OT: Whatcha Eatin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
i have no more than 6/7 first dishes i can cook, really got problems with second dishes, and i can't really cook desserts. I am more into picking the right wine to match what i am eating.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Incubation's posts in this thread remind me of The Sopranos when Tony, Chris, and Pauly went over to Italy and Pauly wanted to know where the macaroni and gravy was at dinner.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Tried a different recipe for marinara and meatballs last night. My kids said they prefer my marinara recipe better, but like this meatball recipe better. Of course, this meatball recipe is a mix of ground beef, ground veal, and ground pork and I usually don't use veal as it's too expensive so I'm sure that's part of it. I cooked some of the meatballs in garlic infused olive oil in a frying pan which put a nice crust on them and baked some in the oven. I think next time I'll try a combination, Cook them in oil for a short period then finish them in the oven.

Served with homemade whole wheat pasta, some fresh basil and a bit of grated romano.

1231a1u.jpg

wkkarc.jpg

2rnj891.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Got a gift card for The Butcher's Market for Christmas and I just now got around to using it. Got a three pound chuck roast and I'm making a recipe that a buddy sent me. I've never had it before but he raved about it.

And the recipe.

I make my pot roast in a very similar fashion, including the pepperoncini's. Comes out great the the peppers are fantastic after cooking all day. I'm sure you'll like it.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I make my pot roast in a very similar fashion, including the pepperoncini's. Comes out great the the peppers are fantastic after cooking all day. I'm sure you'll like it.

Yeah this is pretty delicious. Best part is I should have enough left over to take for lunch into work for the rest of the week.

Z8tr0s6h.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Going to try something different and hopefully it turns out. Was wanting pulled pork for dinner tonight, but don't have the time this morning / today for the 12-13 hour smoke/slow cook on the smoker. Thought about doing it in a crockpot, but while I like cooking some meats in a crockpot (like raynman's picture above), it does give it a "crockpot" taste that I don't like with pork (can't explain it, but it's always there). A friend of mine told me about a method he uses. He cuts the pork shoulder into 2-3 in chunks, adds rub, smokes them for about an hour, then tosses them into a pressure cooker for 45min-1 hour. Says he can't tell the difference so we'll see.

If it's a disaster, I may be sending my son out to a restaurant to buy some. :laugh:

Brock Ness Monster

Nov 24, 2013
Mooresville
I unfortunately don't have a smoker so i threw my butt in the oven at 250 earlier.

Also low temp "fried" some wings yesterday to high temp fry later today. It's supposed to make them way crispier, so we'll see.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I cook pork butts or country style ribs in a crock pot quite often. After the meat is done in the crock pot I'll throw it in the oven on broil for about 10 minutes. I usually just cook the pork with onions so I can add different seasonings/sauces later depending on what I'm in the mood for. I really want to get a smoker next though to do some experimentation.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I cook pork butts or country style ribs in a crock pot quite often. After the meat is done in the crock pot I'll throw it in the oven on broil for about 10 minutes. I usually just cook the pork with onions so I can add different seasonings/sauces later depending on what I'm in the mood for. I really want to get a smoker next though to do some experimentation.

A good, and very cheap smoker that I built for when I need it to be portable is made from clay flower pots. It's basically this one, although I made a couple of modifications.

a18f0a686a7d63cb0d70cd796c0680b4.jpg

I've done brisket and a few pork shoulders on it and they come out great. Frankly, every bit as good as when I do them on the Big Green Egg.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So the I did the pork butt using the pressure cooker for 1 hour after smoking for 1 hour. Flavor wise, it really wasn't any different than if I had done it on the smoker for 12-13 hours. I cooked it a little too long in the pressure cooker though which made it a little less juicy. I added some of the drippings back which solved that issue, but I think 45 minutes in the pressure cooker would have been better.

I'll still use the traditional 12-13 hour smoke method in the future, but when crunched for time, I'll definitely be using this technique again as it gives you good, smoked pulled pork in just a couple hours.

Pork cut up with rub:
oz7CmwN.jpg

After 1 hour in the smoker, and put into the pressure cooker:
1gQY7Lo.jpg

After 1 hour in the pressure cooker ready to be shredded:
EStoglt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad