Speculation: When would you start considering busting up the KGM line?

TSBSoupsta

Dec 29, 2012
Now. Problem is we have two good lines in Line 1 and Line 3, so it's hard to break them up without also breaking up those two good lines.

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
Yeah its MacArthurs fault though(kiddin)

:naughty:

I know SOG isn't a stat that determines EVERYTHING, but Mac at least has seven. I'd say the weakest links of the line so far have been Grabo and Kulemin, and it kills me to say that because I really like Grabovski.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Last night Kadri had about the same icetime as the Grabo line. I dont think this is about 'demoting' Grabo and JVR to 'promote' Kadri. I think it's more about getting Grabo and Kulemin going, and I think more icetime for Kadri likely means 1st PP unit.

While stating this, keep in mind that Kadri played almost all of the last 3 minutes as the extra attacker. One has to figure that, if the game was out of reach or we weren't losing that he would have had 3-6 minutes less than the Grabovski line.

leafspring*

Last night Kadri had about the same icetime as the Grabo line. I dont think this is about 'demoting' Grabo and JVR to 'promote' Kadri. I think it's more about getting Grabo and Kulemin going, and I think more icetime for Kadri likely means 1st PP unit.

I think its a message to the ones not going to pick it up. I think its a message the ones going maybe should be together,so the ones not can sit on the bench together,without messing up the decision flow much lol.

leafspring*

:naughty:

I know SOG isn't a stat that determines EVERYTHING, but Mac at least has seven. I'd say the weakest links of the line so far have been Grabo and Kulemin, and it kills me to say that because I really like Grabovski.

Me to i like them, just giving a honest evaluation with no agenda behind it at all.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
MacArthur and Grabovski I'm not concerned with, both are streaky and will put up their standard 20 goal paces. Kulemin I'd consider moving around to get him going.

member 147413

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kulemin
Mac-Bozak-Komarov
Brown-Mcclement-Orr

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Grabs, Kulemin and MacArthur all suck to some degree as individuals.

Grabovski has tunnel vision for a center, makes terrible off tempo passes that dribble into turnovers or end up behind his wingers and looks like he is in 2nd gear at least 40% of the season when he's not doing his Gilmour impressions and making fans forget the rest of play.

MacArthur is a somewhat lazy player who isn't particularly defensively conscientious, and only seems to shine when someone else is spoon-feeding him with bang bang plays. He's not fast, he's not strong, he doesn't care about winning puck battles.

Kulemin used to have some offensive instinct, but it looks like he's more comfortable just making the least technically difficult/creative play and running back to the bench.

Very interesting point of view... Although I wouldn't tag them with "suck" but they do have limitations that's for sure.

Kulemin is a two way forward but he has one short coming in that he's not a very good stick handler with the puck to make passing plays, although he's struggled to score he does have a lethal shot, big & strong who can flat out skate... He's smart positionally and reads the play pretty good, does all the little things if on an offensive line that allow the other 2 who should be the SKILL on that line mesh and do there thing. He's a glue player on an offensive line not the skill player on an offensive line. The real issue with that line is the other 2 don't mesh. MacArthur is a passenger and I agree 100% of your view of him, Grabo I think part of the reason he's like that is do to MacArthur being a passenger. Grabo isn't a star player and is being asked to do too much, at times when he's on his warrior mode we see good things from the line cause he's everywhere but he can't sustain that level of play HE NEEDS HELP not passengers.

MacArthur is lethal from the hash marks in as a trigger guy a one trick pony just don't ask him to make plays, he's not a very heady player in making plays or understand off the cycle where to position himself which is why that line struggles on the offensive cycle when Grabo isn't in warrior mode.

the GK part of the line is fine in fact the K part of it can play on any line being as he's a glue guy however the MG part of the line doesn't work unless G plays like a god.

DaveT83*

Very interesting point of view... Although I wouldn't tag them with "suck" but they do have limitations that's for sure.

Kulemin is a two way forward but he has one short coming in that he's not a very good stick handler with the puck to make passing plays, although he's struggled to score he does have a lethal shot, big & strong who can flat out skate... He's smart positionally and reads the play pretty good, does all the little things if on an offensive line that allow the other 2 who should be the SKILL on that line mesh and do there thing. He's a glue player on an offensive line not the skill player on an offensive line. The real issue with that line is the other 2 don't mesh. MacArthur is a passenger and I agree 100% of your view of him, Grabo I think part of the reason he's like that is do to MacArthur being a passenger. Grabo isn't a star player and is being asked to do too much, at times when he's on his warrior mode we see good things from the line cause he's everywhere but he can't sustain that level of play HE NEEDS HELP not passengers.

MacArthur is lethal from the hash marks in as a trigger guy a one trick pony just don't ask him to make plays, he's not a very heady player in making plays or understand off the cycle where to position himself which is why that line struggles on the offensive cycle when Grabo isn't in warrior mode.

the GK part of the line is fine in fact the K part of it can play on any line being as he's a glue guy however the MG part of the line doesn't work unless G plays like a god.

:shakehead This made me laugh! I know all the Goalies in NHL can hardly sleep the night before they face Clark MacArthur:help:

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
:shakehead This made me laugh! I know all the Goalies in NHL can hardly sleep the night before they face Clark MacArthur:help:

Why did this make you laugh he can score goals... One name to who Clark MacArthur is as a player remember Jonathan Cheechoo? He is deadly in scoring opportunities that's why he's scored goals at the NHL level but the rest of his game is entirely depended on his line mates which for me completely washes away that he's a scoring threat. Don't like him, didn't like him the first year during his career season with the Leafs but that doesn't mean I should be blind like some people when they don't like a particular player in recognizing there strength. ;)

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
I voted to keep them together only because I like how the 3rd line is playing at the moment. I see that Carlyle has changed the lines already, but I don't like the fact that he's taking JVR off Kadri's wing. If Kadri is playing well, why replace the most skilled winger he has for a less skilled winger? That's crazy to me. He should have just given that line more minutes or switched Mac and Komarov.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050

van Riemsdyk flips onto the second line with Grabovski and Kulemin. MacArthur joins Kadri and Komarov.

Hmm, trying to figure it out. It almost looks like it's a promotion for Mac, not a demotion. He's been the only one on his line actually taking shots on net, and now he gets to play with a hot Kadri, replacing JVR, who's started the season pretty slowly.

Mac: 7 shots, 1 hit
Kadri: 3 shots, 4 hits
Komarov: 2 shots, 9 hits

JVR: 3 shots, 1 hit
Kulemin: 3 shots, 6 hits
Grabo: 0 shots, 0 hits

^ This looks like this season's "sleeper" line. Who's going to pass on this line?

P.S.: Apparently Randy reads HFBoards. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Now.

If they aren't going, don't keep it going. Especially if a Kadri or a JvR is having a decent night. Move them up.

I'm not at all happy with the way that line has played the first 2 games - just a bad taste for the way they started season.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Hmm, trying to figure it out. It almost looks like it's a promotion for Mac, not a demotion. He's been the only one on his line actually taking shots on net, and now he gets to play with a hot Kadri, replacing JVR, who's started the season pretty slowly.

Mac: 7 shots, 1 hit
Kadri: 3 shots, 4 hits
Komarov: 2 shots, 9 hits

JVR: 3 shots, 1 hit
Kulemin: 3 shots, 6 hits
Grabo: 0 shots, 0 hits

^ This looks like this season's "sleeper" line. Who's going to pass on this line?

P.S.: Apparently Randy reads HFBoards. :sarcasm:

Ya, when I heard those line combos I really questioned them. I don't understand why we have to keep the same guys together year after year. It's a mentality that the team has had since the time of the big head. I'm not saying split them up and keep them there, just give it a shot for a game or two.

JVR Kadri Kessel -------- #1 line with big man, playmaker and sniper
MacA Grabbo Lupul ------- Offence in increased on the second with the addition of Lupes
Komorov Bozak Kulemin ------ Pain in the azz shutdown line.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Ya, when I heard those line combos I really questioned them. I don't understand why we have to keep the same guys together year after year. It's a mentality that the team has had since the time of the big head. I'm not saying split them up and keep them there, just give it a shot for a game or two.

JVR Kadri Kessel -------- #1 line with big man, playmaker and sniper
MacA Grabbo Lupul ------- Offence in increased on the second with the addition of Lupes
Komorov Bozak Kulemin ------ Pain in the azz shutdown line.

Those are some lines I'd seriously consider giving a try at some point this season (when we need a shakeup). I like the thought process on all 3.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
I think we gotta get a kkk line going if our offence doesn't start kickin.

Kulemin-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Lupul
Komorov-Bozak-Mac
Brown-McClement-Orr

Just experimental :)

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Those are some lines I'd seriously consider giving a try at some point this season (when we need a shakeup). I like the thought process on all 3.

Thanks. As I said, it wouldn't have to be full time and Lupul and Kessel would obviously still play together on PP1

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Mac is underrated, think we will find out tonight just how much he is missed by his linemates.

But they had to do something with this line, it's been asleep going back to last season.

Disclaimer - This is a hockey board, I reserve the right to speculate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad