Value of: What would it cost for a team to get 1st OA this draft?

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
if the habs get that 1OA pick, theni would only accept McJesus or Matthews. Nothing else would be of interest.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
When's the last time a 1st overall pick was traded before the draft?

Happened 3 times in 5 years from 1999 thru 2003. In all cases the trade involved another top 4 pick going the other way. Hasn’t happened since 2003.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
if the habs get that 1OA pick, theni would only accept McJesus or Matthews. Nothing else would be of interest.

I would have to agree. Centre is very important, and they are the top pivots going forward in my mind, and the real deal in front of our eyes.

Dahlin may turn in to a monster, or not. He plays in a different league, and as talented as he is we just don't know if he will translate, and D is tough already.

I hope the Habs get him to be honest, it would be cool to go up against him, especially if he lives up to the hype.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
No. Dahlin is low risk, high reward, so there's no need to play it safe taking someone like Matthews instead.
omg..dude just stop this..Matthews is already a franchise center and elite scorer who just turned 20 and is better with every game, give your a head a shake and stop making yourself a fool every gm in the league would trade that pick for him..and i also doubt Sabres would trade Eichel for Dahlin

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
omg..dude just stop this..Matthews is already a franchise center and elite scorer who just turned 20 and is better with every game, give your a head a shake and stop making yourself a fool every gm in the league would trade that pick for him..and i also doubt Sabres would trade Eichel for Dahlin

Agreed

I also wouldn't trade Eichel for him

Reactions: DatSnipeMatthews

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Honestly, Dmen bust a lot more often than forwards. At this point I wouldn't even trade Hischier for Dahlin.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Karlsson + Chabot + 1st. Ottawa pays Chabot + 1st for the opportunity to upgrade on Karlsson knowing if Dahlin busts at least they've got a Karlsson equivalent :sarcasm:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It would cost a lot to get 1st OA. It doesn't matter what year it is you'll receive an impact player with the 1st choice in any draft.

This decade's drafts at 1st OA:

2010 - Hall
2011 - Nugent-Hopkins
2012 - Yakupov
2013 - MacKinnon
2014 - Ekblad
2015 - McDavid
2016 - Matthews
2017 - Hischier

And if you go back a few years too, you have Tavares, Stamkos and Kane. So yeah, anyone wanting the 1st rounder is going to have to pay a good price.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Would you have traded the Matthews pick for Jamie Benn?

Personally, I have never been a massive Benn fan, but he is a hell of a player. At the very least I do look at it because at the time Benn was the proven commodity, but in the end I still don't. You can project any forward a lot easier than a Dman.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Would you have traded the Matthews pick for Jamie Benn?

While Jamie Benn is a heck of a player, he's not Karlsson or Matthews.

He's also a left-winger. Moreover, while Jamie Benn is an unreal player, players that play his style sometimes tend to break down earlier. Karlsson is a different kind of player because his greatest asset is his unbelievable hockey IQ, so while his body has taken a beating (some significant lower-body injuries), he can still be an elite, elite player well into his 30's.

Also, Jamie Benn is not really a D-man or Center.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
McDavid is the only player in the league that I'd consider for Dahlin.

absolutely insane to assume Dahlin>Matthews at this point. 40g as a rookie, 3rd in league scoring while being a selke candidate. kid is special

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
While Jamie Benn is a heck of a player, he's not Karlsson or Matthews.

He's also a left-winger. Moreover, while Jamie Benn is an unreal player, players that play his style sometimes tend to break down earlier. Karlsson is a different kind of player because his greatest asset is his unbelievable hockey IQ, so while his body has taken a beating (some significant lower-body injuries), he can still be an elite, elite player well into his 30's.

Also, Jamie Benn is not really a D-man or Center.

perfect response.

Jamie Benn was a star player at 24....Matthews is already a top 5 forward at 20. to even copnsider them equal is laughable at best.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Dahlin has so far 7 points in 15 games playing with men as a 17-year-old. That's more than the combined season total of Hedman, Karlsson and Lidström, and it's barely November.

yeah thats clearly worth more than a kid with 50 NHL goals in 96 games, SMH!

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Well, the current pace would be enough to beat the SHL record of 17-year-olds (21 points) which as a defenseman would be quite an achievement. Currently he's already tied with the whole season of William Nylander, five points away from Daniel Sedin and ten from Peter Forsberg.

you are using a sample size of 15 games? lol its 7 points dude. OV got 7 goals in 2 games this year. thats a 280 goal pace

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Wow, this kid must be something else if Karlsson is his floor.. lmao

I guess points are enough to make anyone gush over prospects these days.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
you are using a sample size of 15 games? lol its 7 points dude.

Only two underage defensemen in the league history have more points than him, and this is early November. It is his 15 games against everyone else's full season.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
:loony:
absolutely insane to assume Dahlin>Matthews at this point. 40g as a rookie, 3rd in league scoring while being a selke candidate. kid is special

Hooooooly.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
this thread is brutal

Mcdavid>Dahlin>Matthews,Karlsson,Everyone else apparently.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Hooooooly.

try watching a leafs game every now and then. Matthews pretty much saves a goal with a nice defensive effort almost every game now. Kid went against patrick Kane and the shot attempts were 20-3....not much more to say.
The experts seem to think matthews will be in the convo

also you dont think Matthews is a franchise C? 50g/37a/87pts in 96 games at 19-20.
Just because Laine has completely tailed off doesn't mean you need to be salty man, Laine is still gonna be a stud. franchise ? no. elite? yes

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
As a Coyotes fan I think it is fairly safe to say there are only two players that would even draw consideration in trading Dahlin for 1 : 1, McDavid, + Matthews. I dont see either Edmonton or Toronto considering that deal.

Then it would be interesting to see what the Coyotes do with OEL.

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad