when it comes to his scoring they develop amnesia.

Your right!

I don't remember any scoring in the playoffs! Funny.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Gus isn't your defensive dman. If you're playing too much in your own zone he'll be exposed, much like most 3rd pairing players. Also, the teams with a little more speed have been beating them to pucks in their own zone. No real structure is going to help that, but rather reduce how often it happens. When you scramble or block a shot, that puck is going to an area they're most likely not going to get to first.

I see some fans wanting Jones to get a game here but I see no reason for Gus to come out, yet.
We don’t want Gus out, we want Schneider out

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
They haven’t played a ton of really good teams ( but at least did best Vancouver who was playing well and Winnipeg is at least ok) but a long road trip is tough and sweeping it is great
I agree and would like to add,.. the Nucks and Jets came at the end of their long road trip. And just to give you an idea how well the 5-2-1 Nucks played us,... Tyler Myers said postgame,,.. that it was their most complete game of the year. And even though we didn't get the extra point, it was a good game for us. And thought we deserved a better result.

And to add context to what he said, they shutout St Louis 5 zip the night before.

After that hard fought game, the fact we didn't have a let down against the Jets, says a lot. We might have been running on fumes, but we gave it everything we had and stuck with it. It was impressive, even though it wasn't pretty.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kreider needs 29 more goals to hit 300. It would take him to a total of 35 on the season.

He needs 136 to become the top scorer in Rangers history.

He's going to breeze by 300 this year if he stays on the ice.

It will remain amazing to me that when he's done playing, he will have had the better career between him and Stepan and probably by more than just a little bit.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
We don’t want Gus out, we want Schneider out
That would mean Gus moves to his weak side to accommodate Jones. I wouldn't do that until it's necessary, e.g., an injury by a dman. It was experimented with in preseason. Real game speed is different. It'll probably happen eventually in a long season.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

View attachment 760806

They have a higher xGA than the top line in less than half of the minutes played and are 1+ GA/60 up on our 2nd "worst" line in that regard.

The team is good at controlling the share of quality chances when the top 3 lines are playing... and are literally just conceding everything for what ever amount of time they're allotting the 4th line. That needs to stop. We've generated more chances on the PK than we have 5v5 when the 4th line is out there.

I’d take Brodz and Rempe/Edstrom as flanks for Bonino.

It’s clearly not going to work as is. How long is the leash?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's going to breeze by 300 this year if he stays on the ice.

It will remain amazing to me that when he's done playing, he will have had the better career between him and Stepan and probably by more than just a little bit.
Oh for sure. If he gets to 400+ goals, that's a better career than most.

Most people had the expectation of him being a "30/30 guy."

His current goals per 82 games average sits at 29.52 and it's climbing. He's doing the thing.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I don't know how it happened or who gave it the green light, but whoever decided that Lindgren always has to be the triggerman in the offensive zone when he is on the ice needs to be fired. Lindgren is probably the worst offensively talented defensemen that I have ever seen that I would still call a good player. If I were the coach, I would tell him to never shot the puck again.

Wheeler is looking rough. I would flip him and Vesey right away. Vesey needs to get more ice and he can actually skate and keep up with Trocheck and Cuylle.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC

View attachment 760806

How many actual goals against have they been on for 5v5?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Jones is probably fine as far as what you're going to get out of a backup.

I just wouldn't put him in if I didn't have to.
Seems to me Jones has a similar issue- he's almost identical to the player he was when we gave him a few games out of college 2.5 years ago. He hasn't gotten faster, stronger, or more dynamic. He doesn't have Fox's brain or hands to overcome his physical shortcomings.

I think he could have a great career in the Swedish league, but 2k2's critiques of his game have all been verified at the NHL pace.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
How many actual goals against have they been on for 5v5?

None, but all that means is that they've gotten bailed out by goaltending.

Even if raw numbers is all you care about, they've contributed exactly NOTHING towards anything that even remotely resembles scoring a goal the last 2 games while conceding quite a bit. Other lines and/or players have had a rough go of it here and there, but they've consistently been terrible.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
None, but all that means is that they've gotten bailed out by goaltending.

Even if raw numbers is all you care about, they've contributed exactly NOTHING towards anything that even remotely resembles scoring a goal the last 2 games while conceding quite a bit. Other lines and/or players have had a rough go of it here and there, but they've consistently been terrible.
Bonino's had more blocks than the New York Jets' offensive line. So, yes, the line has had to do its own goaltending in addition to the one in nets. The line has bailed itself out from some of its own doing.

Last edited:

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Worth noting, Lav is using them as a shutdown line in the most extreme sense of the word. With Vesey in, they literally haven't taken a 5v5 face-off in the offensive zone.
Screenshot_20231031-123436~2.png

Last year's numbers in comparison.
Screenshot_20231031-124148.png

Reactions: will1066

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Examples?

And no he's not a 2nd pair defenseman, thats why he's on our 3rd pair which for a 3rd pair, has performed exceptionally well of late. This is the best that pair has looked since I can't remember when. If this is what we get out of that pair this year the defense is going to be dope.

My issue is more with people cherry picking an isolated example to say that a player had a bad game or whatever while others get a pass despite actually being bad. We saw it with Miller yesterday too where he made an excellent read and strip at his blue line to force a 2v1 on the PK but then had his pass to Kreider deflected. Meanwhile Lindgren had either Laf or Panarin WIDE OPEN with no Jet within 5 feet of them and a wide open lane that you could have driven a G wagon through to get them the puck but instead he decided to try to walk the line and take a shot that was easily blocked annddd...

It may have been referenced by maybe one other person other than me, I think it was MH.

Long winded way to say that I'm annoyed with the double standards. I mean Fox basically tired to give this game away in OT and it was hardly mentioned.

Just to point out quick, I'm not trying to get Gus out of the lineup. I made a comment that is valid, whether other people deserve criticism or not. It sounds more like you're venting? I agree again, Lindgren is polarizing to me. I don't agree just from watching that he was as bad as you say, but you're also describing him a lot worse than I am Gus. He does get a pass often, you're not wrong in my opinion. I just don't think his game was that bad.

I chalk most of the bad from last night up to the end of the road trip. Only lineup change I'd like to see is flip Vesey and Wheeler and see what happens.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Worth noting, Lav is using them as a shutdown line in the most extreme sense of the word. With Vesey in, they literally haven't taken a 5v5 face-off in the offensive zone.
View attachment 760826

Last year's numbers in comparison.
View attachment 760828

Thats not what a shut down role is. That entirely depends on who they're matched up against. If they're out there against another team's top line, it's not because thats what the coaching staff wants (a lot of the heavy lifting in that regard has been done by line 3 lately.)

Them being leaned on in DZ FO's in relation to their usage (in this sense, because most shifts start on the fly) really comes down to 2 things.

1. Bonino is good at face offs. Like legitimately a skill that hes good at.
2. They ice the puck a ton when they're out there which results in DZ face offs where they cant change.
3. It's hard to get OZ faceoffs when you can't put a puck on net. They've literally contributed 0 SOG as a unit since Calgary.

Lavi has pretty much addressed that they are a problem with out addressing it. Their usage has slowly dropped over time and they're almost never out there with the 3rd pair but they're still a problem. You can get out chanced 4, 5-0 in 6-9 minutes of ES ice time like they have been.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Everyone is carried by their best players, especially when it comes to good old fashioned putting goals up on the board.

We have players capable of doing it. It's not a bad thing.

I just need them to play a reasonably competitive brand of hockey at 5v5. You need to get looks 5v5 in the playoffs for your top guys to cook. If we play good hockey, Panarin will do his thing.

So far, three lines have done that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
In regards to Panarin, I also really like the line he's on. It's much harder to just turn that line off by turning off Panarin.

Chytil is an engine type player who can go in and get the puck if that's what we're forced to do. The one thing Lafreniere does at a reasonably high level is finish chances.

It's a much better combination of talents than whatever iteration of Panarin-Panarin's Friend-Grinder we've been running.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad