Speculation: Where does Kevin Shattenkirk sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Don't think the Rangers are interested in giving him either the term or cap hit he wants.

I think the Devils or Sabres go hard at him.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Don't think the Rangers are interested in giving him either the term or cap hit he wants.

I think the Devils or Sabres go hard at him.

the rangers need defence and they cleared a lot of cap with the stepan deal so i'd imagine they want to get him

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
I know Steve Yzerman wants him at Tampa and has most likely moved some cap space in order to sign him. Hoping he chooses another team though is overrated.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Did anyone hear him say he didn't want to play in Tampa?

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I know Steve Yzerman wants him at Tampa and has most likely moved some cap space in order to sign him. Hoping he chooses another team though is overrated.

He already nixed a 7 years $42 million offer from Yzerman in a sign and trade deal for Drouin, So either he wants no part of Tampa or he wants far more then what Tampa was willing to offer him.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Rangers got bailed out once again with cap space so I guarantee they do what they do best, overpay and regret it later. After seeing him in the playoffs I rather the Devils blow instead of spending a boat load on him (even if we can afford it)

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Rangers have about $20 million to sign 6 more players, I would assume Smith for $4 million per and Shattenkirk for $6.5 million per so they should if they sign 4 other players rather cheaply.

Yeah, the Rangers have plenty of cap. Mika is the only guy that will take a substantial number of that at probably 5 - 5.5. Depending on how much they spend and pieces they ship out (Holden in a trade, Klein retirement), they could conceivably fit all of Shattenkirk, Smith, and Thornton on the roster. I don't see them signing all of them but the money is definitely there for them to do different things.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Rangers got bailed out once again with cap space so I guarantee they do what they do best, overpay and regret it later. After seeing him in the playoffs I rather the Devils blow instead of spending a boat load on him (even if we can afford it)

How is trading a roster player for futures and paying a hefty buyout getting bailed out?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'll say somewhere in NY (Buffalo, NYR, NYI) or NJ. Sounded like he wanted to be close to home. If he takes another route, I wouldn't be surprised if he looked to see what TB offers.
Pretty sure Boston and Philly are both closer to where he's from than Buffalo. Hell, I think Montreal and DC are closer. New York is a big state with Long Island and Buffalo being almost 7 hours apart by car.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Pretty sure Boston and Philly are both closer to where he's from than Buffalo. Hell, I think Montreal and DC are closer. New York is a big state with Long Island and Buffalo being almost 7 hours apart by car.

****ing North Carolina is closer to where he's from than Buffalo :laugh::laugh:

New Rochelle, NY is a 45 minute train ride from Manhattan, maybe another half hour to Madison Square Garden.

Buffalo is a three hour drive from Cleveland, Ohio.

People don't realize how big the state of New York is - Buffalo might as well be another country if you're from the outskirts of the city where Shattenkirk lived.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
****ing North Carolina is closer to where he's from than Buffalo :laugh::laugh:

New Rochelle, NY is a 45 minute train ride from Manhattan, maybe another half hour to Madison Square Garden.

Buffalo is a three hour drive from Cleveland, Ohio.

People don't realize how big the state of New York is - Buffalo might as well be another country if you're from the outskirts of the city where Shattenkirk lived.
Yeah, I find sometimes people looking at geography on this site pretty funny. Being from Toronto, I know it's an hour and a half drive to Buffalo, while NYC is closer to 9.

I still remember people talking about Marleau wanting to stay in California because its close to his home, not realizing that NorCal and SoCal are like 6 hours apart.

Shattenkirk could easily end up in Buffalo, because Pegula isn't known for his restraint but it absolutely won't be driven by proximity to home. He's from Long Island, played High School Hockey in Conneticut and played college in Boston.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Buffalo isn't exactly close to Connecticut. He may as well sign with Boston, which is closer. However, the Rangers will sign him. Anything over 7 million on 7 years, better them than the Devs.
According to this article, he considers New Rochelle home

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20140126/shattenkirk-among-connecticut-natives-opening-eyes-in-nhl

Although Shattenkirk was born in Greenwich and played his high school hockey at Brunswick, he considers New Rochelle, N.Y., as his hometown. That was driven home when he was the recipient of some good-natured ribbing from his teammates when the team bus passed through New Rochelle on the trip from New York to New Haven.

The Blues took part in the White Out For Mandi charity event at Yale held in honor of former Yale women’s hockey star Mandi Schwartz, who was the sister of current Blues star winger Jaden Schwartz.

“Everybody sees New Rochelle on the exit sign and they are looking to give me a little chirping ‘Oh, there’s your hometown and what a dump’ joking around,” Shattenkirk said. “I train in Greenwich quite a bit over the summer, and it is always nice to be back home. You get to see people you know and you love the area.

“I think growing up in New Rochelle, there wasn’t much hockey down there, and it was a very close community. Everybody knew everyone and you still (have) people today who are very supportive. And having Greenwich as well as Fairfield is another place that kind of took me in and treated me well.”

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Didn't he decline a real good contract with Tampa who's a contender barring injuries?

That tells me the rumours about him wanting to play in NY must be true. Isn't he a Rangers fan?

The Rangers need a Top 4 RHD badly and got the capspace for him.

Feels like a great match for the team and Shatty IMHO.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Shattenkirk 6 years @$6.5M
Thornton 2 years @ 7M

Nash $7.8M is off the books next season. Lias Andersson joins in 2 years when Thornton is gone.

Rangers get a big guy who can pass and win draws. He replaces the loss of Stepan.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island

Yes, trading away one of their better fowards, leaving a hole at second line center is really being bailed out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad