• Marleau - Bozak - Marner

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • JVR - Marleau - Marner

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
What Marner should try to do more of, besides getting it to the net, is try to beat his man.

If he shows an ability to beat his man wide, or fake him out to get around him, that backs the defender off, creating some space.

Marner has all the skills to do that, but he doesn't, because he would rather skate around on the perimeter looking for the perfect pass.

Matthews, Kadri, they are trying to get around you to make an attempt at the goal to score, and not trying to get around you to make another pass. Marleau too, he goes to the net. The puck goes to the net or he goes to the net expecting the puck to arrive next.

Nylander is guilty of that too. He beats his man in order to make a pass. With his shot, just shoot!

Look at Hyman. He had one glorious chance tonight, because he beat his man down low. Did not score on the play, should have held it one or two beats longer to wait out the goalie seems like he did not realized he had the time, but that chance was better than anything Marner or Nylander got, simply because Hyman was able to beat his man.

Brown's goal, got position, in the dirty area got the goal. Marlaeu the winner yesterday same thing.

Marner is getting close, but someone should coach him, tell him do not expect someone to be open, you create your own space, and you have to try to score.

Otherwise, the games just play themselves and you never contribute anymore.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
He’s looked better with Bozak and Martin the last two games. Once the power play starts clicking I’m sure he will rack up points there are well.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Did everyone forget that shot he rang off the post early on in the game? Had that gone in, the Leafs would have woken up a lot sooner. Kid needs to be more selfish and shoot more.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Last season Marner surprised teams. This year there is no surprise. He's really easy to play against. Be on top of him because he will never out muscle you and take away any pass because he doesn't have a shot capable of beating a goalie. Like Kadri before him, not having an NHL shot hurts you. Kadri figured out getting to the net and bang in crap. Marner doesn't have that in his game.

Reactions: thewave

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think Marner just needs to be more of a threat to shoot and that will open up his passing lanes. Right now it's easy to just cheat and cover his linemates more because of the frequency in which he's shooting.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Last season Marner surprised teams. This year there is no surprise. He's really easy to play against. Be on top of him because he will never out muscle you and take away any pass because he doesn't have a shot capable of beating a goalie. Like Kadri before him, not having an NHL shot hurts you. Kadri figured out getting to the net and bang in crap. Marner doesn't have that in his game.

Easy to play against: I'll have to remember that in the years to come.
Out muscle you: That's not his game.
Shot can't beat a goalie: And yet it did 19 times last year with an untold future to enjoy.

He's never going to be a 50 goal scorer, I suspect, but come on Minus Mitch, this was pretty 'attack' mode commenting. He's a talented young player going through a rough patch. Many do and emerge as good as before and some better.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Easy to play against: I'll have to remember that in the years to come.
Out muscle you: That's not his game.
Shot can't beat a goalie: And yet it did 19 times last year with an untold future to enjoy.

He's never going to be a 50 goal scorer, I suspect, but come on Minus Mitch, this was pretty 'attack' mode commenting. He's a talented young player going through a rough patch. Many do and emerge as good as before and some better.
Rough patch? That started at game 60 last year. Keep hearing he will break outta this. He's just not anywhere near what we hope he could have been and never will be. His game style, that he's been able to play his whole life, just won't work at the NHL level. That's not an attack. That's an easy observation. Just gotta be willing to pull your head out of the sand.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Rough patch? That started at game 60 last year. Keep hearing he will break outta this. He's just not anywhere near what we hope he could have been and never will be. His game style, that he's been able to play his whole life, just won't work at the NHL level. That's not an attack. That's an easy observation. Just gotta be willing to pull your head out of the sand.
You are the Ben Smith of posters.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

You're right. I've said it as well but he is never displaying another dynamic. It never comes. I want it to, I am waiting for it but he keeps doing the exact same plays like a jitterbug. He gets caught coughs it up rinse and repeat. He gets a rushed pass out there at times and it works but, he certainly can't compete with big fast hard teams.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
You're right. I've said it as well but he is never displaying another dynamic. It never comes. I want it to, I am waiting for it but he keeps doing the exact same plays like a jitterbug. He gets caught coughs it up rinse and repeat. He gets a rushed pass out there at times and it works but, he certainly can't compete with big fast hard teams.
Hard for some to admit to that. We'd like nothing more for Marner to be the early last season version. But it's become obvious that that game is being taken away from him now.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You are the Ben Smith of posters.

No you know what, he isn't and neither am I because your little gimmicky personal attacks are so obvious. You know why? Because I can do something you can't. Come up with a counter point that's not a personal attack. You know actually make a valid point in an actual argument requiring intellect. Mitch has demonstrated difficulty against all tight checking teams. If you would stop sitting around posting under an alias that suggests you are someone clearly, that you aren't clever enough to be, well that would be nice as well. Maybe become Darkkite or something. Be respectful.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
No you know what, he isn't and neither am I because your little gimmicky personal attacks are so obvious. You know why? Because I can do something you can't. Come up with a counter point that's not a personal attack. You know actually make a valid point in an actual argument requiring intellect. Mitch has demonstrated difficulty against all tight checking teams. If you would stop sitting around posting under an alias that suggests you are someone clearly, that you aren't clever enough to be, well that would be nice as well. Maybe become Darkkite or something. Be respectful.
I don't have to take you seriously, and I don't. That's not a personal attack just an observation.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I thought Marner looked really good early on, and created two or three high end chances that could have easily resulted in a goal. Marner was the least of our problems last night. Lets face it some people can't like both Mitch and Willie, they picked a side and feel the need to slag to rationalize their narrow view. I love both, never played that lack of sophistication game, so I'll call it out and that's fair game. Agenda posting is boring, looking for negative things to say really says more about the source than the target. Love good healthy criticism, this bears zero resemblance to that type of critiquing.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What is concerning is that he has one lousy goal and it was into a wide open net as Mason was out of position.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Four guys on 1050 right now discussing how Marner was a lone bright spot last night. Carry on haters...LOL.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I would like to see what Marner can do playing with Matthews and what Nylander can do playing without Matthews. This will allow us to gauge what we have in both before signing them long term.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Add me as another who think Marner has been pretty good these last few games. Not great. Still not creating good enough chances, but last game he and Bozak kept the puck in the offense zone all the time, and had more than their share of chances.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Add me as another who think Marner has been pretty good these last few games. Not great. Still not creating good enough chances, but last game he and Bozak kept the puck in the offense zone all the time, and had more than their share of chances.

I also think Martin has had a positive impact. Not in the skill department but he's been hustling and working hard on the forecheck putting pressure on the opposing D which is helping create turnovers and getting Marner/Bozak some space.

This is one thing that the JVR-Bozak-Marner line was lacking. I think, in the future, if you can get a guy like Grundstrom or someone with some hustle, grit but more skill on Marner's line that it will be a boon for Mitch. He's getting better but he also hasn't had much support from his line mates until recently.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I also think Martin has had a positive impact. Not in the skill department but he's been hustling and working hard on the forecheck putting pressure on the opposing D which is helping create turnovers and getting Marner/Bozak some space.

This is one thing that the JVR-Bozak-Marner line was lacking. I think, in the future, if you can get a guy like Grundstrom or someone with some hustle, grit but more skill on Marner's line that it will be a boon for Mitch. He's getting better but he also hasn't had much support from his line mates until recently.

Martin is to Bozak/Marner that Hyman is to Matthews/Nylander.

Babcock's knows his skilled players function better when a line has a worker on it.

Both Marner and Bozak have been more effective with Martin than JVR.

In junior Martin rode shotgun with Stamkos in Sarnia, so this isn't a new idea either.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I maintain that Marner needs his Tkachuk. If Martin had more finish skill, he'd have scored a few goals off Marner plays by now.
Again it depends on how this team is going to be constructed long term.
At the start of the year it was JVR-Bozak-Marner. This line needs to be heavier with more defensive ability. 2/3rds of that line could be gone next year. Even if Nylander moves to C and we had a Tkackuk-Kadri-Marner line replacing. Nylander could work with Brown or Grundstrom as the default Hyman of that line. If Nylander doesn't move then we can acquire another solid C (don't need a star) for the Marner line.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I think Marner's been leaps and bounds better the past few games, although still not where he needs to be. At this point it's time to move him back up the lineup and let him settle into an established top 9 role without the heinous Bozak-JVR combo constantly on the ice with him. I'd leave Bozak in a sheltered 4th line role, keep Marleau at C, and move Mitch up with JVR and Marleau. I think he and Marleau could complement each other very well. Give him a couple games to adapt to that, and watch him flourish.

Reactions: DarkKnight

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Absolutely Marner looks better on the 4th, sheltered as much as possible. 100% O zone starts. Sure he looks better with Martin in this usage. As an individual teams are targeting his individual game and causing him to turnover the puck. They are making mincemeat out of his game.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Marner just needs a skilled player to work with... Bozak is NOT that.

Marner with either Nylander or Matthews would be dynamite.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Martin is to Bozak/Marner that Hyman is to Matthews/Nylander.

Babcock's knows his skilled players function better when a line has a worker on it.

Both Marner and Bozak have been more effective with Martin than JVR.

In junior Martin rode shotgun with Stamkos in Sarnia, so this isn't a new idea either.

They actually looked really good with Marleau in the third, much better than the last time they were tried together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad