Speculation: Where do you think Elias Lindholm signs?

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I wouldn't be surprised to see him circle back to Calgary for a lot less money.

He is familiar with the city, coaches, and players and I'm confident that the organization would bring him back.

Value as a centreman and right wing.

I don't think he'd command much more than 6M/yr and that wouldn't be bad value at all.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He'll sign with someone like Boston, and look like a stud again with quality offensive play-driving wingers.

I don't think he's really "Klingberg'd" himself nearly as much as some people are making it sound tbh. He's not having a good season and has been disappointing with the Canucks...but i think teams more or less know what he is and are still going to be willing to pay on a long-term deal for that what he offers. He's a facilitator, not an offensive catalyst, but it's rare to even see that kind of "complementary #1ish" Center on the market still in their prime.

Reactions: Nanuuk

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
He's not getting more than $4-5 million on a multi year deal. He might get $6-7 million on a one year prove it deal where he can bounce back or have a chance at a Cup with a top team.
You paid Ilya Mikheyev that so dunno where the 4 mill range is coming from.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Getting Lindholm and then keeping Byram a young future top pairing Defensemen (top 10 in future who knows) is better than just Mittlestadt.

I don't really disagree, but that's not really an option for the Avs anymore. I'd also say that keeping Byram wasn't going to be a long term option because he wasn't going to be content being the #3.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I don’t know what their cap situation is like, but I feel he’d be a fit in Minnesota.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I don't really disagree, but that's not really an option for the Avs anymore. I'd also say that keeping Byram wasn't going to be a long term option because he wasn't going to be content being the #3.

O haha. I sometimes can be dense.

I was talking about the Buffalo Sabres could do this.

Yea the Avalanche stick with Mittlestadt. Probably could see the AAVs being quite similar and one is younger.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I respect guys like Matthews going short term because they are such immense talents

But $72 million to turn down.

That sticks in the back of your mind.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
lindholm is gonna sign somewhere that he gets decent wingers (detroit with debrincat/raymond, boston with pastrnak or colorado with nuke/lehk) and is gonna be 'the steal of the summer'

he hasn't been great in vancouver but he's centering garland and podkolzin. none of them can finish

Dude isn’t creating much on his own and hasn’t even been that good defensively. He’s been a Suter/Blueger level player. Garland has been great most of the year and has looked worse with Lindholm. And Lindholm didn’t look any better with Pettersson either. I don’t see him returning to form with better wingers

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
If he is asking for 6+, I am sure Vancouver passes. He is not playing selke level defense here contrary to what some other posters suggested. In fact he is weighing down whichever line he is on right now. Pettersson broke out last night once Tocchet replaced lindholm with Garland. He is playing like one of those perimeter players that rarely engages in the offensive zone, basically no different than Suter. When Joshua was paired with Blueger, Blueger was a more effective offensive driver than what I've seen from Lindholm.

There is still time for him to figure things out though. But indeed, I doubt many will give him a big money long term contract looking at his lacklustre play, unless he breaks out in the playoffs.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
He'll sign with someone like Boston, and look like a stud again with quality offensive play-driving wingers.

I don't think he's really "Klingberg'd" himself nearly as much as some people are making it sound tbh. He's not having a good season and has been disappointing with the Canucks...but i think teams more or less know what he is and are still going to be willing to pay on a long-term deal for that what he offers. He's a facilitator, not an offensive catalyst, but it's rare to even see that kind of "complementary #1ish" Center on the market still in their prime.
I think he almost certainly has a decent sized long term deal for him on table this summer, doubt he needs to settle for a one year prove or anything like that. But the deal he supposedly had on the table from Calgary was like 8x9mil, which is 72mil total. So even if someone gives him something like 7x7mil as a UFA he'll still have cost himself over 20 million dollars.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think he almost certainly has a decent sized long term deal for him on table this summer, doubt he needs to settle for a one year prove or anything like that. But the deal he supposedly had on the table from Calgary was like 8x9mil, which is 72mil total. So even if someone gives him something like 7x7mil as a UFA he'll still have cost himself over 20 million dollars.

Ehhh...i'm not sure that sort of money was ever really on the table for him anywhere else anyway. And if it was, it probably still is.

I think he simply decided he didn't want to be part of where Calgary was heading, and decided to take whatever the market would give him instead. Which leads to the notion that he might've ended up taking less anyway, to pick his landing spot. If he wants to play with the Bruins for example, i think that was always going to be a smaller deal than what Calgary was reportedly offering.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
O haha. I sometimes can be dense.

I was talking about the Buffalo Sabres could do this.

Yea the Avalanche stick with Mittlestadt. Probably could see the AAVs being quite similar and one is younger.

No worries. It's easy to miss something in the original post when replying to a reply.

But I'm not sure about Buffalo either, since they have Tage and Cozens. Assuming things go as hoped for those guys, Lindholm could end up being a very expensive 3C.

I think he's more likely to go somewhere that desperately needs a top 6 C and is willing to overpay him. Maybe Minnesota, if they have the cap space?

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
And where exactly is this cap space coming from? Having 40+ million invested into 4 forwards is not enough, so I guess the solution is 50+ million invested into 5 forwards?

I think he's destined for the Bruins, where he's going to play with Pastrnak who has turned Zacha into essentially a 60 point player. He'll find form again on the Bruins
You didn't refute anything at all, and 7.5 per for a high end 2c is market rate. Tavares expires after next year as well and the Leafs would still have the cap room for a top 4 d and fill out the roster with younger players. Asking what cap without knowing a team's cap situation is really silly.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Lindholm is still going to get 6.5+ on a longer term deal. Worst case he's a 50ish point 2C that plays Selke defense. People suggesting sub-5m and comparing him to Klingberg are delusional. Klingberg was a 1 trick pony that was a liability when he wasn't producing.

I had the same thought, the Metro is weak as f*** and if they added Lindholm and did something about their goaltending, they could easily be a playoff team IMO.

I dont hate CBJ signing him to be competitive but they arent making the playoffs. NYR, NJD, CAR are not going anywhere. PHI is ahead of them, NYI with a quick retool is ahead of them. Not to mention the atlantic teams theyd be fighting for a WC spot

Last edited:
Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad