Where does Tampa go from here?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Cap will go up, so you'll have at least $9 million in space. Buying out Callahan would save another $3 million next season. Move a salary like Palat or J.T. Miller (replaced with Volkov) and you have around $18 million, to spend on re-signing Point, Karlsson ($13-14 million for the pair?) re-sign Paquette and Erne to modest raises ($2.5 million total), and sign a couple of cheap defenseman for the 6-7 roles, as Sergachev and Cernak are both on their ELCs, and Foote will be on the farm. I would say getting younger on defense should be a priority, after watching Columbus dominate with their young defense. Ideally you move Callahan, to save extra $2million, but that might cost draft picks.

Not going to take Tampa much to move out Callahan. Plus will likely open his NTC after how Cooper treated him. If Tampa Retains his salary he will have tradable value. He was on pace for close to 30 points in a full season with 4th line mins and no PP time and is still very good defensively and on the PK.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I really don't know what happened to them. Think they just cooled down at the wrong time, might add that they need a player like Mark Stone/Jarome Iginla and someone who get under the opposing teams' skin or defends his teammates and that's pretty much it.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
This early playoff exit is this main core first early playoff exit that wasn't expected, they deserves another year without blowing things up to much. So many reasons to why this happened, but a few stand out to me. First, the Lightning ran into a buzz-saw in Columbus and the Lightning not playing their best Hockey was a recipe for what we all witnessed. The Lightning couldn't afford to play with minimal effort like what we witnessed during most of this series; Columbus was bringing way to much heat for all that happened. Columbus acted and player like team that wanted to play into the playoff and the Lightning didn't have that same fire or will behind them. Sure, game 1's outcome stunk, but it took way to long for the Lightning players to play with the needed effort to be successful within NHL playoffs. I'm curious to see how well Columbus does moving forward, and I want to see if the Lightning were just this bad right now or Columbus is just that good. I think it's a little of both, but time might shed some light on this. We'll get a better picture these next few rounds.....

Secondly, one thing that bothers me about Cooper is his feelings that fate, and breaks playing such a deciding role to how far one continues in the NHL playoffs. You see, teams can take of the demeanor of their head coaches and I've witnessed this happening throughout sports. Lightning have become mentality softer overtime and they're not the same team that use to play with a "We won't be denied attitude!!" After the whole Lightning bench and the world realized that the awesome Hedman was toast these playoffs from injury (He was still in cloud-9, shouldn't have played in game 1 or 2 if ya ask me). Sure, seemed like this Lightning team packed it in mentally after game one debacle. The soft identity Cooper has help create over the years in real for this team, the fog has set in folks. The players sure looked completely lost, not interested in playing lights-out-hockey, and were ruined after Hedman had such a game one collapse. Game 4 was way too late to finally show some kind of fight, way too late. But having such a passive, soft, excuse making head coach like Cooper doesn't help when things go bad, and its past time for a little tough love so this core becomes mentality tough enough, but I don't think this will ever come from HC Cooper (Maybe a no-nonsense assistant, who knows?) Cooper has been telling this Lightning team over, and over, and over and over after tough playoff loses.... "That's it's just not meant to be for the team, the bounces will be there next time around, and things just didn't go your way because fate wasn't our friend, but next time things just might work out for us". A team starts to take on the demeanor of GC and starts to believe what they're told over and over. When this team realized Hedman was toast, they'd most likely take on their head coaches reasoning instead of hunkering down. Instead of digging in their heels, they tucked, played tight, and the will to win was nowhere to be seen. I could see the players saying after game one debacle......."Well, that's the breaks and maybe next time we have everything go our way" Matter of fact, I think some of the players were quoted saying this type of stuff after this series. In terrible moments like losing teammates to injury (Look to how Canes reacted after teammate go blown up), blowing a 3-0 game leads, etc. You need the team to come together, you need them to fight even harder, and having the right leader to push them through these tough times would be nice. Instead of just sitting back thinking Dr. Goodbreaks will save us all!!!

This team folded like Superman on Laundry day this series!!!!!!! They seemed content with packing it in when faced with finally faced with some adversity. Plus, playing a darn good Columbus team poured gas onto an already healthy lit fire. Cooper is like the parent who makes every excuse in the book for their kids after failure, they blame everyone else for what took place, and even will grab at chance if there’s nothing else to blame. Hopefully this team gets mentally stronger or they’ll fold when their talent doesn’t cover up their shortcomings.

This whole Lightning team and coaching staff need to take a trip and stay @ a summer camp where they make you tougher, no excuses, and you're willing to run through walls to reach your dreams afterwards. Anyone know of a place? Mr. T's summer camp?? Something??????

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
The Cap will go up, so you'll have at least $9 million in space. Buying out Callahan would save another $3 million next season. Move a salary like Palat or J.T. Miller (replaced with Volkov) and you have around $18 million, to spend on re-signing Point, Karlsson ($13-14 million for the pair?) re-sign Paquette and Erne to modest raises ($2.5 million total), and sign a couple of cheap defenseman for the 6-7 roles, as Sergachev and Cernak are both on their ELCs, and Foote will be on the farm. I would say getting younger on defense should be a priority, after watching Columbus dominate with their young defense. Ideally you move Callahan, to save extra $2million, but that might cost draft picks.

Karlsson is the last thing the bolts need, they are already extremely skilled but very soft. They need a lot more tenacity and grit, bring in players that will perform in the playoffs, players that would rather die than give up on a puck battle. Cooper also needs to toughen up or be replaced, he’s softer than a marshmallow.

Last edited:
Reactions: dkhockey

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I'd tend to agree with this. It was still the best team in the league by far this year. Blowing it up - or doing any major changes - doesn't seem smart.

But - doing nothing also seems wrong after such a collapse.

I have no idea what they should do tbh.
Having their two best defenceman healthy would be a start.
With a healthy Hedman and Strålman they win that series.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Don't do anything crazy. Stay the course and learn from the experience. They are still a top team. Keep the core together and hopefully they learn how to perform in the playoffs.

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
When you step back and assess the team, their core is still young enough where they don’t need to make changes. If they want to shake things up, get rid of expensive depth guys like Palat, Killorn, Johnson, or make a coaching change.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Trade Stamkos for a tougher scorer. Get a heavier guy in there somewhere. Someone other teams need to think about.

Give the captaincy to Point.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
When you step back and assess the team, their core is still young enough where they don’t need to make changes. If they want to shake things up, get rid of expensive depth guys like Palat, Killorn, Johnson, or make a coaching change.

This would have helped their regular season, but those two were two of the few Lightning forwards that were any trouble for the Jackets to push around. Neither were close to their best this series but I can't see the Lightning improving by getting rid of Palat and Killorn. Maybe if you get a better bigger guy instead. Johnson, I'll give you, they can do without.

In any case we should be talking about additions, not subtractions. Dumping guys without an upgrade after a loss is a terrible way to run a hockey team.

Reactions: Viqsi

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
All 3 that you listed have full ntc for the next season or 2 until it drops to a mntc. Doubtful any of them waive it since it’s already built into their contracts that they owe a list to TB at a future time. Even if they gave a list, likely to be very short of 3 teams or so. And if any of them factored in the tax situation then the only teams that allow them to maintain that are Fla, Dal, and LV.

Your moves are guys without full ntc like Callahan, Miller, and Gourde whose ntc doesn’t kick in until July 1.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
They're not going anywhere.
A healthy Hedman and Stralman would probably go a long way.

I was also told by Lightening fans that them not being healthy was fine, as they had round 1 in the bag... :sarcasm::sarcasm:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Everyone is knocking down the door for expensive depth in a hard cap league. Especially expensive depth who are all in their late 20's, so likely on, or headed to, the downswing in terms of productivity.

The cap comes calling for everyone eventually. Even when you think you've got all your ducks in a row.

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
Too many former Flyers and Rangers on the roster.
Get rid of those.
Also get rid of Killorn.
This team certainly has a lot of skill and scoring in the lineup, but where is the grit and who provides it? Yanni Gourde?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Everyone is knocking down the door for expensive depth in a hard cap league. Especially expensive depth who are all in their late 20's, so likely on, or headed to, the downswing in terms of productivity.

The cap comes calling for everyone eventually. Even when you think you've got all your ducks in a row.
Plus they have full ntc. Not getting much of a list even if they were willing to waive which is doubtful since they have term and eventually have to submit a trade list later but not for another year or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad