Speculation: Where does Matt Benning land and for How much?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Watch Benning sign with the Flames and then turn into a serviceable dman.

c5f.gif
What are you saying? He already is a serviceable RH D.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
OK? I mean.. I guess??

I always viewed him as one of the weakest links on one of the weakest defense corps in the league.

I felt like we also had to shelter him to be "mediocre".

Reactions: TheNumber4

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
About 1.5 mil who knows where. Lots of teams could use a good bottom pair right shot D.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If he could move a little quicker, he'd be a 4D.
Sadly, he is simply a 6D and shouldn't touch anyone's top 4.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I got to see a lot of him in the last couple years and I honestly disagree.

What’s serviceable to you? He always stumbles when asked to play in the top 4 but he’s been excellent in the 3RD spot. Im sure they’d have no problem keeping him if it wasn’t for the flat cap and needing a spot for Bouchard.

Benning has given the Oilers quality play consistent with a solid 3rd pairing defender when he’s in the 14-16 minute range along with some great pk’ing.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And? They don't want to pay him $1.9m. That doesn't mean he can't come back at a lower pay. If the money's not out there, some guys would prefer to just stay home.

It's probably not even the qualifying offer. In most cases, the team is more concerned with the potential arbitration award, should hte player choose to go that route....

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's probably not even the qualifying offer. In most cases, the team is more concerned with the potential arbitration award, should hte player choose to go that route....
For Benning it was definitely the QO. We couldn't afford to have him making $1.9m on our bottom pair. There was very little likelihood he would've earned a raise in arbitration and probably would've been happy talking the QO.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I think Holland will try to resign him, just doesn't want to pay 2m qualifying offer.

I have alot of time for Benning, he's a nice 3rd pairing dman

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
About 1.5 mil who knows where. Lots of teams could use a good bottom pair right shot D.
Teams usually prefer players who can skate though. Benning will be out of the league soon, as I predicted 3 years ago.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think Holland will try to resign him, just doesn't want to pay 2m qualifying offer.

I have alot of time for Benning, he's a nice 3rd pairing dman
Why do you think this? Holland already tried to get him the F off this team with the Mike Green acquisition. Its obvious Holland doesnt want him on this team, and for good reason, he really really sucks.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
We shall see. He was one of the worst d-men on one of the worst d-corps. Transition is so important in hockey and he's a d-man that can't make an outlet pass to save his life.
Nothing you said here is at all rooted in reality

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Why do you think this? Holland already tried to get him the F off this team with the Mike Green acquisition. Its obvious Holland doesnt want him on this team, and for good reason, he really really sucks.

??

The Mike Green trade was to give the Oilers a puck moving defenseman / someone who could actually man the point effectively on the PP. Two things the Oilers didn't use Benning for.

He's got good fundamentals, I like Benning personally.

I think Holland was just trying to give the Oilers some extra help to see if they could make some noise in the playoffs (see the Anthanasiou / Ennis / Green acquisitions).

If they brought in Green to "get rid of Benning" why did they keep playing Benning then?

If there wasn't a flat cap the Oilers would have qualified Benning forsure

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Nothing you said here is at all rooted in reality

It is though, have you ever actually sat down and counted his attempted outlet passes per game. If you did, you'd see how absolutely horrible he is at that. Not to mention the bambi legs and falling down. We'll see, I know theres lots of Benning loyalists out there in Oil Country, but dude is not a player.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
??

The Mike Green trade was to give the Oilers a puck moving defenseman / someone who could actually man the point effectively on the PP. Two things the Oilers didn't use Benning for.

He's got good fundamentals, I like Benning personally.

I think Holland was just trying to give the Oilers some extra help to see if they could make some noise in the playoffs (see the Anthanasiou / Ennis / Green acquisitions).

If they brought in Green to "get rid of Benning" why did they keep playing Benning then?

If there wasn't a flat cap the Oilers would have qualified Benning forsure

And when he wasnt on special teams (the oilers btw barely even used him for that in his 2 games) he was planted squarely in Bennings spot on the 3rd pair. Benning played because of injuries if I remember.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
It is though, have you ever actually sat down and counted his attempted outlet passes per game. If you did, you'd see how absolutely horrible he is at that. Not to mention the bambi legs and falling down. We'll see, I know theres lots of Benning loyalists out there in Oil Country, but dude is not a player.

I respectfully disagree

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
Won't surprise me to see him back in EDM. They can't afford to keep him at 2m. But let him go to market, see what offers he gets. EDM will likely match anything up to 1.3m as they will need some depth at D with Klefbom potentially missing a full season and not a lot of experience around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad