Where does Tampa go from here?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I mean they're a great team. Changing anything would be dumb of them, aside from adding another top 4 Dman...they should do nothing.

This core isn't really a choker like many here say, they've been to a SCF, and have lost in the ECF in the 7th game to the cup winners.

So it's not like they can't get it done.

Trade Miller and Palat for decent picks or a Dman. That's about it.

Washington didn't do anything too crazy and they didn't even make it out the 2nd round. This tampa team has 3ECFs. Stay the course.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
If they're smart, they do very little.

It's hockey. Sometimes **** happens.
It's not just bad luck when you've only lost consecutive games twice all year( and one occurrence included a SO loss) and suddenly lose 4 consecutive when the games start to matter.

Reactions: haveandare

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
A serious response - They don't have a system that is suitable for success in the playoffs IMO

Edit: Thread merged so my response looks weird.
Exactly. People who brush Tampa's loss as happenstance are foolish. I didn't expect TB to lose in the first round, but I'm not surprised either.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Hedman wanted Erik Karlsson. After watching Werenski and Jones dominate this series, I'll be astounded if the Lightning don't make a strong push for Karlsson. Their defense was too old and slow, with Hedman shaken up, no one could step up. Now Karlsson is no spring chicken, but Hedman, Karlsson, Mc Donaugh would be a solid top 3, with Cernak and Sergachev still maturing as players. Wouldn't be surprised if Callahan is bought out too. That's too big of a salary for a marginal player. And a power forward, other than Stamkos, seems like a necessity, for a playoff run.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The playoffs are the ultimate small sample size. They are a great team who suffered at the hands of a team playing fantastic hockey at the right time while their own play dipped. It was an unlikely outcome, but anything can happen in the playoffs. If they're smart, they'll do their best to keep this group together and take another run at it next year.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
They try to improve their situation at RD and give this group another run. Maybe look at stripping Stamkos of the C but they shouldn’t blow it up yet, that would be stupid.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Rebuild. No seriously.

This is an all-time embarrassment. Fire everyone except Yzerman and restart.

Again, not kidding.

The Wings had bought more than enough leeway after 97-98 and then after 02. These Lightning have proven absolutely braindead. Garbage.
...you are of course aware Yzerman isn't there anymore, right?

I mean, this already strikes me as questionable advice as is even without the "remove EVERYBODY except the guy who resigned last year" bit...

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
AHL.png

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Hedman wanted Erik Karlsson. After watching Werenski and Jones dominate this series, I'll be astounded if the Lightning don't make a strong push for Karlsson. Their defense was too old and slow, with Hedman shaken up, no one could step up. Now Karlsson is no spring chicken, but Hedman, Karlsson, Mc Donaugh would be a solid top 3, with Cernak and Sergachev still maturing as players. Wouldn't be surprised if Callahan is bought out too. That's too big of a salary for a marginal player. And a power forward, other than Stamkos, seems like a necessity, for a playoff run.
They already have to figure out how to re-up Point coming off his ELC. I don't see any way they can add Karlsson too without some major maneuvering. Honestly they should try to move Stamkos and Miller. Both are playoff passengers. Kucherov has been bad the last two playoffs but I think he needs better leadership.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Make Hedman captain. Get some grit. They are soft as butter. Need a Karlsson type on defense.

I'm not prepared to say their window has closed. But they aren't winning 62 games next year. And they aren't going to cruise to a Presidents trophy again. And maybe that's a good thing.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I mean they're a great team. Changing anything would be dumb of them, aside from adding another top 4 Dman...they should do nothing.

This core isn't really a choker like many here say, they've been to a SCF, and have lost in the ECF in the 7th game to the cup winners.

So it's not like they can't get it done.

Trade Miller and Palat for decent picks or a Dman. That's about it.

Washington didn't do anything too crazy and they didn't even make it out the 2nd round. This tampa team has 3ECFs. Stay the course.

I think this'll be the biggest challenge for Tampa by far. They automatically become by far the most compelling story of the off season. Fire Cooper? Trade Stamkos? Strip him of C? Trade one of Kuch/Hedman? Blow it all up?

You can't really ignore how monumental a choke job/disappointment this playoff was for them. Doing nothing seems impossible in reaction. Biggest choke job in 100+ years of NHL history i think.

But - the smartest thing to do may be to do nothing, kind of like you're suggesting. They're still an absolutely fantastic team. Their goalie is one of the best in the league (he had a bad playoffs). Their offense is the best. Their defense is insane (and sure they can try to add EK or others - just don't blow it up) and one of the best. They even have a ton of young prospects, and depth, etc.

I think on-paper - they're already the #1 Cup Favorites for the cup next year - even if Caps win a 2nd cup. So it's a bit dangerous to overreact. But emotionally - it'll be hard for them not to.

The one thing I'll say about Washington is that i absolutely love for them that they lost in both 2016 and 2017. I don't think they do as well in 2018, nor look as confident in 2019 - if they hadn't gone through those losses first. Sometimes it builds character

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

They only have 6 million in cap space and haven’t paid Point yet...how exactly do you propose they sign Karlsson? Not to mention 4/6 of their D are UFA’s.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
They need to not overreact. Clearly, their team can win. Make small adjustments, not wholesale changes.

And while a lot was made of TB having no prior cup winners on their team, they don’t need to go out and acquire old slow guys with rings. That didn’t have anything to do with the reason they lost, but it seems like the thing they may try to fix.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Impossible. Trade him or keep the C on him. Taking a C off an active player - a superstar no less - simply tells everyone, teammates/players/coaches/fans/media - that you have no faith in him. That'll just hurt morale even more.

Taking the C off a player is never a good idea imo

Lil off topic, but this- like, they took the C away from Thornton. How. How do you do that? How do you tell a guy "hey, we think we were wrong about your leadership skills, so.. here's a new uni. Thanks, sorry, cheers." Just screams dysfunction, hope it doesn't happen to Stammer.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
They only have 6 million in cap space and haven’t paid Point yet...how exactly do you propose they sign Karlsson? No to mention 4/6 of their D are UFA’s.

The Cap will go up, so you'll have at least $9 million in space. Buying out Callahan would save another $3 million next season. Move a salary like Palat or J.T. Miller (replaced with Volkov) and you have around $18 million, to spend on re-signing Point, Karlsson ($13-14 million for the pair?) re-sign Paquette and Erne to modest raises ($2.5 million total), and sign a couple of cheap defenseman for the 6-7 roles, as Sergachev and Cernak are both on their ELCs, and Foote will be on the farm. I would say getting younger on defense should be a priority, after watching Columbus dominate with their young defense. Ideally you move Callahan, to save extra $2million, but that might cost draft picks.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Given their cap situation, only down.
You obviously do not understand their cap situation. Also the abysmal performamce will give them leverage for contract talks. A Conn Smythe performance by Point and his first round sweep performance are probably a couple of Mil. apart if not more.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Get some cup winners in there.

No, they just need the right personnel move whatever it is. The late 70s Islanders AND Butch Goring on the Kings both had records of playoff futility. Together, well, you know. The Lightning just need that missing element, and I don't see enough of them to know what it is. But players with past cup wins don't cause cup wins.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
Try again next year, make the small changes you can to get better. That's all.

I don't know if there are any good coaches available still.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
They're set up to do great during the regular season and implode in the playoffs. A player can't play through a whole season sacrificing their body physically and expect to stay healthy, but once the playoffs come it becomes all out and smaller players naturally get pummeled. Almost entirely different style of game when comparing the regular season and playoffs. Designed to implode in the playoffs when you're the smallest team in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad