What's Next for Washington?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJFan19*

Jan 22, 2013
This series is not over yet and they could easily push it it six or seven games.

They had bad luck in past years always running into Pittsburgh and losing those series.

It's over. Teams who need PP to score usually dont win in the playoffs

Reactions: cptjeff

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I wish they did. Except with the Sharks, Martin Jones came in and more or less stole the show in net in his first season with the Sharks. Before that, they had Nabokov, who was a playoff choker, and then Niemi...
Capitals still have two good enough goalies to get there. They just have to find a way.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I was told that Ovi's trade value is Draisaitl. Oilers easily do that trade and put 8 with 97

illpucks

May 26, 2011
They need to do smart trades and make the team really fast and really soft.

They need to utilize Ovi like Kessel on the Pens.

Trade Backstrom for Dahlin.

Hire Sutter. Or you know a coach that has passed round 2 at least once in 18 seasons.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
They need to tear it down, keep Ovechkin sure, but trade the rest of the vets especially when you don't have any no move clauses.
I guess we will see first how the series turns out of course, and then the draft.
The message should be clear at the draft, by acquiring as many draft picks.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Depends what the owner wants.

If Capitals owner only wants to milk the franchise (not saying that he does)
and cares zero, or little about success,...what's next? A: same old, same old.

I think many NHL franchise, that have stagnated for years (some for decade(s)) now would benefit from new owner.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
- Trade for depth scoring
- Trade for good bottom 6 character/grit guy(s) with some scoring
- Upgrade/bolster Defense

They should give it 1 or 2 more legit tries with Ovie/Backstrom. This year feels like a half measure from them.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
At least take em to 7. Pens didn’t have Letang it was the Caps chance.

They actually did manage to take it to 7 last year. They just ran into playoff steroids in the form of Hornqvist and Rust.

But I agree with you on principle. They added Shattenkirk and had a stacked team. Pens were missing their 1D. On top of that Caps had all the momentum heading into game seven, at home. When they couldn’t get it done that year, it was time to face the fact that it just wasn’t gonna happen.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
2016-2017: 1st in GAA
2015-2016: 2nd in GAA
2014-2015: 7th in GAA

They did address it for a few years. Didn't help though.
This is goaltending.

They've never been effective at suppressing chances, generating shots at even strength, or effectively transitioning the puck.

Brooks Orpik has probably led them in minutes or close to it over these three years.

They remind me of quite a few of the Rangers teams I've seen. They've have good "defense" because they have good goaltending.

The only year those Rangers teams defended well by any measure that wasn't Lundqvist was 2014. Wonder how they did that year...

Reactions: haveandare

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
It is almost exclusively haters saying trade Ovechkin. The Capitals have never considered it - because it is a monumentally dumb idea.

The Caps have won the division how many years in a row now? Why would anyone blow that up? Trade off great players for draft picks - mere chances to have great players years from now? That is ultra dumb.

Trotz is the problem. He was the exact wrong coach for the Capitals. A team that had some great assets but needed a better playoff strategy hires a coach with zero playoff success. That was a terrible decision. He should have been fired last offseason. A majority of Caps fans agree with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad