When Will We Begin The Slafkovsky Discussion? - UPDATE: Hatrick Against Philadelphia April 9, 2024

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
October 17th 2002
March 30th 2004

Let's see how Slaf does in 2026 and we'll compare him to Knies :sarcasm:
not sure what this means but okay sure I really dont care. Im not saying Knies is better than Slaf. just he's not blowing Knies out of the water

Gallagher and Dvorak’s 2 x goals diminishes Slaf’s hattrick. It doesn’t count anymore.
your real smart aren't you. Ive never been arguing Knies is better than Slaf. just Slav isn't blowing Knies out of the water like your saying. Ive given you enough reasons why its just funny how this keeps going over your head

Reactions: Voight

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
oh whatever he's exceeded 20 mins multiple times over the past 3 weeks I cant even remember the last time Knies had 15mins
and when Slaf was on those 3rd lines he kinda wasn't producing like he is now, the boost of points recently which is awesome to see him breaking out is a is likely a result of playing on the top line with Suzuki

Slaf wouldn't be playing top 6 in Toronto either pal. Slaf has more of an opportunity than Knies does for getting in the top 6

and its not really pretending maybe it's not exactly double the ice time but its for sure not far off

and no 11 points isnt that big when you consider he's playing with MTLs best players alot more often. Knies was putting up nice points when he was paired up with the big boys too and Knies still has put up 7 points in his last 8 games

Im 100% not saying Knies is better than Slaf. but this is all to the person that said Slaf is blowing Knies out of the water which is not true
Bolded is BS. You haven’t watch Slaf enough. He his a beast on the forecheck with 43 pts in his last 50 games, and decent on the other side of the ice. As much as I like TO’s offense, you don’t have 4 better wingers then him.

Reactions: Pomee

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Bolded is BS. You haven’t watch Slaf enough. He his a beast on the forecheck with 43 pts in his last 50 games, and decent on the other side of the ice. As much as I like TO’s offense, you don’t have 4 better wingers then him.
he would get views in the top 6 and sure maybe he could stay there for abit but I wouldnt say he would lock it down full time. but who knows we will never know because he will never be a Leaf

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
oh whatever he's exceeded 20 mins multiple times over the past 3 weeks I cant even remember the last time Knies had 15mins

Wait a minute, you claimed that Slafkovsky had "double" the ice time of Knies and that he "only" had 11 more points despite that.

When it was pointed out that you completely made that up, and, in reality, the difference in ice time was actually less than four minutes, your response is "whatever?"

As for when Knies last played over 15 minutes, well it was March 20th. Not really ancient history?

and when Slaf was on those 3rd lines he kinda wasn't producing like he is now, the boost of points recently which is awesome to see him breaking out is a is likely a result of playing on the top line with Suzuki

Yes, it's a real shame that poor Matthew Knies doesn't have a player the calibre of Nick Suzuki to help him pad his stats. Poor Knies had to settle with getting looks with Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares.

I'll ask you again: are you serious with his? Do you really believe this stuff or are you just too stubborn to admit you don't know what you're talking about?

and its not really pretending maybe it's not exactly double the ice time but its for sure not far off

Okay, you you believe that claiming that Slafkovsky was getting over 27 minutes of ice time a game when he was actually getting 17:45 a game is "not far off?"

You can't be serious with this.

and no 11 points isnt that big when you consider he's playing with MTLs best players alot more often. Knies was putting up nice points when he was paired up with the big boys too and Knies still has put up 7 points in his last 8 games

Why do you keep claiming it's 11 points? You've been corrected multiple times. Please share the stats of when Knies was with the big boys and putting up big numbers.

While you're at it, please let us know why he was taken off that line when he was putting up "nice points." You won't to pretend that there are no opportunities for a player like Knies on the Maple Leafs and I guess we're just supposed to ignore that fact that Bobby McMann has a spot in the Maple Leafs top-six.

This will be my last response to you. You are still making claims you know are false for reasons unknown and I don't believe that you believe the things you are claiming.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Slaf earned his iceetime. He has made the topline a significant threat since he grabbed the top line spot. He is a reason why Suzuki amd Caufiare having their best offensive seasons!
My prediction for Slaf is Timo Meier+

35 goals, around a PPG but slightly over

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
What a player. He's been incredible since December. I've never seen such exponential development in a single season. It's been crazy to watch the process.
I don't think he developed exponentially tbh.

Early in the year he had dogshit linemates, no PP1 time, and was shooting like 2%. his shot generation, expected goal generation, expected goals against, etc, were all very similar to what they are now. He was just getting ridiculously unlucky, combined with a very bad situation. He was still quite good then.

Then he went from that to PP1 for 4 minutes a night, Suzuki&Caufield, and shooting like 17%. The underlyings are quite similar to what they were early in the year.

I think his overall season numbers are a pretty accurate indication of how he's played this year overall. 20 goals, 50 points.

Bad luck early, good luck late, all evens out

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Wait a minute, you claimed that Slafkovsky had "double" the ice time of Knies and that he "only" had 11 more points despite that.

When it was pointed out that you completely made that up, and, in reality, the difference in ice time was actually less than four minutes, your response is "whatever?"

As for when Knies last played over 15 minutes, well it was March 20th. Not really ancient history?

Yes, it's a real shame that poor Matthew Knies doesn't have a player the calibre of Nick Suzuki to help him pad his stats. Poor Knies had to settle with getting looks with Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares.

I'll ask you again: are you serious with his? Do you really believe this stuff or are you just too stubborn to admit you don't know what you're talking about?

Okay, you you believe that claiming that Slafkovsky was getting over 27 minutes of ice time a game when he was actually getting 17:45 a game is "not far off?"

You can't be serious with this.

Why do you keep claiming it's 11 points? You've been corrected multiple times. Please share the stats of when Knies was with the big boys and putting up big numbers.

While you're at it, please let us know why he was taken off that line when he was putting up "nice points." You won't to pretend that there are no opportunities for a player like Knies on the Maple Leafs and I guess we're just supposed to ignore that fact that Bobby McMann has a spot in the Maple Leafs top-six.

This will be my last response to you. You are still making claims you know are false for reasons unknown and I don't believe that you believe the things you are claiming.
I dont care to keep this going on. I said more than enough to prove that Slaf isn;t blowing Knies out the water. not arguing Knies is better than Slaf.

I dont know how to break everything down enough to work all of that out but your more than welcome to put in the time and get the correct numbers, but for now I think Ive said enough and for sure Slaf isn't blowing Knies out the water. he's for sure doing better than Knies but blowing out the water.... I dont think so

also not answering like 6 messages at the same time, u can slow things down if u wanna get answers for everything.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Staple Knies to Suzuki/CC and our top line's production takes a nose dive. Suzuki/CC are not elite like Matthews/Marner/Nylander. Knies was given every opportunity to play with those guys and couldn't hang.

Ice time is earned. Slaf earned his. Knies lost his.

Very simple. Slaf IS IN FACT blowing Knies out of the water whether you like it or not.

A look at Slafkovsky’s progression:

• 14 points in his last 13 games (88 point pace)
• 28 points in his last 31 games (74 point pace)
• 33 points in his last 41 games (66 point pace)
• 43 points in his last 61 games (58 point pace)

Clearly you have all kinds of time to waste given your laughable argument.

Icetime is earned. Knies hasn't earned his after failing to produce with Matthews/Marner/Nylander etc. He's been given ample opportunity. He's not ready to impact the game the way Slaf is. I like Knies but he hasn't developed the way Leaf fans were hoping.

I thought you were done? lol
whats laughable is you thinking Slaf is blowing a player out of the stratosphere with a 13 point lead. gets ALOT more ice time plays with the teams top players and gets top PP time.

his competition on the Wing is Gallagher, Armia, Pearson, Anderson, Pezzetta and Harvey-Pinard not really the most competitive group. Slaf SHOULD be on the 1st line lol

Last edited by a moderator:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
It is clear who watches Slaf play and who doesn't. All year long, his backers have been saying that he looks amazing and his stats will follow. Alas, his stats have followed and he looks even better than he did earlier in the season.

Confidence can become a run away train for a professional athlete. Right now, Slaf is brimming with confidence and literally growing his game, each game. And not just over a small sample size, but month to month, week to week and game to game.

If you choose to detract or argue against Slaf, feel free. But, it is apparent that you have next to no viewing of his actual play, or it is an obvious troll attempt.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Playing on the 1st line isn't a coupon for free points. You have to be able to keep up with better linemates while outplaying the other team's top shutdown line. Give the vast majority of players top minutes and linemates – it'll only expose them and hurt the line.

Yes, Slafkovsky has benefitted from playing alongside Suzuki and Caufield, but it's also true Suzuki and Caufield have benefitted immensely from having Slafkovsky on the wing. It's no coincidence Suzuki is having a breakout season and Caufield assists have spiked. With Slafkovsky, they're complementing each other's strengths and making each other better.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It is clear who watches Slaf play and who doesn't. All year long, his backers have been saying that he looks amazing and his stats will follow. Alas, his stats have followed and he looks even better than he did earlier in the season.

Confidence can become a run away train for a professional athlete. Right now, Slaf is brimming with confidence and literally growing his game, each game. And not just over a small sample size, but month to month, week to week and game to game.

If you choose to detract or argue against Slaf, feel free. But, it is apparent that you have next to no viewing of his actual play, or it is an obvious troll attempt.

Most 1OAs are NHL-ready. Slaf wasn't. He struggled at first, and the wide disconnect between what we expected and what we saw was why many jumped to conclusions.

What the Habs saw which we couldn't was Slaf's competitive drive. The kid's complete dedication to improvement and refusal to fail overcame his shaky start and has produced one of steepest development curves I've ever seen. Add confidence to his monster work ethic and, as you said, this kid is looking like a runaway train.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Coaches play their best players more minutes and against best competition. No one care about pts/min.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Most 1OAs are NHL-ready. Slaf wasn't.

What the Habs saw which we couldn't was Slaf's competitive drive.
It's the second statement, that makes me believe the opposite of your first statement.

I believe he was NHL ready from the get go. I admit to some waffling earlier this year, but we as fans don't have all the information that management does.

I suppose it's semantics. He wasn't first line ready. But, I do believe NHL ready.

Beyond that....we are on the same team here!

RUNAWAY TRAIN!

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
it's pretty easy to figure out. if you look Im sure u can find it.

Slaf time on ice since March 21st
18:58, 17:45, 21:57, 15:40, 20:41, 18:46, 22:44, 18.54, 18:31,14:58

Knies:
since March 23rd:
11:58, 10:08, 10:26, 12:43, 13:15, 6:57, 11:38, 13:49, 10:21, 12:13

just look at their game by game stats
You're using and entire season's ppg but using avg icetime over the last 10 games? Seems a bit like a cherry pick no? Knies is a good player but man, if you can't see that Slafkovsky is currently the better player with a lot more space to grow I don't know what to tell you. Just take the homer goggles off for 5 minutes please.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Logan who?

Crazy people were writing him off as a wasted bust of a first overall pick off an inaugural 18 year old season. The upside was obvious and always there. It was a matter of him figuring things out and he is figuring it out, and quickly.

Reactions: Pomee

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I dont care to keep this going on. I said more than enough to prove that Slaf isn;t blowing Knies out the water. not arguing Knies is better than Slaf.

I dont know how to break everything down enough to work all of that out but your more than welcome to put in the time and get the correct numbers, but for now I think Ive said enough and for sure Slaf isn't blowing Knies out the water. he's for sure doing better than Knies but blowing out the water.... I dont think so

also not answering like 6 messages at the same time, u can slow things down if u wanna get answers for everything.

Habs fan here. I think Slaf is a unique talent and a clearly better prospect than Knies, but I see no reason to diss on Knies. The guy is quite a good player and should be a fixture in the Leafs Top 9 or even Top 6 for years.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Playing on the 1st line isn't a coupon for free points. You have to be able to keep up with better linemates while outplaying the other team's top shutdown line. Give the vast majority of players top minutes and linemates – it'll only expose them and hurt the line.

Yes, Slafkovsky has benefitted from playing alongside Suzuki and Caufield, but it's also true Suzuki and Caufield have benefitted immensely from having Slafkovsky on the wing. It's no coincidence Suzuki is having a breakout season and Caufield assists have spiked. With Slafkovsky, they're complementing each other's strengths and making each other better.
Quite a few nights he’s been the best player on that line.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You're using and entire season's ppg but using avg icetime over the last 10 games? Seems a bit like a cherry pick no? Knies is a good player but man, if you can't see that Slafkovsky is currently the better player with a lot more space to grow I don't know what to tell you. Just take the homer goggles off for 5 minutes please.
I wish I was able to get a wider range of games I just dont know where to look.

either way if u gave Knies the same time on ice, same time on the 1st powerplay a position in the top 6 and I would put money down that gap of 13 points would shrink a little.

actually not sure if its still 13 points after his hatty. Slaf has been getting better and better as of late but when it was posted that hes blowing Knies out the water it was only 11 points difference which wasn't blowing him out the water. I will admit Slaf is the better player and likely always will be

not sure why this is such a big deal here anyways. not like im sitting here saying Slaf is a bum and Knies is better. I never even brought him up in this thread.

if Slaf was 20 or more points above then I would agree

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I wish I was able to get a wider range of games I just dont know where to look.

either way if u gave Knies the same time on ice, same time on the 1st powerplay a position in the top 6 and I would put money down that gap of 13 points would shrink a little.

actually not sure if its still 13 points after his hatty. Slaf has been getting better and better as of late but when it was posted that hes blowing Knies out the water it was only 11 points difference which wasn't blowing him out the water. I will admit Slaf is the better player and likely always will be

not sure why this is such a big deal here anyways. not like im sitting here saying Slaf is a bum and Knies is better. I never even brought him up in this thread.

if Slaf was 20 or more points above then I would agree

He was given plenty of time with Matthews and Marner and did not really produce that much. No pp time, but still. You need to be good to produce. Can’t knock Slaf for playing in the top 6 and producing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad