What would change your assessment of Chevy? [Mod edit: title]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The more the merrier.

I disagree about no harm being done. Vehemently. Had we moved those pieces out sooner, we would be 2-3 years ahead of our current state. Instead of Dano we'd have some other player 2-3 years older and further along his development, as an example. Our draft pick coming up from the Hawks this year would already be looking to break into the NHL if not already there.

So ... those benefits to me outweigh what we had. But, ideally, for me the team was fine. We had a decent core but Chevy failed in addressing our weaknesses.

2 separate posters in the last week or so have both claimed Peluso hasnt played at all this year, and the last. Yet evidence shows he actually played in over half the games. Quite a blind spot.

Jets also traded for high pick prospects from previous drafts... Armia 2011, Dano 2013, Lemieux 2014. Pretty much equivalent to 3 first rounders from an early rebuild.

If your answer to the thread question is "nothing", why not just say that and move on?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
For me, playoff appearances are secondary, all I want is an honest effort to improve the team year over year. Last night I was listening to a hockey podcast while trying to sleep and fell asleep with soundcloud playing and cyling through old episodes of that podcast, when I woke up coincidentally it had reached the season preview episode for last season and the hosts were talking about the Jets fighting for the bottom of the Central division. Out of curiosity I decided to listen to it on my way back to work. The hosts are not specifically Jets fans or tied to WPG, and they said that the most likely way the Jets make the playoffs is if Pavelec ends up with a season ending injury during training camp. This is how the rest of the league looks at the Jets and their goaltending situation. The fact that we have lived with this goaltending for 5 years and absolutely nothing was done about it, on the contrary it often felt that other goalies like Montoya were actively denied opportunities to show up Pavelec is the ultimate damnation on the Jets. And frankly at this point after the way the Pavelec situation was handled I am not sure I can ever give them more than a B until I see some evidence that lessons were learned

We start every freaking goddamn season essentially a lap behind almost every other team in the league due to our terrible goaltending which management has refused to address (and no, drafting an unknown USHS goalie in 2013 with a 4th round pick does not count). It wouldn't even be so bad if they were atleast trying to do something about it and failing, no, these people come out and anoint Pavelec the #1 goalie at the end of and at the beginning of each season. What grates me is that they have the audacity to act like there isn't a problem and everything is fine when it comes to goaltending, it's almost as if they think the fans are stupid. Never has anyone associated with the Jets even acknowledged that goaltending is a problem, whereas other teams openly and honestly do.

I was an unabashed apologist of the Jets during the first season and a half, this Pavelec thing was what started to get me to write negative posts when Pavs was crapping the bed night after night and Montoya wasn't getting a shot and then essentially being blackballed after one bad game. The Pavelec situation in a way might be an indicator of how things are going to be done. If they didn't try to do anything about goaltending for 5 years, arguably the most important position, it tells me that in the future, once a bad contract is given, mistake would never be admitted and measures would never be taken to rectify it. Which as fan is depressing.

I don't want to hear complaints about the atlanta-core, they were never given a shot and have my complete sympathies. Guys like Wheeler, Little, Ladd, Buff, Enstrom were running a race and at the beginning of every season the management would come out with a gun and shoot them in one of their kneecaps and say isn't this great, now go out and win! It's like building a racingcar with a faulty engine and year after blaming your very good aerodynamic system as the reason you can't win :shakehead

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The more the merrier.

I disagree about no harm being done. Vehemently. Had we moved those pieces out sooner, we would be 2-3 years ahead of our current state. Instead of Dano we'd have some other player 2-3 years older and further along his development, as an example. Our draft pick coming up from the Hawks this year would already be looking to break into the NHL if not already there.

So ... those benefits to me outweigh what we had. But, ideally, for me the team was fine. We had a decent core but Chevy failed in addressing our weaknesses.

I guess we disagree which is fine. We may have gotten a player a couple years younger but do they develop as well in what is likely a terrible team? Also what is preventing us from trading Little or Wheeler even for good young kids around Scheifele's age to further double down on this age group? We got one in the Kane deal so I don't see how we couldn't target more kids around that age group. We would be exactly are you would want them to be and they would be joining a much more positive work environment. You don't just have to target 1st round picks and junior aged prospects in trades.

To me it doesn't matter when we trade the assets if they still hold value. Little and Wheeler both have tremendous value due to establishing a much higher and more consistent level of performance than what they had established a couple of years ago. Both are also signed to darn good contracts which further enhances their value. We get much more for each of them now than what we would have received a couple of years ago imo.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The more the merrier.

2 separate posters in the last week or so have both claimed Peluso hasnt played at all this year, and the last. Yet evidence shows he actually played in over half the games. Quite a blind spot.

Peluso has played in 84 regular season games (50%) and 0 playoff games (0%) over the last 2 seasons.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
You think we were only an average goaltender and 3rd line away from contending? Seriously? We HAD that the year we got swept.

A beggar who is starving on the side of the road, when offered some food does not throw it to the ground and reject it by saying "How is this going to help me buy that penthouse that I want?"

White Out 403*

Peluso has played in 84 regular season games (50%) and 0 playoff games (0%) over the last 2 seasons.

50% is a lot more than 0%, isn't it?

A beggar who is starving on the side of the road, when offered some food does not throw it to the ground and reject it by saying "How is this going to help me buy that penthouse that I want?"

:laugh::laugh::handclap:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I'm not sure this is a very good analogy? A beggar who gets a piece of bread standing on the side of the road and takes it gratefully would continue to stand on the side of the road asking for pieces of bread? Trying to find out what path it would take to get to the penthouse would be a better option...no?

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
This must make sense, since White Out seemed to get tremendous enjoyment out of it. I must be a little slow - could you explain?

White Out 403*

I said Peluso didn't play in the playoffs. Or at least that is what should have been inferred.

yes and in those 4 games we had leads in 3 of them going into the final frame before MVPavelec coughed them up each time. And game 4? Whoo what a stinker from Ondrej.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
yes and in those 4 games we had leads in 3 of them going into the final frame before MVPavelec coughed them up each time. And game 4? Whoo what a stinker from Ondrej.

Not sure where you are going, but you should pick that debate with someone who thinks Pavs is a 1/2 decent goalie.

White Out 403*

Not sure where you are going, but you should pick that debate with someone who thinks Pavs is a 1/2 decent goalie.

What I'm saying is when scrubs like Peluso and Thor aren't on this team taking up ice time the team does better. Despite what others insist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad