Speculation: When would you start considering busting up the KGM line?

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
Ya I have to say Komarov is great to watch. Kulemin hasnt been the same since that plane accident and got pushed off the puck quit easily that led to the 2nd Buffalo goal last nite. The guy should be literally impossible to move if what they say is true: always in the weight room and last to leave praccy. I dont see the results, he is turning into another Ponikarovsky, IMO.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ya I have to say Komarov is great to watch. Kulemin hasnt been the same since that plane accident and got pushed off the puck quit easily that led to the 2nd Buffalo goal last nite. The guy should be literally impossible to move if what they say is true: always in the weight room and last to leave praccy. I dont see the results, he is turning into another Ponikarovsky, IMO.

It's the strange case of Kulemin for me, in Russia he was golden. Maybe he is getting older and missing Russian women, not sure if he is married but I think he needs foxy Russian tennis star Mynxkova or something.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Immediately- they've been garbage, the chemistry ain't there. I'd like to see Grabo centering JVR and Komarov.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Grabs, Kulemin and MacArthur all suck to some degree as individuals.

Grabovski has tunnel vision for a center, makes terrible off tempo passes that dribble into turnovers or end up behind his wingers and looks like he is in 2nd gear at least 40% of the season when he's not doing his Gilmour impressions and making fans forget the rest of play.

MacArthur is a somewhat lazy player who isn't particularly defensively conscientious, and only seems to shine when someone else is spoon-feeding him with bang bang plays. He's not fast, he's not strong, he doesn't care about winning puck battles.

Kulemin used to have some offensive instinct, but it looks like he's more comfortable just making the least technically difficult/creative play and running back to the bench.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Agreed. Can't believe he took down Scott last night and he is still contributing otherwise unlike in the Wilson days. It's good to see him not just go out for a fight, sit in the box, then sit on the bench for the entire game. He looks like he's in better shape too. :handclap:
The 4th line has been used perfectly so far. High energy, crash and bang shifts with some fist-a-cuffs when needed. Carlyle seems to have a knack for when to use them, often resulting in a momentum shift.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Leave it alone for now. These guys have been a dominant second line before, and they will eventually find their rhythm again if Carlyle is patient.

One of Ron Wilson's main flaws when he was coach was that he would never give set lines a chance to work their way through slumps, and it made it that much more difficult for the forwards to develop chemistry and consistency.

MrLegend28*

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050

van Riemsdyk flips onto the second line with Grabovski and Kulemin. MacArthur joins Kadri and Komarov.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009

van Riemsdyk flips onto the second line with Grabovski and Kulemin. MacArthur joins Kadri and Komarov.

Jake G is also on the ice taking contact and apparently feels good.

He's going to be a game-day decision, but he's ready to go now.

So I'd expect him in the line-up tomorrow.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Body language is every bit as good an indicator of who a coach plays and does not play as anything. If you see Kessel on the bench after slumping ten games hanging his head going into a shoot out, do you pick him or Grabs who is fired up and just potted one. Same with tenders everything, body language speaks to the observant what and when words can not. You can dismount your mechanical mathematical grabovski hating mechanical horse now.

I base line combinations by on ice performance, that's the way NHL coaches do it. Not on supposed body language or hatred of players, or playing favorites for some.

You yourself said Bozak and Kadri have been impressive, so I don't get what you are getting at with Grabo, Mac on the third checking line with my proposed lines.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Jake G is also on the ice taking contact and apparently feels good.

He's going to be a game-day decision, but he's ready to go now.

So I'd expect him in the line-up tomorrow.

Great move hope they find chemistry together.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

More finishing ability and size to play with Grabs and Kulemin, and MacArthur gets to ride the coattails of two higher energy guys.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
About midway through the season LAST YEAR when it became apparant that Kulimen forgot how to score goals. Mac and Grabo are fine, Kulimen has to start going to the net with authority like he did during his 30 goal season if he wants to score. If not Kuli belongs on a shut down checking line where his defensive play will be most appreciated.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
I'd give it a little more time, but if the Leafs continue to get less wins than losses do it sooner, rather than later.

Grabo always starts slow when the season begins(and I don't know why he always does, he just does).

I have no idea why Kulemin can't even get back to being halfway where he was. I think the turning point in his play and guts happened when Tim Gleason popped him on the nose.

It's a real shame, the guy is loaded with size and talent.

But what do you do? Swap Kulemin with JVR, or Kadri?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I base line combinations by on ice performance, that's the way NHL coaches do it. Not on supposed body language or hatred of players, or playing favorites for some.

You yourself said Bozak and Kadri have been impressive, so I don't get what you are getting at with Grabo, Mac on the third checking line with my proposed lines.

The point is body language and performance run hand in hand unless there is a luck factor. Kulemin started that game looking uninterested. From there he did ok at times made huge screw up and pretty much was the cause of the loss. Is it coincidence? Or do people display how they feel with how they act? How did Roberts look? How does Sid get when on his game it's just a common thing people in management look for in all professions. Kid lacks "spunk".

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I would demote Kulemin to a defensive role immediately until he wakes the **** up. He has been a black hole out there for 72 games now, people saying it's only been 2 must have short memories.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Another Russian that wears his emotions is Malkin, when he is off he off at the start and you can see it when they bench cam, the two share a lot in common with respect to demeanor yet very different play levels and Malkin gets like this from time to time where as Kulemin has been like this for a while inTO

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The point is body language and performance run hand in hand unless there is a luck factor. Kulemin started that game looking uninterested. From there he did ok at times made huge screw up and pretty much was the cause of the loss. Is it coincidence? Or do people display how they feel with how they act? How did Roberts look? How does Sid get when on his game it's just a common thing people in management look for in all professions. Kid lacks "spunk".

Kulemin never was one to display a lot of emotion even in the KHL, I don't put much stock into his body langauge. On ice performance is a better indicator. When he was scoring 30 goals a year, he rarely displayed any emotion, making a mountain out of a mole hill, the theory is silly. Get him a better playmaking center is the better solution.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kulemin never was one to display a lot of emotion even in the KHL, I don't put much stock into his body langauge. On ice performance is a better indicator. When he was scoring 30 goals a year, he rarely displayed any emotion, making a mountain out of a mole hill, the theory is silly. Get him a better playmaking center is the better solution.

I remember times Kulemin looked into it and smiling, he was scoring a lot then. Some of the play with Malkin was very inspired and some of the video I saw looked like a different Kules in khl. I will try and find some

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I remember times Kulemin looked into it and smiling, he was scoring a lot then. Some of the play with Malkin was very inspired and some of the video I saw looked like a different Kules in khl. I will try and find some

Guy, you are mistaking Kulemin for Ray Lewis, he's not a rah rah type of guy. There is no real difference from him scoring a goal now to 2 years ago.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
:facepalm:

Why would you say this in a way that implies this was a regular thing for him?

I think he would score 25 with Malkin, it's not impossible. When after he scored 30, I recall a thread here wondering if he had 40 goal potential. You don't think he has 25 goal potential with Malkin? I think if the Pens got him, he would look every bit a top 6 fwd.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I think he would score 25 with Malkin, it's not impossible. When after he scored 30, I recall a thread here wondering if he had 40 goal potential. You don't think he has 25 goal potential with Malkin? I think if the Pens got him, he would look every bit a top 6 fwd.

A cardboard cutout of Kulemin could score 25 goals with Malkin, what kind of question is that? And what is the relevance? You're talking about getting him a better center so he can return to his 30 goal form. Does it not occur to you that he is playing with the same center he scored those 30 goals with? And did for most of last season as well?

For you it's not Kulemin who has to be better, but his linemate?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad