Where do you stand on moving Doughty?

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
It's a no brainer to keep him. We have no chance at another cup without arguably the best D man in the league, especially with our other supporting D characters. Drew has an awful lot of hockey ahead of him.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
We're not talking about the NBA where 1.5 teams have a chance. In the NHL if you make the playoffs your good enough to win a cup, just need to be on top of your game at the right time of the year.
True, we're talking about the NHL where it takes more than two or three players to win championships.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
You can't force him to sign a contract, this isn't the NFL there is no franchise-tag.

If Doughty wants to go try and win a cup and walk on water in Ontario there is nothing we can do. If we hadn't completely depleted our system with stupid trades for rentals maybe we can give it one more go next season before he walks. But if he is indeed going to Toronto or going to test the waters for the biggest deal, Blake needs to trade him next summer because it would be criminal to not restock the system before he goes.

Reactions: Vino

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
You can't force him to sign a contract, this isn't the NFL there is no franchise-tag.

If Doughty wants to go try and win a cup and walk on water in Ontario there is nothing we can do. If we hadn't completely depleted our system with stupid trades for rentals maybe we can give it one more go next season before he walks. But if he is indeed going to Toronto or going to test the waters for the biggest deal, Blake needs to trade him next summer because it would be criminal to not restock the system before he goes.

Whats the max deal he could get on the open market?

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
You can make the argument that that's what he and Karlsson will be texting each other about...

Pretty much what I thought. Wouldn't surprise me to see both guys get the same deal, probably north of 10 mil per season if Subban is making 9 plus already.

No matter what, Don Meahan is getting a HUGE commission for repping both.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
The argument can be made if it's all about money the kings are in the driver's seat. He might be able to get a little more per year but losing that 8th year is a big deal.
Say the kings offered a contract identical to Kopitar at 10.5M for 8 years. The 7 year number would need to be 12M. And since the contracts are guaranteed would you risk signing for less overall in the end? I know I wouldn't.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
For what it’s worth, on hot stove on hockey night in Canada tonight they discussed DD and EK and the article / comments this week. The consensus seemed to be that EK was more likely to leave Ottawa and that his comments were worse timed and worse in general the Drew’s.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
For what it’s worth, on hot stove on hockey night in Canada tonight they discussed DD and EK and the article / comments this week. The consensus seemed to be that EK was more likely to leave Ottawa and that his comments were worse timed and worse in general the Drew’s.
Melnyk hasn't been know to pay up. And I'm sure that's part of what's driving it.
But they are spending to the cap this year so that could be changing. But still a perception that persists.

Snyper8

Aug 16, 2005
Hesperia
Drew is a great Defensman but he is not even arguably the best in my opinion. If he wants TOP dollar then it's time to part ways and get what we can for him.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Drew is a great Defensman but he is not even arguably the best in my opinion. If he wants TOP dollar then it's time to part ways and get what we can for him.
I can't believe I'm reading this on our subforum.
Say he's not the best but only top 3.
That puts him in the top 1.38% of Dmen in the league. But that doesn't earn top dollar?
Tell me how you'd feel in your job being in the top 1.38 percentile and not getting a top level raise?
He shouldn't get a max contract which with the comments from uncle Gary would be $16M. But he likely deserves 10.5-11M. Which is still top dollar.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
How many HOF defenesemen have payed their whole career with the same team in recent years? I can only think of Lidstrom off the top of my head.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
How many HOF defenesemen have payed their whole career with the same team in recent years? I can only think of Lidstrom off the top of my head.

Different league back then in terms of movement.

But I figure Duncan Keith will be going to the HoF, so, him. I can't picture the Blackhawks ever moving him unless its the twilight of his career.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Blake has to pay the man, can you imagine being the GM that lets a player like Doughty go without trying your best to sign him, you wouldn't be able to walk down the street without getting things thrown at ya.

Is Kopitar likely to get all sensitive if Doughty gets paid more?

Reactions: KingTrouty

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Blake has to pay the man, can you imagine being the GM that lets a player like Doughty go without trying your best to sign him, you wouldn't be able to walk down the street without getting things thrown at ya.

Is Kopitar likely to get all sensitive if Doughty gets paid more?

Making $10 million per.... I'm sure Kopi could care less.

I would love to have Doughty at $11 per but if he asks for McDavid monies similar to what i think EK might ask for then you have to trade him. This is why establishing contract negotiations early is imperative, you establish he parameters and then draw up scenarios.. pro/con... This is why i think no matter what you need to sign a John Carlson as either backup or a Muzzin/Amart replacement.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If Drew doesn’t sign with the Kings during their exclusive negotiating window, then Blake should trade him for futures and ELC stars. Then back up the Brinks truck for EK.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
If Drew doesn’t sign with the Kings during their exclusive negotiating window, then Blake should trade him for futures and ELC stars. Then back up the Brinks truck for EK.
This would be the only consolation. But with Sutter gone, we're getting what we get with a lesser pure D talent, albeit a phenom on O, with EK. But EK wouldn't benefit from the tutelage of Sutter, ergo, again, "getting what we get". And we have plenty of forwards to produce with this new scheme.

YOU DONT LET DOUGHTY GO.

Disgusted at all the posts saying otherwise. We would never fill his vacancy, even with EK. Our best player, arguably, and part of both cup runs. A huge part. He's worth every bit of 11.5-12. EVERY BIT if that's what the market calls for.

Would you rather have Kopi and Drew for a combined 22-23.5 mil/AAV or Kane and Toews at a combined $21 MIL? No brainer for me.

Keep in mind, as crappy as the salary cap escalations are in the NHL, they (escalations) will make Drew's contract lesser of the piece of the whole pie as his contract ages.

Last edited:

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
This would be the only consolation. But with Sutter gone, we're getting what we get with a lesser pure D talent, albeit a phenom on O, with EK. But EK wouldn't benefit from the tutelage of Sutter, ergo, again, "getting what we get". And we have plenty of forwards to produce with this new scheme.

YOU DONT LET DOUGHTY GO.

Disgusted at all the posts saying otherwise. We would never fill his vacancy, even with EK. Our best player, arguably, and part of both cup runs. A huge part. He's worth every bit of 11.5-12. EVERY BIT if that's what the market calls for.

Would you rather have Kopi and Drew for a combined 22-24 mil/AAV or Kane and Toews at a combined 22? No brainer for me.

So you’d turn it down if somehow the Kings could turn Doughty into Nylander a frst round pick and EK?

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
So you’d turn it down if somehow the Kings could turn Doughty into Nylander a frst round pick and EK?
Oh hell no, I owuldnt turn that down LOL.

But that's a lot of loot. No, I wouldn't, Dr. Jeep. I love my Kings first and I couldn't pass that up as it helps improve at least two facets of our game/org, and EK is the second best D in the world.

We would never get that, tho, bud. Never.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad