What's Next for Washington?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
This gets asked every year. Assuming they lose this series and yet again do nothing in the playoffs, do the Capitals blow it up? Or do they tweak the core and try a different coach?
Keep trying till ovie is done unless they wanna trade him out of respect to a contender probably taking back a bad contract and retaining cap

Reactions: haveandare and Gsus

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
They should blow it up because the vets on that team aren't going to magically start winning playoff series after all these years of futility, but Leonsis makes too much money off Ovechkin to blow it up. So the team will gradually decline until they bottom out and/or Ovechkin retires or leaves the NHL.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
they had alotes of coach and nothing changed ! they need to change something else ! change something in the Core I don't know

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Trade 8 to Edm so they can win the Art Ross and Rocket and not still make the playoffs?
Seriously though, he has to be traded at some point.

Reactions: olli and cptjeff

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
They won't ever win, which is sad for Ovie. They had their chances but I really don't see them ever getting through the East now with Ovie getting older, Pitts is still good, Tampa+Boston+Toronto rising as well.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If they lose Carlson to UFA they might as well rebuild.
Might be the best thing for them.

Get somebody who plays defense and 5v5 hockey for a fraction of the price.

If they extend Carlson, they're done with this core.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
I feel like we should maybe wait until Columbus wins 2 more games...

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Well the Sharks almost did that.

I wish they did. Except with the Sharks, Martin Jones came in and more or less stole the show in net in his first season with the Sharks. Before that, they had Nabokov, who was a playoff choker, and then Niemi...

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm shocked they don't have any no-movement clauses. They have some no-trade clauses but shouldn't have much trouble unloading any of those players if they choose to.

I don't know how you don't blow it up at this point. They didn't even have any pressure on them this year (nobody expects them to win anymore) and they're still managing to lose in heartbreaking fashion. They've tried tinkering with almost everything but the core. I think something's gotta give.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'd move out most of the older guys save for OV. He's still one of the best goal scorers alive - they're likely not going to get equal value back for him. Move Backstrom, Oshie, Orpik if possible, Eller, etc. They have way too many underwhelming vets on the roster. Need to move them while they still have value and try to be smart about getting good young players back. Backstrom is still very, very good and they can likely get a big haul for him if the play it right.

Reactions: Blades of Steel

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
**** if I know. It's a mystery really, have had fantastic teams over the years but have never gotten past the 2nd round? Man...
The second round winner kept being the cup winners so nbd. Last year they were the most stacked they have been in years they could still beat cbj.

Should just keep trying or do a one year retool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad