When it’s all said and done Juraj Slafkovsky finishes as the _ best Slovak player of all time?

Where does Slafkovsky end up all time among Slovak players?

• First

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Second

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Third

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Top 5

Votes: 36 13.6%
  • Top 10

Votes: 104 39.4%
  • Outside top 10

Votes: 103 39.0%

• Total voters

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
This notion that scoring points in the 80s is some how diminished in value is bollocks. He still finished second in scoring for the 1980s, 14 points shy of 1000 for the decade.

Having seen him AND Gaborik play, I'll take Stastny as the best Slovak player of all time.

Just sayin.
I dont disagree that hes the greatest Slovak ever..... Im simply pointing out that scoring 100 in 6 consecutive seasons is relative to the era you play in. Many players put up 100 in the 80s when the GPG avg was 7-8.

Saying he was top 10 in scoring for so many seasons, or as you say, put up the 2nd most points in the 80s decade on the other hand holds more weight/credibility.

Its like those who claim Bossy is the greatest scorer ever as he was the only player in history to have scored 50 in 9 consecutive seasons....

One Slovak player I find is possibly the most underrated of all-time is Ziggy Palffy. 713P in 684GP from 1994-2006, pretty much his whole career was in the DPE, AND played on two horrible NYI and LA teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: luiginb and banks

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
200w.gif

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Was having this conversation with some other Slovak hockey fans. Slafkovsky is the highest drafted Slovak of all time, would need a pretty great career to pass these players.

Mikita: 1396 games player, 1467 points
Stastny: 977 Games played, 1239 points
Hossa: 1309 Games played, 1134 points
Palffy: 684 Games played, 713 points
Gaborik: 1035 Games played, 815 points
Bondra: 1081 games played, 892 points
Demitra: 847 games played, 768 points
Satan: 1050 games played, 735 points

Chara should also be included, as he is sometimes viewed as a top 5 Slovak player of all time.
Noone views Mikata as a Slovak he came to Canada when he was 7 years old or something.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I dont disagree that hes the greatest Slovak ever..... Im simply pointing out that scoring 100 in 6 consecutive seasons is relative to the era you play in. Many players put up 100 in the 80s when the GPG avg was 7-8.

Saying he was top 10 in scoring for so many seasons, or as you say, put up the 2nd most points in the 80s decade on the other hand holds more weight/credibility.

Its like those who claim Bossy is the greatest scorer ever as he was the only player in history to have scored 50 in 9 consecutive seasons....

One Slovak player I find is possibly the most underrated of all-time is Ziggy Palffy. 713P in 684GP from 1994-2006, pretty much his whole career was in the DPE, AND played on two horrible NYI and LA teams.
Palfy was great.

Context is everything. While some might not mention it outright, the greatest players of the 80s would be great in any decade.

Bossy was one certainly one of the best goal scorers ever. He scored at a prolific rate and would have beyond 1987 if not for his back. If I were to pick the best players of the 80s, it's Gretzky and Lemieux at the top. After that, Bossy and Trottier deserve to be in the top 5 and they'd be top five in just about any decade.

"But the goalies were small! They had shitty gear! You could score with shots along the ice!"

Yah and look at the twigs players had back then. You give peak Mike Bossy a composite stick and he lights it up every bit as good as prime Ovi.

Great players are great players.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Palfy was great.

Context is everything. While some might not mention it outright, the greatest players of the 80s would be great in any decade.

Bossy was one certainly one of the best goal scorers ever. He scored at a prolific rate and would have beyond 1987 if not for his back. If I were to pick the best players of the 80s, it's Gretzky and Lemieux at the top. After that, Bossy and Trottier deserve to be in the top 5 and they'd be top five in just about any decade.

"But the goalies were small! They had shitty gear! You could score with shots along the ice!"

Yah and look at the twigs players had back then. You give peak Mike Bossy a composite stick and he lights it up every bit as good as prime Ovi.

Great players are great players.
Yes they are still great, theres no question about that. Its just the numbers that are inflated overall. THats all Im saying..... For me, when comparing goals and points between eras, I simply just look at the GPG avg and compare (ratio). THe goalie equipment size, skates/sticks, etc doesnt matter. All athletes in all sports get better with time (skill, physically), and 40 years from now we'll be talking about this decade in the same way we do the 70s/80s today.

And just for comparison, in Bossy's prime the gpg avg was between 7.0-8.0

In Ovie's prime the gpg avg was 5.4-6.0

thats a factor of 1.3

basically 50 goals today (past 15 years)= about 65 goals in the 80s (late 70s-1993)

Last edited:

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Noone views Mikata as a Slovak he came to Canada when he was 7 years old or something.
Mikita himself literally does. I guess it depends on how we identify players. He played for Canada for 2 games, and was never able to represent Slovakia or Czechoslovakia due to rules and politics. I definitely don’t consider Vanek to be Slovak considering he never identified as so despite his heritage.

Last edited:

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Generally Canadian in the sense of Mikita considering himself as one and played for the nation internationally. You are looking too far into this.
Mikita did not though. He played for the Canadians for what 2 games? Go look up old hf boards threads and interviews with Slovak media with Stan. He considered himself Slovak first.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Mikita did not though. He played for the Canadians for what 2 games? Go look up old hf boards threads and interviews with Slovak media with Stan. He considered himself Slovak first.
You just answered your own statement. The fact that he himself considered playing for Team Canada and did play (doesn't matter how many games), shows he considers himself Canadian. He's proud of his Slovak blood.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
You just answered your own statement. The fact that he himself considered playing for Team Canada and did play (doesn't matter how many games), shows he considers himself Canadian. He's proud of his Slovak blood.
Mikita played for Canada because he could not play for Czechoslovakia due to rules and politics. And he was an old man by the time he could have possibly made that happen. There was no chance he could’ve no matter if he wanted to. Is Nigel Dawes no longer a Canadian even when he played for the WJC team on 2 occasions?

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
He could end up among the likes of Demitry, Satan, Stumpel. But its still early in his career. He could end up like a Handzus or Nagy. And that's not an insult. It's just definitely outside the top 10.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He should be a top 4 lock. Although ziggy’s career is underrated I think
They're not remotely close. Chara is top 3 for sure debatably 1. He had the largest impact on winning games in my opinion.

He could end up among the likes of Demitry, Satan, Stumpel. But its still early in his career. He could end up like a Handzus or Nagy. And that's not an insult. It's just definitely outside the top 10.
Is he retiring next year?

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
I voted third (if we count Mikita).
Mikita and Stastny top 2.
Then it's Chara and Hossa in 3/4

I think Slaf could slot in ahead of Chara and Hossa when it's all said and done. I know it's a bold take, but so what.

I think Slaf has all the tools to become an elite player, he has the drive to succeed and he is very coachable as well. All the ingredients are there if he can stay healthy.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

EquivalentStay

Jul 27, 2020

I think Slaf could slot in ahead of Chara and Hossa when it's all said and done. I know it's a bold take, but so what.

I think Slaf has all the tools to become an elite player, he has the drive to succeed and he is very coachable as well. All the ingredients are there if he can stay healthy.
You think Slaf will be higher than ZDENO CHARA? What in the world is happening on this site

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He never played hockey in Slovakia. All his hockey formation happened in Canada and later the US (obviously). He may have been a Slovak person, but not really a Slovak hockey player.
Moved to Canada at age 8.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

He’s definitely not supplanting Hossa or Chara.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He only lived in Canada age 8 to 18, eventually became US citizen in Chicago where he settled down for good.
He was never known as a Slovak American,
Always a Slovak Canadian.

Just like most all other CDN players living in US consider themselves Canadian that have US citizenship.
I have friends that are Canadian Born with US citizenship, still call themselves Canadian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad