Speculation: When would you start considering busting up the KGM line?

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Based on the responses in the PGT, it seems like quite a few people are content to leave the 2nd line intact for now, despite it being over a full season since they actually played well together consistently. This doesn't have to do with the individual players, but the lack of chemistry and offensive punch they've exhibited over that stretch.

It doesn't matter what what form that line busting takes. Demote Mac, trade away Kulemin, switch Grabo to the wing, etc. When do you think Carlyle should consider (and act on) it?

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Way too early. All the lines were off last night and seemed out of sync. I thought as tehgame progressed they seemed to improve. I thought in the third period I was starting to see the KGM line again. I'd keep it together for a few more games.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Grabo had a really slow start last season. When he picks it up you'll see that line start to produce.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Grabo had a really slow start last season. When he picks it up you'll see that line start to produce.

Last season, that took almost 3 months, and I think Kulemin got demoted to the 3rd line by then. How much time do you think we can afford to give them to find their game?

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
As much as I like Grabo and Kule, I'd give them half the season to get it together. Otherwise, I'd like to see if they could land us a top line center. (I know, pipe dreams)

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Kadris been noticeable out there, regularly creating scoring chances. I would definitely switch him onto that line and pull off MacArthur.

The KGM shouldnt be treated like some holy trinity. They had a good season two years ago.. Thats about it. They werent particularly good last year.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Kadris been noticeable out there, regularly creating scoring chances. I would definitely switch him onto that line and pull off MacArthur.

The KGM shouldnt be treated like some holy trinity. They had a good season two years ago.. Thats about it. They werent particularly good last year.
No way, keep him in the middle where hes doing work. If anything move Kadri to the first line, or at least give him some more ice time.

I'd give them till the end of this week to see if they can get it going.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think I would try to switch up Kulemin and JVR, see if that can kick start either player.

It's still a bit early to try and blow up the lines though. They have had their chances but just haven't had many bounces go their way.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
JVR needs to be in the top 6. he was brought in to help the top 6 but is being wasted on the 3rd line

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Should have busted it up last year at the trade deadline, a lot of people think this is the same line of 10-11, they are not, they haven't been for awhile. The way Grabo has played since Carlyle became the coach, after he lost Ron and gun. We may have trouble getting rid of his 5.5M salary. Atleast Kule and Mac are movable. Done, toast. I don't see the logic keeping a line together that was similarily cold at points of last season, and hot in others, inconsistency is their mantra.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Last season, that took almost 3 months, and I think Kulemin got demoted to the 3rd line by then. How much time do you think we can afford to give them to find their game?

It took Grabovski and MacArthur exactly 5 games to get going last year. Kulemin...well we all know that he never really started to produce.

First 5 Games:
Grabovski: 1 Goal, 1 Point
MacArthur: 0 Goals, 1 Point

Next 8 Games:
Grabovski: 4 Goals, 9 Points
MacArthur: 6 Goals, 7 Points

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
It took Grabovski and MacArthur exactly 5 games to get going last year. Kulemin...well we all know that he never really started to produce.

First 5 Games:
Grabovski: 1 Goal, 1 Point
MacArthur: 0 Goals, 1 Point

Next 8 Games:
Grabovski: 4 Goals, 9 Points
MacArthur: 6 Goals, 7 Points

Next 8 Games:
Grabovski: 6 GP, 0 Goals, 0 Assists
MacArthur: 8 GP, 3 Goals, 0 Assists

Next 9 Games:
Grabovski: 3 Goals, 2 Assists
MacArthur: 0 Goals, 3 Assists

It wasn't until Christmas time when the line started becoming a consistent offensive threat (for a month and a half, anyways). I honestly don't even care as much about scoring, I just don't want teams to be able to almost complete ignore the 2nd line, and them only managing for 3-4 shots on net combined per game.

I want teams to have to make a difficult choice on which line they chose to use their best checking forwards / shutdown defenders on any given night, and the other line being able to "punish" them on the scoresheet while facing less defensively capable opposition.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If one notices, Grabo plays more like a winger in the center position, there is a reason why his wingers struggle at times. He is not a good distributer of the puck. We saw this in the Montreal game where he made lone ranger one on 3 rushes, trying to beat 3 players on a rush is idiotic, and this has been part of his game since he became a Leaf.

Grabo is probably better on the wing, he's a shoot first fwd. If we are to break up this line, I would put him on the wing. A center makes a line go, they distribute the puck, they set the tone for the wingers. When a Center doesn't do this, his wingers suffer. Part of Kule and Mac's performance is tied into Grabo.

I would give Kadri a shot on the #2 line, he knows how to use his wingers, has great vision, and does something that cannot be taught, creates offence. Some players have it, some don't. It's not something measured in skating miles and creating nothing as the #2 line does at times. It is creating something out of nothing and Kadri does this everytime he steps on the ice.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
i'd break them up for the next game. reward kadri by giving him some bigger minutes untill grabo and kulemin get their acts together.

JVR - kadri - mac as the second line

kulemin - grabovski - komorov as the third line

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
They weren't good the last two games but no line seemed to be really clicking.

If people weren't so angry at them last game, they would've likely noticed that they were starting to gel again by the midway point of the third period. They were dominating board play, just couldn't generate anything in the slot.

I would keep them together one more game and then consider some shake-ups. If I had it my way personally, I would drop Kulemin down to the third line, put Grabovski on a line with JVR and Kadri, bump McClement up and trade MacArthur.

JVR - Grabovski - Kadri (scoring)
Kulemin - McClement - Komarov (shutdown)

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I'd like to see JVR - Kadri - MacArthur as the 2nd scoring line and
Kulemin - Grabovski - Komarov as the checking line.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Get rid of macarthur, he is useless

i think statistically macarthur has been far more consistent then kulemin.

id like to see what would happen if carlyle put the players in the positions where they should be playing. in positions where they will be set up to succeed.

ie;

bozak = 3rd line center with some offensive upside. why not put him as the third line center.

kulemin = 3rd line checking forward, great defensively and on pk, why not put him there?

kadri = nifty mittens. put him with players who can keep up offensively

id like to see;

lupul kadri kessel
jvr grabs mac
kulemin bozak frattin
brown mclemment komorov

imo orr isnt needed.

pp1 = lupul-kadr-kessel-phaneuf-gardiner (when healthy)
pp2 = jvr-grabs-mac-liles-franson
pk1 = mclemment-komorov-komisarek-gunnarson
pk2 = bozak-kulemin-phaneuf-gardiner

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Kulemin destroys that line offensively. He has zero touch, no offensive instincts, takes forever to get his shot off, telegraphs his plays and really doesn't have any confidence in the offensive zone.

I think it's time we realize Kule is a 3rd line checker.

Not that JVR deserves it, but at least I can see an offensive side to him- I'd try JVR-Grabbo-Mac

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad