RNH+ for Stone

_____-Mcdavid-Stone
_____-Seguin-Draisaitl

Nurse-Klingberg
Klefbom-Larsson

;)

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
So why couldnt the Oilers win with McD,Drai, Dahlin??

If we cant, I would trade Draisaitl before Dahlin.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
This doens't really say much, Karlsson went 15th in the draft. Clearly he had untapped potential, but it wasn't there at the time. So your saying his production is better compared to roughly a 15th over all pick.... well half 15 overall picks don't even make the NHL. It just doesn't say much. I could make the same analogy to some nobody saying they had better production that Datsyk at the same age and you could find plenty who out did Datsyk at the same age as Datsyk wasn't very good at 17.

I am sure Dahlin will turn into a great number 1 d man, but if you can get one for him now, I think you take it. I really doubt a deal would ever take place, just saying if you could give me OEL + for him, I think I take it.

Hell no. Not in a cap league and on a cap team.

Reactions: Aerrol

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I'd trade Dahlin. Take whatever the other team will give us then inform the team that drafted him that he's now property of the other team.:D

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Just from watching Dahlin's highlights you know that he's the real deal. Players like that just don't bust. He's even more talented than Erik Karlsson IMO and defensively sound.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Just from watching Dahlin's highlights you know that he's the real deal. Players like that just don't bust. He's even more talented than Erik Karlsson IMO and defensively sound.
someone tell Katz to rig another lottery. One more should do it.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
meh, we are not getting Dahlin any way. Instead of looking for the new shinny toy we should realize we got a much better shinny toy in McD and we are wasting it. Fire Chia!!!!

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
It's fun to think about current players we could get, but we've been looking for a #1 defenseman since 2006 and if we get that through the draft you'd be dumb to move it.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If we were to get Dahlin the only way you consider it is if someones taking Lucic, Russell and Sekera with him and we're still getting top value.

But that's completely unrealistic.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If we were to get Dahlin the only way you consider it is if someones taking Lucic, Russell and Sekera with him and we're still getting top value.

But that's completely unrealistic.

Like I said before. I would do a deal with Arizona if they took Lucic + one of those dmen, + traded us OEL who we could extend, plus give us a top 6 forward and a solid prospect.

They very likely wouldn't do that deal, and that is fine. That is what it would take for me to move Dahlin, otherwise very happy keeping him!

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Wow. The level people are going to blow the lack of forward depth out of porportion has reached new heights.

Islanders have Barzel, Tavares, the beloved Eberle and ardent scoring at a torid pace... all but guaranteed to miss the playoffs and possible we pass them in the standings by the end of the year.

The only team I can think of that is forward heavy and having success is Toronto and it needs to be pointed out they are in a weak division.

If we get Dahlin it will significantly mess up our cap situation.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Wow. The level people are going to blow the lack of forward depth out of porportion has reached new heights.

Islanders have Barzel, Tavares, the beloved Eberle and ardent scoring at a torid pace... all but guaranteed to miss the playoffs and possible we pass them in the standings by the end of the year.

The only team I can think of that is forward heavy and having success is Toronto and it needs to be pointed out they are in a weak division.

If we get Dahlin it will significantly mess up our cap situation.

What we are seeing more and more is the success of depth as a whole. Winnipeg is deep. Columbus is deep. Vegas is deep.

We are struggling because of lack of depth. Ottawa with Karlsson is struggling because of lack of depth. Even the Blues with Pietro, Paryako, and Tarasenko lack quality depth. Calgary with the greatest defense in the history of the NHL, lacks depth outside their top 2 forwards.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
What we are seeing more and more is the success of depth as a whole. Winnipeg is deep. Columbus is deep. Vegas is deep.

We are struggling because of lack of depth. Ottawa with Karlsson is struggling because of lack of depth. Even the Blues with Pietro, Paryako, and Tarasenko lack quality depth. Calgary with the greatest defense in the history of the NHL, lacks depth outside their top 2 forwards.

The Oilers will not be able to afford quality depth for 5 more years I believe. Only so much you can do in the cap world and the Oilers have significantly bigger problems than scoring depth. Goaltending and defense overall being the culprits.

If we get Dahlin that will really shake things up cap/team wise.

I would think Klefbom would have to be moved for cap reasons/depth reasons. Nurse would have to be signed to a 1 or 2 year value bridge deal.

The following year Russell or Sekera would have to be moved. Maybe both if Dahlin steps right into a true top 4 role.

Just playing dreamer but in 2 years a overachieving perfect world top 4 "could" be:

Dahlin Larsson
Nurse Bear
Jones Benning

Never going to happen. Would probably be the youngest blueline ever. Probably be terrible actually but has some very tantalizing combinations of skills sets.

A blueline like that would also provide the cap room to have proper goaltending and forward depth.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
The Oilers will not be able to afford quality depth for 5 more years I believe. Only so much you can do in the cap world and the Oilers have significantly bigger problems than scoring depth. Goaltending and defense overall being the culprits.

I would think Klefbom would have to be moved for cap reasons/depth reasons. Nurse would have to be signed to a 1 or 2 year value bridge deal.

The following year Russell or Sekera would have to be moved. Maybe both if Dahlin steps right into a true top 4 role.

Just playing dreamer but in 2 years a overachieving perfect world top 4 "could" be:

Dahlin Larsson
Nurse Bear
Jones Benning

Never going to happen. Would probably be the youngest blueline ever. Probably be terrible actually but has some very tantalizing combinations of skills sets.

A blueline like that would also provide the cap room to have proper goaltending and forward depth.

ya, that's not going to happen.
Chia signed Russel to 4x4, Lucic to 6 x 7, Drai to 8.5 x 8...
no way Nurse and his agent walk into Chia's office and accept a value bridge deal.
pete is the ultimate f@#4ng schmuck.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
As someone on the main board rhetorically asked, when was the last time a defenseman went 1st overall and ended up being the best player from his draft? Granted, defensemen don't usually go first in drafts, but maybe that in itself is saying something too.

I think Dahlin is a great player, but I'm cautious about his ability at the NHL level. Like goalies, but to a lesser extent, NHL defensemen are notoriously difficult to predict, nevermind predicting superstar defensemen. By no means is he like McDavid or Matthews, who were guaranteed NHL superstars.

The Oilers need to contend again next year, and I see Dahlin more of a Hedman type of player, taking several years (5-ish for Hedman?) to become the player he is projected to be.

So, I would draft him, then try to trade him (keyword being "try," not "take any scrap I can get take that Chiarelli") for a guy like Parayko+ or extended OEL+, or just go for the motherload and try for an extended Karlsson. Otherwise, I'd keep him.

I get your concerns, but I think you have to examine deeper into draft history/look at it from a different angle. How many times has the top rated D man (not necessarily 1st OA) panned out? How many times has a team went with the forward because they thought they were easier to project? What type of draft year's did a D go 1st OA (ie: weak drafts)?

Hedman was the top D in 09, was super hyped, but had Tavares ahead of him. Could easily be a 1st OA that any team would be ecstatic about.

Doughty, Hedman, Seth Jones and Ekblad are all examples of highly touted D/highest rated D in their respective draft year in the last 10 drafts. I'd be very happy with any of those guys, and I think it's fair to say that Dahlin has bigger hype than any of them.

You make a fair point that there is still a development curve and there is no doubting how anxious our fan base is for immediate success, but what if 5 years from now we're only just a contender and a team like Nashville has blocked us every year from making the finals? We'd wished we had a 25 minute a night #1 stud D and rarely are those available via trade (without tearing your team apart to acquire one).

You draft Dahlin and build around him. He instantly becomes the 2nd most important player on the team.

Reactions: Aerrol

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Dahlin Larsson
Nurse Bear
Jones Benning

If you need cap space, why on earth would you trade Klefbom before Sekera? That's just silly.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
As someone on the main board rhetorically asked, when was the last time a defenseman went 1st overall and ended up being the best player from his draft? Granted, defensemen don't usually go first in drafts, but maybe that in itself is saying something too.

I don't buy it, defensemen who are picked high (top half of the first round) seem to live up to expectations at the same rate as forwards. The fact that the first overalls haven't done so is merely due to small sample size.

Doughty and Hedman went #2, Pietrangelo and Jones went #4, OEL and Hampus Lindholm went #6, Suter went #7, Phaneuf went #9, McDonagh went #12, Seabrook went #14 and Karlsson went #15. EJ shouldn't have gone first but is still worthy of a #5 or #6, and in my opinion the jury is still out on Ekblad.

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I would only trade Dahlin if Lucic was packaged with him. Otherwise no way

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If you need cap space, why on earth would you trade Klefbom before Sekera? That's just silly.

Because on this earth Sekera (when healthy) is actually the better defenseman and even more importantly has a no movement clause...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad