Where would Morgan Klimchuk be drafted if he were in the 2014 draft?

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
Haven't seen or heard about Morgan klimchuck much this year. I do know he is highly skilled and will most likely be a top 9 nhl forward in the future . But were would his draft positioning be if he were in this years draft? Would he be in the top 10, top20 , or would he stay were he was picked last year at 28th overall?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
if the 3 Flames picks were eligible this year they would clearly be ranks 1-2-3

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say around #12. 2013 was a deep draft, bruh.

Monahan would probably go second or third. Poirier somewhere between #13 and #16.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In hindsight yes you could easily say that, but if we had no knowledge of them than we would have to rely on scouting reports but Monahan would be top 3 for sure.

You are probably joking but oh well. ;)
I was joking.

I do think however Monahan would be the 1st overall pick this year. I think the top 4-5 guys this year are more in the 7-10 range from the last draft.

I think Poirier and Klimchuk would both go 15th-20th this year.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I was joking.

I do think however Monahan would be the 1st overall pick this year. I think the top 4-5 guys this year are more in the 7-10 range from the last draft.

I think Poirier and Klimchuk would both go 15th-20th this year.

Agreed, I do think there are 5-6 players you can make that argument for. 2013 is gonna be one of the better drafts in a long time I think.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Klimchuk would be in 18-20 range for me. I still think that in time, Morgan will be a more productive scorer than Poirier. Yes I know I'm the only one that thinks that.

May 27, 2012
Earth
No Flames fans, not every Flames prospect is the best in their class. He would go 5th, after Ekblad and the three top centers.

luigi-death-stare-meme-mario-kart-8-02a.gif

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
He started out hot, then his production fell off a cliff despite given lots of starts in the Offensive sone against weak opposition. Potential wise, the three centers of this year simply have more talent.

Also, Flames fans, are you still happy with Poirier over Shinkaruk?

Lmfao you realize Monahan is 2nd in his draft class in terms of points. Most rookies struggle if that's a new realization for you.

Still very happy we took Poirier over Shinkaruk.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Klimchuk is gonna be a Gregory Campbell type of player IMO. Important role player that will chip in goals and play some solid D.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He started out hot, then his production fell off a cliff despite given lots of starts in the Offensive sone against weak opposition. Potential wise, the three centers of this year simply have more talent.

What does his production this season in the NHL have to do with his Jr. numbers and where he would go in this draft? And if your talking about production, I assume the "cliff" you are referring to was his foot injury where he missed 10 games, came back a little premature and was still playing partially injured. Once he was fully recovered, his production returned to normal. Monahan had a tremendous season for a rookie and was easily our most clutch goal scorer.

You have a right to your opinion, but seeing as how Monahan went 6th overall in what was the best in a decade, and then you suggest he would only go 5th in this years, well I don't think many would agree with you. Several people not associated with the Flames in the hockey world have stated Calgary hit a homerun with Sean. I can't see any scenario that he goes later than 4 in this draft and likely he would go higher.

And yes, very happy with Emile.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
I think we reach the same conclusion on draft position (right after the three centres in the 2-4 position) but for vastly different reasons.

Of course most of these top tier players have a higher potential: Monahan was a safe pick and was considered one going in. He's a player who would end on your roster in some capacity...not the star likely, but he'll be there and will contribute. He had all the qualities you wanted on draft day: poised, 200 foot player, and just seems to know where to be. That being said he's also not the most talented player in the draft nor does he have the best acceleration. So saying that Bennett, Reinhart, and Draisaitl have higher ceilings is not a huge shock. But to say they're better because of this talent alone is a bit of a mistake since draft position is influenced not purely determined by talent.

Some people knock selections like this but I think it's key to remember that drafting isn't is about getting the highest potential player but to pick one who has the potential/probability combination with a skill set you need. Monahan, while likely not the most talented player left at that point, would fit pretty much any centre slot in the top 9 an be worthwhile selection. Being a long-time first line player would be icing. For this reason (and this is the wrong place it put it, but let me go on a tangent), I won't be surprised if Eric Cornel sneaks into the mid-bottom 1st round this year: he's another safe pick. No great ceiling probably 3rd line centre at best, but he's got a good chance of making it.

As per his production, the question should also become: what did we expect of him? Personally, I was going in expecting a 30 point season from grinding and rebound situations, 3rd line play, and some learning in the NHL about how to be an NHLer in his first outing. So he's exceeded what I wanted from him. Could he have gotten more points? Yeah, but that shot % value was suggesting than he was running a little hot for points early and that his slump later was more of a correction and nagging impact of that injury (he had a slump where he was much less noticeable around Christmas). Could he be a career 15% shooter? Maybe. Alex Tanguay runs 18% since he doesn't choose to shoot much. I think Monahan will around 9-11% typically found in forwards. And if we correct for that, then I think he had a season that I pretty much expected him to have, give or take a little more time on ice by Hartley.

Personally, I don't see much reason to change the opinion of Monahan yet as a safe, stable pick with first line potential but likely will be a 1A player for most of his career. The stability and likely chance that you'll get a player of this variety is reminiscent of Reinhart in this draft (whom I have similar expectations for next season, should he make the jump to the NHL) and I'd put him just a hair lower than Reinhart/Bennett/Draisaitl.

As a Flames fan, Reinhart/Monahan as 1/2 centre would be hilarious and awesome (though I'm still hoping for Bennett). So much poise and calm going down the middle :laugh:.

I have no opinion yet. Activity and capability in CHL play doesn't influence my opinion much. When they translate to an NHL game, I give them a few years and see how they adjust. Some adjust great and some struggle. What it comes to me is that prospects aren't a short-term game and should be read over many years. In much the same way, I don't buy much into the Gaudreau hype yet since he's a forward who has to prove that he play against bigger, faster, meaner players each and every level he moves into...that is to say, if he's out-muscled and unable to find free space offensively he won't stand out as an NHLer.

I'll make my decisions about these players as they progress through their careers. They would both be worth an ELC in my viewings, but where they go from there is anybody's guess.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013

.... He broke his foot

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

He gt injured, he didn't just stop producing :laugh::laugh:

and even happier about Poirier than I was before.

Klimchuk is gonna be a Gregory Campbell type of player IMO. Important role player that will chip in goals and play some solid D.
Gregory Campbell? I think Klimchuk will have more offensive prowess than Campbell and be a consistent middle 6 player.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
He would go top 20, maybe top 15. There are some good prospects to be had this draft. Its seems to be pretty deep, all its missing is the top end elite forward like Mac.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad