Kings Vision: When should the Kings extend call-up net minder Pheonix Copley?

Given the situation in net how soon should the Kings extend call-up goaltender Pheonix Copley (3-1)?

• Total voters

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I wo

I would take advantage of Pheonix's slump and offer him 1 additional year at 1.25 and let him know we believe in him. Hope for the best, minimal investment. Assuming Blake has several talks going about multiple positions and players, including goaltender. He might need a goaltender to send back the other way or have a backup or two.
Time to try Fiala with Danault.
Kopi line unchanged
Fiala -Dan - Arvy
Iaf -Turcotte -Vil if ready or Fagemo
Lem- Lizzo - JAD
I’d happily give him a year at the amount we can bury in the minors but I’ve said that all along. He’s shown he can be a good number 3.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
TMac has basically said that when the team plays run and gun they crap the bed defensively.

Copley has a basic game and is a big body.

Quick depends on reflexes.

Peterson was known for positional play but became a head case.

Copley’s adequate play coincided with commitment to defense from the team.

Couple rough starts from him for sure. Doesn’t seem like the quy that can steal a game. He does seem like a capable number 2.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
This thread was very short sighted and cringe.
I am gonna double down and say the Copley story is not over in this franchise.
At a minimum he could end up back in Ontario, but waiver pick up by another team could still be an issue.
Additionally the team was not going anywhere until he came in, maybe he can get his game back as well as the team in front of him.
So that may be the best strategy for this season.
Not much time before the trade deadline and the goalie market looks tough.
I would use my 2nd rounder to get the best goalie available in the draft, for the future barring any actions before the deadline.
Kinda weird how some of these frequent flier posters are scared to take off and commit to voting on this poll.
Guess the more bluster on the outside the more scared to be wrong on the inside.
Remember, Eddie would go!

Last edited:
Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I am gonna double down and say the Copley story is not over in this franchise.
At a minimum he could end up back in Ontario, but waiver pick up by another team could still be an issue.
Additionally the team was not going anywhere until he came in, maybe he can get his game back as well as the team in front of him.
So that may be the best strategy for this season.
Not much time before the trade deadline and the goalie market looks tough.
I would use my 2nd rounder to get the best goalie available in the draft, for the future barring any actions before the deadline.
Kinda weird how some of these frequent flier posters are scared to take off and commit to voting on this poll.
Guess the more bluster on the outside the more scared to be wrong on the inside.
Remember, Eddie would go!
Kings don’t seem very good at selecting goalies in the draft. Better at resurrecting cast offs.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Kings don’t seem very good at selecting goalies in the draft. Better at resurrecting cast offs.
Normally I agree with that method, but with the cupboards completely bare, I think we need to take a chance in this years draft. Probably select multiple goalies after the first round and hope we get lucky with one.

Reactions: LAKings88

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
  • D. Early in 2023​

Votes: 00.0%

• Kind of close to this.

• E. Before the trade deadline​

Votes: 24.1%
    • Congratulations to the only two potential GM's commenting here!

• Ahead of the curve were honorable mentions because maybe they were too risky or they are savants:

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
  • D. Early in 2023​

Votes: 00.0%

• Kind of close to this.

• E. Before the trade deadline​

Votes: 24.1%
    • Congratulations to the only two potential GM's commenting here!

• Ahead of the curve were honorable mentions because maybe they were too risky or they are savants:
You’d have overpaid him…. 1.7 x 2. Lol

In all seriousness a good deal, he earned a raise and it takes the pressure of both parties for knowing what happens with him next year. He can focus on playing and we have one of our two goalies as he’d have signed for less as a #3.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Correction. He backed up Braden Holtby for 27 games in '18-'19 with the Caps. Copley has paid his dues and getting his chance to run with it now.

I think in a best case scenario, Copley gets a 2 year extension for $1.5 million per year.
Got the amount perfectly right, but off a year.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Normally I agree with that method, but with the cupboards completely bare, I think we need to take a chance in this years draft. Probably select multiple goalies after the first round and hope we get lucky with one.
Not sure the Kings will get a chance but you never know. Hrabal 6-6,Bjarnason 6-3,Ratzlaf 6-2,Adam Gajan 6-4 are the top candidates with Milic 6-0,Augustine 6-0 and maybe Fowler 6-2,Suchanek 6-2,Dybal 6-0 and Hellnemo 6-2. The later 5-6 or so are 3rd maybe 4th rounders. The emphasis in recent years has been size the bigger the better

• Love
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Not sure the Kings will get a chance but you never know. Hrabal 6-6,Bjarnason 6-3,Ratzlaf 6-2,Adam Gajan 6-4 are the top candidates with Milic 6-0,Augustine 6-0 and maybe Fowler 6-2,Suchanek 6-2,Dybal 6-0 and Hellnemo 6-2. The later 5-6 or so are 3rd maybe 4th rounders. The emphasis in recent years has been size the bigger the better
You got a site you use or you researching on multiple sites?
Great post!

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

I don't think any team is really good at selecting goalies, it's always struck me as more of a luck thing. They develop on a different curve for sure. I mean, if you take one with an early pick sure, but anything 2nd round on is a crapshoot.

Reactions: LAKings88
So we starting Pheonix on Friday, Quick on Saturday? Gotta get Quick going before the playoffs.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

Attachments

• phoenix-png-fire-phoenix-png-transparent-png.jpg
    phoenix-png-fire-phoenix-png-transparent-png.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden