Speculation: Where does Matt Benning land and for How much?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Baring a trade before tomorrow qualifying deadline Matt Benning is hitting free agency.

Where do you think he lands and for how much?

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him on the 3rd pair in Toronto the Leafs need a couple guys at RD.

Maybe he goes to Calgary they are losing a couple key guys in Brodie and Hamonic.

Maybe Tampa or St louis bring him in as depth.

Where does Matt Benning land?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
He’s a decent 3rd pairing RH shot D. Keep him in that role and you’re fine. Expose him to better competition, particularly hard forechecking types, and he can’t handle it. If he was one step faster he’d be a beauty. Really good shot. Decent passer if he has time. Once in a blue moon he’ll shock an opponent by stepping up and delivering a great open-ice hit. Not quite worth his QO, so no shock Holland is risking losing him.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Toronto. Vegas. Ottawa. Vancouver.

Lots of teams need RHD and might miss out in Free Agency. Benning at 1M is a solid option for a lot fo teams that miss out. The issue is the 2M from his QO.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Benning is an excellent third pairing dman. Does everything you can ask of someone in his role, but definitely struggles when he has to move up the lineup.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Nashville for 2 years at 1.5-2 million dollar range. Checks all the boxes Poile needs for a depth defenseman.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
You just know he'll sign with Calgary on friday... :(

I guess he gets 2x2

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He sucks. Horrible skater, can’t believe someone with his skating was even in the NHL. He literally can’t make an outlet pass, I’ve tracked and one game he went 1 for 8 on attempted outlet passes, icings are regularity for him cause he can’t hit tapes. He’s sometimes clumsy and will fall or drop his stick for no apparent reason. Once in a blue moon he will hit a beauty open ice hit. Does have heart. Is an opportunistic shooter and can create offense with his hard slapper, just doesn’t get to use it often. Other than that his offense is near zero. Been waiting for years for the Oilers to finally get rid of him.

With Bouchard incoming it was finally time to make Benning obsolete. Really could have done it earlier, I wonder if Gustaffsson and Marino would have signed if Benning wasn’t stapled to that 3rd pairing spot despite being completely shit at hockey.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If he’d take less than his QO I’m sure the Oilers would like him back.

I don’t think so. At least not the Holland Oilers, they already tried to replace him with the Mike Green trade. Don’t think Tippett, Holland, or Hitchcock (who I think is still an adviser to the Oilers) like him very much, and for good reason. He’s horrible.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Could honestly see the Flames making him an offer, we could use the RHD.
Watch Benning sign with the Flames and then turn into a serviceable dman.

c5f.gif

Reactions: Del Preston

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
He is a good top 6 D. If you were going to acquire him, it should he less than 2M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad