Where does Albert Pujols rank among all-time greats?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Lol @ Frank Thomas or Jim Thome being better than Albert...

Just using their prime years:

Thome's 13 year prime:
.284 AVG, .416 OBP, .993 OPS, 447 HR

Thomas' 15 year prime:
.308 AVG, .429 OBP, .996 OPS, 436 HR

Pujols' 11 year prime with St. Louis:
.328 AVG, .420 OBP, .1.037 OPS, 445 HR

Now their career stats:

Thome
.276 AVG, .402 OBP, .956 OPS, 612 HR (8422 at-bats)

Thomas
.301 AVG, .419 OBP, .974 OPS, 521 HR (8199 at-bats)

Pujols
.300 AVG, .380 OBP, .931 OPS, 650 HR (10514 at-bats)

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Pujols could end his career 2nd in RBI's, 4th in homeruns, 5th in hits, 5th in doubles and 10th in runs

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
For position players, I would say Pujols is a top-20 player for sure.

When listing players better than Pujols, I'm surprised Mike Schmidt's name never comes up. His offensive peak, was never as high as Pujols (or Thomas) in terms of OBP, OPS, slugging % but keep in mind he played in the more offensively challenged era of the 70s and 80s. Fewer homeruns, bigger ballparks. He also played the tougher position as a third basemen and was quite good at it as evidenced by his defensive abilities.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
For position players, I would say Pujols is a top-20 player for sure.

When listing players better than Pujols, I'm surprised Mike Schmidt's name never comes up. His offensive peak, was never as high as Pujols (or Thomas) in terms of OBP, OPS, slugging % but keep in mind he played in the more offensively challenged era of the 70s and 80s. Fewer homeruns, bigger ballparks. He also played the tougher position as a third basemen and was quite good at it as evidenced by his defensive abilities.

Offensively he was quite the power hitter but he only hit over 300 once

Imo comparables to Pujols are A Rod and Frank Robinson

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
RE: Albert vs Frank Thomas

Pujols from 2001-2011: 170 ops+
Thomas from 1990-200: 169 ops+

Here's the difference though. Albert played 1700 vs 1500 games for Thomas over those 11 season spans. So he even had the better rate stats over a larger pool of games and stayed on the field more. Not to mention he added a ton of value on defense that Thomas did not (2 GG and +123 fielding runs for Albert vs -65 for Thomas)

3 MVP's for Albert, 8x Finalist vs 2 MVP's and 5x Finalist for Thomas

86.8 bWAR for Albert vs 58.9 bWAR for Thomas. Yeah, it's really not close to me.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Offensively he was quite the power hitter but he only hit over 300 once

Imo comparables to Pujols are A Rod and Frank Robinson

Well like I said he played in an era of bigger ballparks, less offense and fewer homeruns. Factoring in his defense, I think he surpasses the likes of Pujols and Thomas. During his peak years his OPS was comparable to some of Thomas' and Pujols' better seasons. Leading the league in homeruns 8 times is also very impressive. I'm not sure how many major league players surpass that number...Ruth perhaps? Can't think of anyone else.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Well like I said he played in an era of bigger ballparks, less offense and fewer homeruns. Factoring in his defense, I think he surpasses the likes of Pujols and Thomas. During his peak years his OPS was comparable to some of Thomas' and Pujols' better seasons. Leading the league in homeruns 8 times is also very impressive. I'm not sure how many major league players surpass that number...Ruth perhaps? Can't think of anyone else.
Schmidt was better than Thomas. Head to head with Pujols is certainly an interesting discussion, but I could see it.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009

But...I said he WAS quite the power hitter

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
The slander on Pujols name here.

Steroids? Ok where is the proof? Someone mentioned his physique...he’s always been big but also kinda chubby.

As for Thomas being better than Pujols, not a chance. Pujols has accomplished much more. It’s not even a debate.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What a weird thread this has turned out to be. From 01-10, he was an all-time great, but you could see the wear in 2011, he clearly wasn't the same player as his injuries started to catch up to him. Elbow, wrist, plantar fasciitis.

Lol at the PED, age, and Frank Thomas talk. Get the **** outta here with that.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i think its crazy how pujols is gonna end up spending more of his career with the angels than the cards

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
ah, you're right

counted an extra season there with the angels
He does have that 10 year service contract to fulfill, so that will be sort of weird. I'm curious to see if he'll be around Busch much. Typically the alumni are pretty active, and he's the former star to take over the duties from the really old guys. His playing return was pretty special, so hopefully that erased any potential bad blood.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
He does have that 10 year service contract to fulfill, so that will be sort of weird. I'm curious to see if he'll be around Busch much. Typically the alumni are pretty active, and he's the former star to take over the duties from the really old guys. His playing return was pretty special, so hopefully that erased any potential bad blood.
i think i read he's got a FO position with the angels guaranteed in his contract

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Where does the Angels' signing of Pujols rank among the all-time worst signings in pro sports?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Well the perception around STL is that it has high crime rates but that's usually blown outta proportion by the media as every city has its good and bad areas
Right, it's more nuanced with our city/county divide influencing the statistics, but in all these discussions people act like the rich people live anywhere close to the bad areas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad