What would it take for you to trade Rasmus Dahlin

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Obviously, I would be ecstatic if we won 1st overall. Finally having a 1D on our team would be incredible. But I
am not convinced that we could win the cup with McDavid, Draisaitl, Dahlin, and spare bits on our roster. We
still have a complete lack of forward/winger depth. Rasmus Dahlin will hold an incredible amount of value. If we could get a stud on D as well as a star forward it would go lengths for the Oilers. Here are some ideas:
:edmontonRasmus Dahlin, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
:jetsJosh Morrissey/Jacob Trouba, Patrik Laine

While we do lose out on Rasmus Dahlin in these two trades, they would give us an incredible top 6, as well as a strong, young defenseman. The first trade would allow Draisaitl to play on the wing with McDavid, or center the 2nd line with Mackinnon flanking McDavid (ala 2016 World Championships). Trade 2 would give us an elite goal scorer in Laine, who could also spark Jesse Puljujarvi, a friend of his. A line of Laine|McDavid|Puljujarvi would be unstoppable. He would also fix our PP issue. I could see McDavid getting 120+ points with him.

Would you do any of these trades? If not, what kind of offer would you need to give up the star Dman?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
The teams in question aren’t going to trade their superstar players for the 1st overall pick.

It’s tough to imagine a trade that makes sense for the oilers and the team who would be acquiring that 1st OA pick.
Agreed. However, the avalanche would have a tough time passing on a potential elite defenseman, especially since they get a replacement for Mackinnon (albeit a downgrade) in RNH.

The jets have a plethora of wingers, especially with roslovic, connor, and vesalainen emerging. A #1D could be the piece needed to win the cup.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
A young cost-controlled D who is supposed to be better than Karlsson? Nope, not trading that piece.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
The thing is though that the Oilers need a 1D. Imo you take Dahlin and trade other D or forwards. The only way you get a 1D of that (potential) level is by drafting one, or if you have a situation where a resign isn’t going to happen or some other internal issues not related to the on ice performance of the player. I’m sorry but I’m not taking Makar or Trouba as the D piece back for Dahlin. I’m not saying I wouldn’t be open to trade but the only way I’d do it is if a u25 legit 1D is on the way back. And even then its debatable. I like to think longer term, if you have McDavid and Dahlin that’s 2 players who are/probably will be the best in their positions on the same team for 10 years at the same time. That’s a hell of a thing to build around.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Id trade him for nothing if we could get rid of Chiarelli, Lucic and Russell

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This teams #1 need is a legit number 1 defensemen. Dahlin would be that guy. None of the guys you are targeting fill that need so....no thanks.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Agreed. However, the avalanche would have a tough time passing on a potential elite defenseman, especially since they get a replacement for Mackinnon (albeit a downgrade) in RNH.

The jets have a plethora of wingers, especially with roslovic, connor, and vesalainen emerging. A #1D could be the piece needed to win the cup.
Mackinnon has been as good as McDavid this year. Saying RNH would be a replacement for him is like saying RNH would be a replacement for McDavid.

And Laine might score 50 as a 19 year old... teams do not trade players like this. Not unless there is some extenuating scenario like a player demands a trade or something. Dahlin might end up the next superstar dman in this league, but every pick has risks until they start playing games at the next level.

Reactions: Aerrol

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Id trade him for nothing if we could get rid of Chiarelli, Lucic and Russell
That is an interesting thought experiment.

I’m not sure I would. But I like Russell and I think chia will get fired sooner or later regardless.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
If it sent Chiarelli, Nicholson and all their goofs with it. Oh, and Lucic, Russell, and Sekera too.
And add a "Chiarelli must make 5 trades with the Oilers before you fire him" clause. We'll probably get back Rasmus Dahlin for Matt Benning in 2 years becuz character.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
That is an interesting thought experiment.

I’m not sure I would. But I like Russell and I think chia will get fired sooner or later regardless.

I agree, but its a matter of when. If it meant hed get fired before he made any further trades (namely RNH and/or Klefbom), then I would value such move highly.

If someone came to me and said I can have Dahlin, but Chiarelli will be kept around as long as other Oiler failures have been kept around OR to get rid of the bad contracts and bad GM and start over with the team as is. Id choose the second option personally

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
As someone on the main board rhetorically asked, when was the last time a defenseman went 1st overall and ended up being the best player from his draft? Granted, defensemen don't usually go first in drafts, but maybe that in itself is saying something too.

I think Dahlin is a great player, but I'm cautious about his ability at the NHL level. Like goalies, but to a lesser extent, NHL defensemen are notoriously difficult to predict, nevermind predicting superstar defensemen. By no means is he like McDavid or Matthews, who were guaranteed NHL superstars.

The Oilers need to contend again next year, and I see Dahlin more of a Hedman type of player, taking several years (5-ish for Hedman?) to become the player he is projected to be.

So, I would draft him, then try to trade him (keyword being "try," not "take any scrap I can get take that Chiarelli") for a guy like Parayko+ or extended OEL+, or just go for the motherload and try for an extended Karlsson. Otherwise, I'd keep him.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Honestly the only trading partner that would make sense is Arizona, but even then, it would have to be one heck of a deal.

It starts with OEL with an extension signed
It includes a top 6 forward and a solid prospect.
It also includes Lucic and one of Sekera/Russell going in the deal. Where that gets complicated is that the 2 players would have to give Arizona a list of teams that would go to, and Arizona would have to retain cap in both deals.

That is a lot of work and a steep price for Arizona to pay. But if they are condifent that Dahlin is their franchize player, than it would be worth it.

Keep in mind for Dahlin, that if the expansion draft for Seattle happens in 2020, he would be exempt.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Honestly the only trading partner that would make sense is Arizona, but even then, it would have to be one heck of a deal.

It starts with OEL with an extension signed
It includes a top 6 forward and a solid prospect.
It also includes Lucic and one of Sekera/Russell going in the deal. Where that gets complicated is that the 2 players would have to give Arizona a list of teams that would go to, and Arizona would have to retain cap in both deals.

That is a lot of work and a steep price for Arizona to pay. But if they are condifent that Dahlin is their franchize player, than it would be worth it.

Keep in mind for Dahlin, that if the expansion draft for Seattle happens in 2020, he would be exempt.
No way Arizona gives all that up and takes on Lucic's horrible contract for an unproven defenceman, albeit one with potential.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You dont trade Dahlin, you trade Draisaitl if you ever need to make room for the money. Hopefully all 3 fit and the spare parts off the roster get moved. No reason to trade a guy who will most likely play 25+ minutes a game. You can move Lucic, RNH, Klefbom, Sekera, and thats a lot of dead weight off the roster.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
No way Arizona gives all that up and takes on Lucic's horrible contract for an unproven defenceman, albeit one with potential.

I never said they had to do it. I'm simply saying that is the only close to realistic deal that I would accept. We get a #1 dman that a team is going to move anyways, much needed depth, and be rid of some bad contracts. That is the only way I'd trade this kid. Otherwise I gamble on him becoming that missing piece to us winning cups.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
You dont trade Dahlin, you trade Draisaitl if you ever need to make room for the money. Hopefully all 3 fit and the spare parts off the roster get moved. No reason to trade a guy who will most likely play 25+ minutes a game. You can move Lucic, RNH, Klefbom, Sekera, and thats a lot of dead weight off the roster.

RNH is far from dead weight. He's easily the 3rd best forward on this team, and that is behind the best Player in the world and a guy who would be a #1C on half the teams in the league.

Klefbom gets a pass this year due to injury. If he plays like this next year, I'll call him deadweight then

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->