What's wrong with Kopitar?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He's a player that looks like he's sick of playing regular season Hockey... like many players on the Kings right now.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
He's a player that looks like he's sick of playing regular season Hockey... like many players on the Kings right now.
Well, someone should tell them that the SC champions are not guaranteed a playoffs spot then. Such a Jekyll & Hyde team.

Last edited:

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Most Kings fans want him scratched at least one game thats how bad he's been.

Kopitar has been extremely overrated for 2 years now. People putting him over players like Giroux, Getzlaf, Tavares, Seguin and Stamkos were delusional. If any of the aforementioned players went on a stretch like Kopitar has they'd be ragged on and receive much more criticism than Kopi is currently getting

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
What's the deal with him this season so far? He's only got 12 points in 25 games this season and only 2 assists in his last 9. Is he playing injured or is he just struggling at the moment? it's a bit shocking considering the playoff run he had last year, some people around here were putting him into their top 5 coming into this season.

It's the regular season. Kings play better in the playoffs. :D;)

Though tonight against the Leafs, they're killing them in possession, but aren't shooting the puck. Maybe if they shoot more, they'd have more points. :laugh:

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
I love Kopitar but I think he might be closer to a prime Mikko Koivu than he is to a Toews. Still a very good player but maybe not quite the world beater some thought. Again I could be jumping the gun here but the numbers are pretty bad.

Kopitar's regular season PPG: 0.89
Toews' regular season PPG: 0.90

Kopitar's playoff PPG: 0.86
Toews' playoff PPG: 0.86

Definitely a massive gap between the two.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
It's the regular season. Kings play better in the playoffs. :D;)

Though tonight against the Leafs, they're killing them in possession, but aren't shooting the puck. Maybe if they shoot more, they'd have more points. :laugh:
Leafs always play like this though, especially with the lead. That said, there´s been zero creativity whatsoever from the Kings.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah

The best player all season long has been Quick.

Ugly hockey in December has become a tradition for the Kings.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I always wondered if players who won the cup even care in the regular season. Why not just lay low, keep it safe, don't get injured, and just cakewalk into the playoffs then maybe try hard. The only time this changes is if it's a contract year. It's not like Gretzky's record numbers are reachable anyways. You get your PP time, and your top line minutes so you'll get your numbers.

Every year people predict the same guys to win the Art Ross and scoring titles, and every year they underachieve. LA, Chicago, Anaheim? Getzlaf? Perry? Doughty?

You mean Ryan "over a point-per-game" Getzlaf, Corey "14 goals in 23 games" Perry? Or what about guys like Patrick Kane, Patrice Bergeron, and David Krejci, who are about as consistent, season-to-season, as you can get?

Maybe there are some guys who care a bit less once they've won a cup. But I doubt the number is huge, and if someone completely phones it in the NHL they will see their playing time drop (and unless they're a superstar they may well lose a roster spot). And hockey players do tend to like playing hockey.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Kopitar's regular season PPG: 0.89
Toews' regular season PPG: 0.90

Kopitar's playoff PPG: 0.86
Toews' playoff PPG: 0.86

Definitely a massive gap between the two.

And that's with Toews being given easier ice time and better linemates.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Time for Kopitar to shine now in the 3rd. Leafs are starting to collapse now.

Nah, he isn't just slumping. He is visibly off. Whether is psychological, injury, fatigue, or whatever, he isn't the same player. Checked off the puck easily, falls down at a breeze, turns the puck over, refuses to shoot. It will be the worst season of his career. That being said, the "overrated" bs is stupid, being as the sample size for this season. Even Getzlaf had an awful year, but there's a reason no one talks about it--it was the exception. Using this season as the sample to evaluate kopitars overall game is just dishonest.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
Kopitar has been extremely overrated for 2 years now. People putting him over players like Giroux, Getzlaf, Tavares, Seguin and Stamkos were delusional. If any of the aforementioned players went on a stretch like Kopitar has they'd be ragged on and receive much more criticism than Kopi is currently getting

He's been nowhere near as overrated as Jonathan "Better Than Crosby" Toews.

Kopitar may not be criticized all that much by the general hockey fans... probably because he has two rings and just lead the playoffs in points so he can perhaps be forgiven, but Kings fans have definitely been frustrated by his play.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson

He's known to make up for it in the post-season. Others not so much.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Nah, he isn't just slumping. He is visibly off. Whether is psychological, injury, fatigue, or whatever, he isn't the same player. Checked off the puck easily, falls down at a breeze, turns the puck over, refuses to shoot. It will be the worst season of his career. That being said, the "overrated" bs is stupid, being as the sample size for this season. Even Getzlaf had an awful year, but there's a reason no one talks about it--it was the exception. Using this season as the sample to evaluate kopitars overall game is just dishonest.

How is it BS that he's overrated? You voted for Kopitar vs Giroux and stated he was the better player. It's painfully obvious that isn't true.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
He's been nowhere near as overrated as Jonathan "Better Than Crosby" Toews.

Kopitar may not be criticized all that much by the general hockey fans... probably because he has two rings and just lead the playoffs in points so he can perhaps be forgiven, but Kings fans have definitely been frustrated by his play.

Kopitar blew Toews out in a poll and Toews is currently the better player. Who's more overrated?

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
He's known to make up for it in the post-season. Others not so much.

Giroux kills him in playoff stats too. I'm also fairly certain Giroux is better at NHL 15' on both PS3 and XBOX. He's also better at Fanatsy and Field hockey, he's just better at hockey, Period

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How is it BS that he's overrated? You voted for Kopitar vs Giroux and stated he was the better player. It's painfully obvious that isn't true.

The only thing that's painfully obvious to most non-biased posters is that he's having a rough season. If you want to somehow extrapolate that to the rest of his career, you're just lying to further your agenda

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
He looked like pure trash today. I don't remember him creating a single scoring chance

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
The whole King's team just seems to be taking it easy. Just doing enough to make the playoffs. Potentially resting up either for the second half of the season or playoffs. If that is true, it is pretty risky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad