What's wrong with Kopitar?

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
What's the deal with him this season so far? He's only got 12 points in 25 games this season and only 2 assists in his last 9. Is he playing injured or is he just struggling at the moment? it's a bit shocking considering the playoff run he had last year, some people around here were putting him into their top 5 coming into this season.

Last edited:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
it's a bit shocking considering the playoff run he had last year, some people around here were putting him into their top 5 coming into this season.

That's the problem. Guys like Kopitar are REALLY solid players, don't get me wrong. But they'll go on an insane tear at the right time and say they are top 5 players while guys that are really top 5 material (Malkin, Tavares, Giroux) just play at a high level at a more consistent pace.

That said, there's a lot of time left in the season and Kopitar is a 70-point player, not the .5 ppg player he's been this season.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
He's one of those guys whose game gets taken to another level and becomes more effective come playoff time/big games. He's obviously not having an ideal start to say the least, but come April he's absolutely going to be making headlines once again.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Mike Richards is playing better than him now.

Seriously, I know that it will never happen, but his sucking is reaching ridiculous territory that I would ALMOST consider benching him for a game or two. He needs to wake the **** up, because it´s embarrassing how invisible he is.

Also, it´s kinda embarrassing for the SC champions to lose games vs Philly and Buffalo of all teams while scoring ONE goal combined in those games... Those are the worst teams in the East.

This thread was only a matter of time.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
SI cover curse maybe?

ncq6l9-byy87fpimaazuh5.jpg

;)

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
The deal is that that ~20 game playoff sample isnt indicative of his actual seasonal abilities.

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
It is confirmed he'll be a father for the first time at around end of the regular season (march/april 2015) and maybe this has also influence on his performances this season. Clearly he scored again very soon after SC celebration... :)

He also said in one interview here in Slovenia ten days ago, that a lot of players in LA Kings team have many small injuries that are usual for play-off time and are not shown outside but really bother with regular playing. I have feeling he was talking about himself, he just didn't want to say that directly...

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
I always wondered if players who won the cup even care in the regular season. Why not just lay low, keep it safe, don't get injured, and just cakewalk into the playoffs then maybe try hard. The only time this changes is if it's a contract year. It's not like Gretzky's record numbers are reachable anyways. You get your PP time, and your top line minutes so you'll get your numbers.

Every year people predict the same guys to win the Art Ross and scoring titles, and every year they underachieve. LA, Chicago, Anaheim? Getzlaf? Perry? Doughty?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It is confirmed he'll be a father for the first time at around end of the regular season (march/april 2015) and maybe this has also influence on his performances this season. Clearly he scored again very soon after SC celebration... :)

He also said in one interview here in Slovenia ten days ago, that a lot of players in LA Kings team have many small injuries that are usual for play-off time and are not shown outside but really bother with regular playing. I have feeling he was talking about himself, he just didn't want to say that directly...

It's strange watching him. Something is wrong. Either he is in pain or he hasn't prepared as well as he usually does for the season. That might be on purpose though - to be ready for the play-offs.

I wouldn't worry if I were a Kings fan. If he is injured it isn't bad enough for him to be rested - so he should be fine. If he isn't in top shape he will be before the play-offs.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Here's a stat for you. Kopitar didn't score a goal in the playoffs after Game 7 against Anaheim in the 2nd round.

In his last 37 games, he's got 5 goals, and 19 points. 10 goals in his last 51 games.

He usually hibernates for about a month, month and a half, every year. He's never been as unproductive offensively as he has been this year though. He's not even putting up the assists. He's got 7 this year, 4 of which came in 2 games. So he's got 3 assists in the other 23 games.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It's common for players to have cold streaks and even down seasons. Happened to Kovalchuk, Marleau and Getzlaf to name a few in recent years. All 3 bounced back as will Kopitar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad