• Marleau - Bozak - Marner

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • JVR - Marleau - Marner

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

nonikhanna

Feb 9, 2011
Maple Tree
Maybe they should just replicate the London line? Bring in a strong two way centerman at some point and shop for a long term power forward to pair with Marner.

What about Kapanen-Kadri-Marner? That would be an exciting line to watch. Skill, Speed. Marner gets 2 finishers with excellent defense.
The other lines can remain intact somewhat.
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
JVR-Marleau-Brown
Martin/Lievo-Bozak-Komarov

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Maybe they should just replicate the London line? Bring in a strong two way centerman at some point and shop for a long term power forward to pair with Marner.

That is essentially how one would surround Marner with players to bring out the best in him. A big power forward and a good 2-way Centre that plays in traffic.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Leafs fail scoring has dropped hard the past half a dozen games outside of the Matthews and Kadri/Marleau lines. Babcock shuffling the lines is definitely in order and sticking Marner with Kadri and Marleau seems like it could work well in theory (both Marleau and Kadri could play centre and both are goal scores whereas Marner is a pass first winger). I think it is definitely worth a shot, see if they have chemistry. Frankly, given the Leafs current funk the only line that should be untouchable is the Matthews line which has been unstoppable this season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think the intent would be to have Marner on a separate functional unit. Like how Toews and Kanes each do their own thing.
Agreed, Marner or Nylander will carry one line and Matthews the other

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If we had a player like Nick Ritchie, I'd be okay with a Nylander, Marner, Ritchie line.

Not to get into a Brian Burke mentality, but when you go on a California road trip and you play these Western Conference beasts, you quickly realize some of the limitations of carrying half a dozen guys who are around 6'0" or under: Bozak, Kadri, Komarov, Brown, Hyman, Kapanen who are meant to be your all around utility types on various lines to support the super skilled Marner and Nylander types.

At this point we need skill and size. And more elite skill too.

member 262271

If Hyman is indeed there to stay with Matthews for a few years, maybe Korshkov would be a good LW on Marner's line?

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
LOL I love this.
HOF Hyman = Hyman on Forecheck! He's a HOF player.
that is a joke

Maybe its just me, but I feel like Marner has made a pretty noticeable effort to shoot much more this year, and I think part of his struggles is that he is trying to shoot (or move into a shooting position) instead of making the wild plays he was capable of last season.
Actually, I believe the oppositions clog up the passing lanes and let him shoot; give no respect.

Last edited:

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Marner should be a center. He doesn't have the shooting to play a scoring winger. He doesn't have the body or build to be a board warrior.

What he has is crazy playmaking prowess and a slowly eroding two-way game.

Get the man in center and stop the bleeding before he's too far gone to save.

Reactions: DarkKnight

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I think they honestly have to move a body or two out so there can be more options for lines, and balancing two-way play.

Mitch will be fine though, no doubt about it. But if you're going to demote him to the 4th line, there are a few other players who could use a kick in the arse. Komarov being one

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Marner has 1 primary assist and 1 goal so far. He needs to be carried until his scoring wakes up. Switch him with Willie for a few games.

Reactions: The Cobra

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner has 1 primary assist and 1 goal so far. He needs to be carried until his scoring wakes up. Switch him with Willie for a few games.

I think you should reward good play and effort and Willie shouldn't be demoted to try and fix other issues. IMO

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Well, maybe if the goal was to get Marner comfortable that might make sense.
My guess Babcock is more concerned with getting the team comfortably playing their best.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Definitely.

He isn't McDavid or Matthews,.

Only 14 games into his 2nd. season, and hardly the time to panic over a challenging start.

But the Corsi.

Won't somebody please think of the Corsi?!?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The downside to having guys come into the NHL sooner is you usually still have to deal with development ups and downs while under more intense scrutiny.

Kid just needs time to find his game, his issue at the moment is clearly mental rather than physical, he didn't suddenly forget to play hockey like he did the season prior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad