Where Does Matt Rempe Go in a 2020 Redraft?

Where Does Matt Rempe Go in a 2020 Redraft?

• 1st Round

• 2nd Round

• 3rd Round

• 4th Round

• 5th Round

• 6th Round

• 7th Round

Results are only viewable after voting.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'd have him 7th among Sens picks

Tim Stutzle
Jake Sanderson
Ridly Greig
Tyler Kleven
Roby Jarventie
Leevi Merilainen
Matt Rempe
Egor Sokolov
Cole Reinhardt
Philippe Daoust
Eric Engstrand

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Most 6th round picks never even play an NHL game, let alone become a regular staple in the bottom 6. He’s one of the biggest name rookies this year and is a topic of discussion, it’s interesting to see where GM’s would value him now. I think he’d definitely go higher than he did. For reference no player selected in the 4th round of his draft has even played as many NHL games as he has.

Nils Alman being drafted 2 spots after Rempe and playing 105 NHL games so far makes this a bit less impressive, no?

Or Devon Levi who was drafted 47 spots after Rempe in the 7th round who has started 27 games as the goalie for the Sabres?

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Nils Alman being drafted 2 spots after Rempe and playing 105 NHL games so far makes this a bit less impressive, no?

Or Devon Levi who was drafted 47 spots after Rempe in the 7th round who has started 27 games as the goalie for the Sabres?
Other people outperforming the initial evaluations does not detract from the point of what those expectations are. There are always stories of people who slipped through the cracks. Most famously of course Tom Brady went in the 7th round. Mike Piazza was drafted in the 63rd round, which no longer exists in the baseball draft. Imperfect draft evaluation happens across all sports, and the relative overpeformance of some prospects doesn’t diminish the impact of overperormance by other prospects.

The players you named would certainly also be drafted higher in a re-do as well and, naturally, players who have relatively underperformed would take their places in the lower rounds.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Play below 10min on the 4th line. Can skate, dumb as a rock and take penalties. In 2020`s he is a VERY late pick. In 70`s would have been a 3rd...

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd say 3rd round because best-case if he wasn't going down the goon route, he could be developed into a 3rd line centre, penalty killer or a potential defenseman just like Chara.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Other people outperforming the initial evaluations does not detract from the point of what those expectations are. There are always stories of people who slipped through the cracks. Most famously of course Tom Brady went in the 7th round. Mike Piazza was drafted in the 63rd round, which no longer exists in the baseball draft. Imperfect draft evaluation happens across all sports, and the relative overpeformance of some prospects doesn’t diminish the impact of overperormance by other prospects.

The players you named would certainly also be drafted higher in a re-do as well and, naturally, players who have relatively underperformed would take their places in the lower rounds.

Given the fewer number of defensive and goalie roster spots on a team my point was their being drafted that late and playing much more significant time in the NHL makes Rempe's seem not that impressive.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Yeah, you can name specific examples, but overall, 68 players from the 2020 draft have played an NHL game.

95% of the players who haven't never will at this point.

Any vote less than the 3rd round is almost objectively incorrect.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
People are underestimating the value of a guaranteed NHL'er.

He doesn't go any lower than the 2nd round.
I'll be honest - Sullivan being around has dampened my hockey watching enthusiasm this season, so I've barely watched any games.

With that said, is Rempe a guaranteed NHLer in terms of ability? Or is he around because he can fight? In other words, just assume he never fought again would he still be valuable enough as a player to stick around?

Honestly asking as someone whose seen just clips of his fights.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'll be honest - Sullivan being around has dampened my hockey watching enthusiasm this season, so I've barely watched any games.

With that said, is Rempe a guaranteed NHLer in terms of ability? Or is he around because he can fight? In other words, just assume he never fought again would he still be valuable enough as a player to stick around?

Honestly asking as someone whose seen just clips of his fights.
He's effective to the point where we all want him to fight less and the team has stressed to him fighting less, which is why he avoided MacDermid.

He doesn't have a lot of offensive skill and as you might imagine, it's very easy to tie him up.

With that being said, imagine a bottom sixer who's great at forechecking, a legit 6'8", and is probably in the top 15-20% in the league in terms of speed.

The main thing that's been lost in all the fanfare about his fighting is that at 6'8", 240, this kid absolutely burns. It's almost impossible to not get NHL minutes out of that combination of size and speed.

Three rounds is 96 players. There's not gonna be 96 NHL players from the 2020 draft.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
People are underestimating the value of a guaranteed NHL'er.

He doesn't go any lower than the 2nd round.
Is he a guaranteed NHL'er? The guy is averaging 5:45 mins per game. Of the 66 players from the 2020 draft to play in the NHL, he's averaged the least TOI per game. Feels like it's just as likely that he never becomes an NHL regular.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Is he a guaranteed NHL'er? The guy is averaging 5:45 mins per game. Of the 66 players from the 2020 draft to play in the NHL, he's averaged the least TOI per game. Feels like it's just as likely that he never becomes an NHL regular.
He's going to get the short end of the stick in terms of ice time for awhile because Laviolette is one of the many coaches that subscribes to shoveling shit for awhile regardless of results.

It's an accomplishment that he's on the team at all, unlike Edstrom, Berard, and Othmann who are all better players than Goodrow.

He hasn't had a bad game yet (not counting penalties, which yes, is bad) and a team that has the best record in the NHL has designs on having him on the playoff roster.

The Rangers are healthy and are rotating 13 forwards the last couple of games. This isn't an injury plug. He's not coming out unless he does something stupid again.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Redrafts with hindsight are always loaded questions.

Better question would be where does he go in 2024 or get traded for right now.

I'd say 4th round with the information and sample we have right now.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You also have to consider that his TOI per game is skewed by a game where he played like 13 seconds.

He's actually getting closer to 7:30 a game at 5v5, and there's no reason to have him on special teams right now. His linemates are getting probably 9:00. It's closer to going rate than it appears.

Why is Goodrow getting 9:00 and Rempe 7:30? It's the NHL. We need to have Goodrow vet it up for an extra minute and a half.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad