Where do you stand on moving Doughty?

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I don't blame him for wanting more than PK. That contract is crazy and Drew is the better player. I think the Leafs are looking pretty attractive for him, so close to home, lots of attention, he likes Babcock and they have a good, young team. I'd be shocked if it didn't happen.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Nope.
But the article that is causing all this speculation had a quote on Twitter from an agent, not involved with either player. And gave the odds at 75% he's a King for life. Wish I had coped it and am not feeling like finding it again.

DP4emCCWsAAgGHG.jpg

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I think you need to look at the defense. With Forbort, Folin, Fatenberg, etc., it is not Stanley Cup caliber. The Kings had all of the 4 players you mentioned two of the last three years. The new system and coaching change are not going to make that big a difference to go from out of the playoffs to winning the Stanley Cup.

I did. Its the 2nd best in the league. The crap posted here can be quite amusing.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
"The 2nd best defence in the league" is fine and all, but it only works as long as Quick continues to shut down the disproportionately high number of grade A chances our skaters like to give up. We don't give up much but when we do its a complete fire drill. A big part of that is the experience level on the blueline. Adding more poise back there against the aggressive forechecks the Kings have struggled with wouldn't hurt.

Reactions: KINGS17

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
"The 2nd best defence in the league" is fine and all, but it only works as long as Quick continues to shut down the disproportionately high number of grade A chances our skaters like to give up. We don't give up much but when we do its a complete fire drill. A big part of that is the experience level on the blueline. Adding more poise back there against the aggressive forechecks the Kings have struggled with wouldn't hurt.

Quick is perfectly capable of shutting things down, remember 2012? A bigger problem than the D is lack of defensive skill from our centers. Its pretty much just Kopitar at this point.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Quick is great at shutting things down, I agree. Except when he isn’t. Thats the whole point of improving his support.

Forward defensive awareness is a weakness too, but Carter and Clifford will eventually return. So that problem should have an expiration date.

If Blake manages to address both concerns, the more the merrier.

Reactions: KINGS17

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Let's be honest, the window is closed. The Kings don't have the depth to win a Stanley Cup with this core group of players.

We're not talking about the NBA where 1.5 teams have a chance. In the NHL if you make the playoffs your good enough to win a cup, just need to be on top of your game at the right time of the year.

Reactions: The Night King

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think Blake will start negotiations as soon as allowed based on how he handled 70/73.

If this year ends up being a good one for Dew and the Kings then I think he should get an offer that he wants. My main concern is with the term if it’s a deal for the 8 yr max.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
I watched the Toronto/Edmonton game last night. Leafs look like really good and an addition of a 1D like Doughty via free agency would make them a very dangerous cup contender. Kings are going to need to pay him top dollar to stay in LA, otherwise the grass is very green elsewhere.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I watched the Toronto/Edmonton game last night. Leafs look like really good and an addition of a 1D like Doughty via free agency would make them a very dangerous cup contender. Kings are going to need to pay him top dollar to stay in LA, otherwise the grass is very green elsewhere.
Toronto doesn't have the money to pay Doughty what he wants. He can flap his gums all he likes about "just wanting to win cups", he will go to the biggest payday guaranteed.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

You're right, we're very high in high danger shots/chances against, one of the worst in the league there. However we're also taking our chances more, so it's a natural tradeoff, and allows our goaltending to shine. I'm not so sure it's a personnel issue, though.

DD is arguable THE missing piece for TML, which is why it makes so much sense. A Doughty/Reilly pairing, or Doughty/Gardiner, Ziatsev/Reilly setup would be phenomenal and allow those others guys to fit their proper roles nicely .

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Toronto doesn't have the money to pay Doughty what he wants. He can flap his gums all he likes about "just wanting to win cups", he will go to the biggest payday guaranteed.
Exactly, Toronto has massive contract extensions coming up.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I think you're wrong about this. Toronto would make room for Doughty and has the assets to make the Kings a very good offer if it comes down to it. Some of the assets they would move would give them some cap relief.

They also have van Riemsdyk, Komarov, and Bozak coming off their cap next season for a total of somewhere north of $11M. The Kings will ask for Nylander or Marner in any deal, and poof there goes another guy with a big cap hit in one or two years.

Last edited:

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Quick is great at shutting things down, I agree. Except when he isn’t. Thats the whole point of improving his support.

Forward defensive awareness is a weakness too, but Carter and Clifford will eventually return. So that problem should have an expiration date.

If Blake manages to address both concerns, the more the merrier.
Then you go with DK who is even better.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Honestly, if the Kings could get Nylander and Doughty won’t come back, you’d have to pull the trigger.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I think you're wrong about this. Toronto would make room for Doughty and has the assets to make the Kings a very good offer if it comes down to it. Some of the assets they would move would give them some cap relief.

They also have van Riemsdyk, Komarov, and Bozak coming off their cap next season for a total of somewhere north of $11M. The Kings will ask for Nylander or Marner in any deal, and poof there goes another guy with a big cap hit in one or two years.
Yes but didn’t you hear, if Toronto is getting Doughty it’s for a half eaten bag of Timbits. Not to mention the Kings are the only team that can give him that extra year. Marner, Nylander and especially Mathews are not going to continue making sub 1 million for long either.

Whatever, if Doughty really wants to go to Toronto, f*** him.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yes but didn’t you hear, if Toronto is getting Doughty it’s for a half eaten bag of Timbits. Not to mention the Kings are the only team that can give him that extra year. Marner, Nylander and especially Mathews are not going to continue making sub 1 million for long either.

Whatever, if Doughty really wants to go to Toronto, **** him.

Toronto can give Doughty 8 years if the Kings trade him to the Leafs. We all know Toronto is giving up either Marner or Nylander in any deal for Doughty. The Marleau contract isn't going to help the Leafs cap though.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
The Kings won't be able to sign Muzzin, and Doughty. Muzzin will ask for 6 mill, and the Kings will trade him, instead of Doughty.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
The Kings won't be able to sign Muzzin, and Doughty. Muzzin will ask for 6 mill, and the Kings will trade him, instead of Doughty.

We have a couple more years of muzzin on the books before he needs re signing. TTs deal expires at the same time (doh)

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
I hope the Kings hold on to their 1st, and second round draft picks for a while. They need to rebuild their system. The Kings may need replacements for T.T, and Doughty if they can't afford them. They Can't let Doughty become a free agent! Ottawa allowed Chara, Redden, and Volchenkov to become free agents, and none of them resigned with Ottawa

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad