What would it take for you to trade Rasmus Dahlin

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
A decent package of actual NHL ready players.

Arizona could probably be a good partner there and potentially use it to move Lucic as well.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
What does Erik Karlsson and John Klingberg have in common with Rasmus Dahlin? They played for the same club during their junior years. We're talking about a city at the size of Sacramento, not LA. Frolunda has a good system for developing puck-moving defensemen.

Rasmus Dahlin has shown that his two-way game is solid. We have all seen his highlight videos. He model his defense after Lidstrom and has the speed/skill of Erik Karlsson. You've heard it all. I think another thing that sets him apart is his mentality. He has a rare winners mentality. As a swede, my only comparison is Peter Forsberg. He's someone you will want to have on the ice in a game 7 because he is gonna be out there to win it at all cost. He's going to be a #1 D for the rest of his career for which ever team that is lucky enough to pick him up

Trading him is ridiculously shortsighted. Look at the numbers Erik Karlsson was putting up as a 21 year old - Dahlin is on a trajectory to get close to that ceiling at a similar pace.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Trades like those don't happen often. Seeing big names go both ways seems to be a rare thing these days. Regardless I'd keep Dahlin under almost any circumstance.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Eat Lucic and Russel's contracts (and convince them to waive their NMC) and give us your 1st rounder and a fast skating middle 6 forward on a decent contract in return.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
the league is more about youth than ever before. I don't think anyone trades Dahlin.

I was thinking maybe there could a multi-player deal with Dahlin traded for a signed Karlsson, but even then it seems like the kind of move we'd regret in only a few years.

But to put this in perspective, we aren't getting Dahlin. We aren't even going to finish bottom 5 this season. Sure we could win the lottery but it will be long odds.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Eh.... I can't think of anything, really.

Getting him would make it so the only hole you need to think about filling is on the wing.

Reactions: Aerrol

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Do you mean to Trade Dahlin if the Oilers were able to draft him? You don't he's going to be high end player and you get cost control with him for a few years.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Obviously, I would be ecstatic if we won 1st overall. Finally having a 1D on our team would be incredible. But I
am not convinced that we could win the cup with McDavid, Draisaitl, Dahlin, and spare bits on our roster. We
still have a complete lack of forward/winger depth. Rasmus Dahlin will hold an incredible amount of value. If we could get a stud on D as well as a star forward it would go lengths for the Oilers. Here are some ideas:
:edmontonRasmus Dahlin, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
:jetsJosh Morrissey/Jacob Trouba, Patrik Laine

While we do lose out on Rasmus Dahlin in these two trades, they would give us an incredible top 6, as well as a strong, young defenseman. The first trade would allow Draisaitl to play on the wing with McDavid, or center the 2nd line with Mackinnon flanking McDavid (ala 2016 World Championships). Trade 2 would give us an elite goal scorer in Laine, who could also spark Jesse Puljujarvi, a friend of his. A line of Laine|McDavid|Puljujarvi would be unstoppable. He would also fix our PP issue. I could see McDavid getting 120+ points with him.

Would you do any of these trades? If not, what kind of offer would you need to give up the star Dman?

it would have to be for another D stud on a value contract for several years plus another value RW.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Obviously, he could bust or turn out to be the 3rd or 4th best D in the draft, but if he turns into the next Lidstrom? You don't trade that player for anything. Ever.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
As much as I like him, I do have to say the numbers stack up against him. He isn't really a phenom like they want him to be. Closer to Ekblad than to Lidstrom. I mean Lidstrom is the prime example of how D men work, he was drafted in the 4th round. Any way, I would trade him for sure, would want a lot. But for example he would have no where close to McD's value heading into the draft. Give me OEL, Fisher, and Strome (mostly just to unite with his bother, he is pretty bad)

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
You don’t. There isn’t really a realistic scenario where trading Dahlin makes sense. Mcdavid, Drai and Dahlin would be ridiculous to have for years to come.

Oct 15, 2008
I trade him and Lucic for a signed/extended Karlsson. If they refuse Lucic, then they can give us a first round pick.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
As much as I like him, I do have to say the numbers stack up against him. He isn't really a phenom like they want him to be. Closer to Ekblad than to Lidstrom. I mean Lidstrom is the prime example of how D men work, he was drafted in the 4th round. Any way, I would trade him for sure, would want a lot. But for example he would have no where close to McD's value heading into the draft. Give me OEL, Fisher, and Strome (mostly just to unite with his bother, he is pretty bad)

As a 16 year old, Rasmus Dahlin matched the 17 yo Erik Karlsson's pre-draft PPG rate in Swedens best junior league. As a 17 year old he has doubled an 18 yo EK's production in less games in Swedens best hockey league.

If you want to talk about number, lets compare what he is doing on the ice instead of comparing draft expectations. 10 years ago puck-moving defensemen wasn't a priority in the draft. They weren't back when Lidstrom was drafted either

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Dahlin is matching Victor Hedmans production as a 17 year old in SHL. I watched Hedman's every home-game live in his pre-draft season , and to my memory, Hedman wasn't as offensively gifted back then as Dahlin is now. Hedman played with the highest scoring line in the entire league back then too, with 2 players that now has 1200 NHL games and +0.5PPG combined, the 3rd guy on the line became the league's scoring champion that year

I'm not really arguing that Dahlin is better or worse then Hedman and Karlsson but there's little doubt he'll be the #1 defensemen on whatever team he ends up in for the next decade

Last edited:

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
If we by some chance get lucky enough to draft Dahlin, there's pretty much no way I'd move him. He'd provide exactly what we need, while on an ELC.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I trade him and Lucic for a signed/extended Karlsson. If they refuse Lucic, then they can give us a first round pick.

If Lucic is included, I'd consider it. If not, forget it. Karlsson is going to eat up $10M+ in cap space. Although Dahlin is a lot less of a sure thing, his ELC would be lovely.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
As a 16 year old, Rasmus Dahlin matched the 17 yo Erik Karlsson's pre-draft PPG rate in Swedens best junior league. As a 17 year old he has doubled an 18 yo EK's production in less games in Swedens best hockey league.

If you want to talk about number, lets compare what he is doing on the ice instead of comparing draft expectations. 10 years ago puck-moving defensemen wasn't a priority in the draft. They weren't back when Lidstrom was drafted either

This doens't really say much, Karlsson went 15th in the draft. Clearly he had untapped potential, but it wasn't there at the time. So your saying his production is better compared to roughly a 15th over all pick.... well half 15 overall picks don't even make the NHL. It just doesn't say much. I could make the same analogy to some nobody saying they had better production that Datsyk at the same age and you could find plenty who out did Datsyk at the same age as Datsyk wasn't very good at 17.

I am sure Dahlin will turn into a great number 1 d man, but if you can get one for him now, I think you take it. I really doubt a deal would ever take place, just saying if you could give me OEL + for him, I think I take it.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Can't think of a realistic offer to trade him for if we won him. Only way I could value Dahlin more than I do now is if he was a RHD. No chance he gets traded.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
This doens't really say much, Karlsson went 15th in the draft. Clearly he had untapped potential, but it wasn't there at the time. So your saying his production is better compared to roughly a 15th over all pick.... well half 15 overall picks don't even make the NHL. It just doesn't say much. I could make the same analogy to some nobody saying they had better production that Datsyk at the same age and you could find plenty who out did Datsyk at the same age as Datsyk wasn't very good at 17.

I am sure Dahlin will turn into a great number 1 d man, but if you can get one for him now, I think you take it. I really doubt a deal would ever take place, just saying if you could give me OEL + for him, I think I take it.

Yeah, I think you're alone on this one. Especially for OEL, who has been getting consistently worse for the past few years. Dahlin is probably more of a sure thing than OEL at this point, for much cheaper for a few years. And he'll be effective for longer unless he gets hurt.

I agree that I'd have to consider something like Karlsson for Dahlin plus Lucic and Russell though. Added cap stability for longer (assuming we can sign Karlsson to, say, 10.5 mill) plus more of a sure thing there IMO. Though I doubt either Looch or Russ waive to go to Melnyk's tire fire org.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Can't think of a realistic offer to trade him for if we won him. Only way I could value Dahlin more than I do now is if he was a RHD. No chance he gets traded.
There's always a chance.

Exhibit A: Gretzky.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You dont trade Dahlin, you trade Draisaitl if you ever need to make room for the money. Hopefully all 3 fit and the spare parts off the roster get moved. No reason to trade a guy who will most likely play 25+ minutes a game. You can move Lucic, RNH, Klefbom, Sekera, and thats a lot of dead weight off the roster.

Surprised you didn't include Nurse in with your ridiculous list of "dead weight".

Reactions: McHockeyfan91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad