Where does Albert Pujols rank among all-time greats?

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I did some research on Albert's full career up until this point and the more I look up his career, the more I'm confused as to why he isn't regularly brought up during convos which involve the greatest players to ever play the game. His stats and accolades throughout his career are actually insane and was easily the GOAT player of his generation (2000s).

His accolades include being a: 2x WS champ, 3x MVP, 10x All Star, ROY, NLCS MVP, 6x Silver Slugger, 2x Gold Glover, and 2x Hank Aaron Award Winner.

Statistically throughout Pujols' career he's got: .301 AVG, 3158 Hits (17th), 1812 Runs (19th), 650 HRs (6th), 2044 RBIs (5th), 653 2Bs (8th), 1306/1256 BB/K(45th), .380 OBP, .551 SLG (24th), .931 OPS (35th), 311 IBB (2nd) and a 100 WAR (31st)

In terms of seperating himself from his peers, Albert has led the league in virtually every main stat category at some point in his career: He's led the league in runs 5 times, hits once, HRs twice, RBIs once, batting average once, doubles once, OBP once, SLG three times, OPS four times, total bases four times and WAR five times in a row.

In terms of domination, consistency, and longevity Pujols hit at least .310 AVG, 30 HR, and 100 RBI for 10 seasons in a row between 2001-2010 and only finished outside the top 4 MVP race once. At his peak, he won 3 MVPs in a 5 year span between 2005-2009, led the league in WAR for 5 years straight and has four runner-up finishes in the MVP race. Additionally, he's hit over 30 HRs in 14 seasons, had over 100 RBIs in 15 seasons, hit over .300 for 11 seasons, and walked more than striking out every year from 2002-2011 (his BB total nearly doubled his K total in a few seasons too).

Finally, team success (every fans favourite stat), Albert's won 2 WS rings and played in 3 WS overall, won an NLCS MVP and had several signature games/moments in the postseason. His postseason stats were also very elite and are arguably better than his RS stats which is even more remarkable given how some stars' numbers tend to drop off a bit in the playoffs. Overall, he's surely gotta be top 10-15 all time given how he's won practically everything a baseball player can win and was very elite all-around for an extended period of time which can't be matched by most ppl in history.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Miguel Cabrera vs Pujols has always intrigued me as a comparison

As for Pujols, yes, he was dominant, but I don't think there's any doubt that he was a PED user during his career

I also buy into the theory that he's older than he says he is

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Miguel Cabrera vs Pujols has always intrigued me as a comparison

As for Pujols, yes, he was dominant, but I don't think there's any doubt that he was a PED user during his career

I also buy into the theory that he's older than he says he is

i'd say he's top 10-15 all time. why do you say there's no doubt he used PEDs?

i wouldn't be surprised if he was older though

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
i'd say he's top 10-15 all time. why do you say there's no doubt he used PEDs?

i wouldn't be surprised if he was older though

Because of his physique, and the fact that he was so dominant during the steroid era

Oct 18, 2011
Cardinals Pujols was considered up there with the best RH Hitters of all time

Angels Pujols has been an anchor on their organization and has really hurt the Trout era

His lowest OPS+ in St.Louis was 148...hes never hit that with the Angels. The only thing left that matters is 700 homeruns it's the only reason he's still playing

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He was one of the best ever during his time in St Louis however he fell off a cliff since in LA. He has only posted an OPS above .800 once in his 8 years in LA and that in his first with them. He has lost a lot of luster the last few years however what he did in St Louis was still enough to put him among the greats when all is said and done. I'm not a MLB historian but I wouldn't put him in top 20 just for fact he's taken such a fall from his 20's into 30's. The true greats did not have such a huge decline in their second half of career I'd think. Jimmie Fox, Mel Ott, Alex Rodriguez, Joe Dimaggio, Mantle, Honus Wagner, Stan Musial, Rogers Hornsby, Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, Babe Ruth all are clearly ahead of him and I haven't included a single pitcher. I'm sure there is plenty more baseball has a huge history going back to the 1800's. Pujols is a gret player but really there have been plenty more great players then him. Really who would you rather have Griffey or Pujols and Griffey didn't even make my list. Oh and Trout of course if he continues his play for another 5 years or so passes him to.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He was one of the best ever during his time in St Louis however he fell off a cliff since in LA. He has only posted an OPS above .800 once in his 8 years in LA and that in his first with them. He has lost a lot of luster the last few years however what he did in St Louis was still enough to put him among the greats when all is said and done. I'm not a MLB historian but I wouldn't put him in top 20 just for fact he's taken such a fall from his 20's into 30's. The true greats did not have such a huge decline in their second half of career I'd think. Jimmie Fox, Mel Ott, Alex Rodriguez, Joe Dimaggio, Mantle, Honus Wagner, Stan Musial, Rogers Hornsby, Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, Babe Ruth all are clearly ahead of him and I haven't included a single pitcher. I'm sure there is plenty more baseball has a huge history going back to the 1800's. Pujols is a gret player but really there have been plenty more great players then him. Really who would you rather have Griffey or Pujols and Griffey didn't even make my list. Oh and Trout of course if he continues his play for another 5 years or so passes him to.

I would put Frank Thomas ahead of him as well

Thomas in his prime was the most feared hitter in MLB and teams routinely walked him we never saw teams treat Pujols the same way

Thomas 94 season was IMO some of the finest play you will ever see from a player and we unfortunately lost the season because of strike. Thomas suffered several major injuries that cost him entire seasons its sad to think of what could have been

I am sure I will be called homer but Thomas certainly deserves greater recognition and Thomas was an absolute force thru 90's and one of the few players you can say were 100% clean (Thomas was the only player advocating for testing in 90's but was ignored by MLBPA/MLB)

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm a Sox fan and Frank was my favorite player growing up, but Pujols was better.

Edit: Just looked at Franks baseball reference page and saw he played 9 playoff games with the Sox and got depressed.

Reactions: Crow

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

Thomas in his prime was the most feared hitter in MLB and teams routinely walked him we never saw teams treat Pujols the same way

Thomas 94 season was IMO some of the finest play you will ever see from a player
and we unfortunately lost the season because of strike. Thomas suffered several major injuries that cost him entire seasons its sad to think of what could have been

I am sure I will be called homer but Thomas certainly deserves greater recognition and Thomas was an absolute force thru 90's and one of the few players you can say were 100% clean (Thomas was the only player advocating for testing in 90's but was ignored by MLBPA/MLB)

Thomas arguably wasn't even the best 1st baseman in '94

I say this only because just yesterday I was looking at Bagwell's stats and couldn't believe how dominant he was that season

Reactions: Cubs2024WSChamps

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Similar power, but Thomas seemed to get on base a little more than Pujols

Really just splitting hairs between them though

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I was saying to a friend the other week that Pujols has a legit chance at the all time RBI record

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
When he left St. Louis he was like a .330 career and now he's down to like .301. His career average dropped 29 points in now 7 and half years in Anaheim and he's still over .300.

That's how good he was from 2001-11. You can even throw 2012 in if you want.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Thomas 94 season was IMO some of the finest play you will ever see from a player and we unfortunately lost the season because of strike. Thomas suffered several major injuries that cost him entire seasons its sad to think of what could have been

As a huge 'Big Hurt' fan going back into the 90's and then witnessed his ridiculous season batting 140 ops+ with Oakland at 38, C'mon man. He wasn't better than Pujols.

These last 5 years have made people forget how truly dominate Pujols was from his rookie year until 2012. His postseason resume is also insane.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
When he left St. Louis he was like a .330 career and now he's down to like .301. His career average dropped 29 points in now 7 and half years in Anaheim and he's still over .300.

That's how good he was from 2001-11. You can even throw 2012 in if you want.

Yup, I was looking at this before.

He got robbed of another MVP one year because of Ryan Howard. :laugh:

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Thomas isn't better than Pujols.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad