What will the Sharks lineup be this season?

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Any chance some of the kids make the team? What about a reclamation project like James Sheppard?

Anyway, if any Sharks fans can chime in with what they think the lines will be like that would be great.

Thanks!

rbarker26

Jan 3, 2013
Nor-Cal
just my uneducated guess

12-19-8
29-39-9
57-26-37
21-10-? (maybe either sheppard/kennedy/someone else)

44-22
7-88
3-5/61

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
When everyone is healthy, I'm thinking

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
Galiardi - Sheppard - Wingels
Desjardins - Handzus - Burish
McCarthy

Vlasic - Boyle (I'm hoping for Burns instead of Boyle)
Stuart - Burns (hoping for Boyle)
Braun/Murray - Demers

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012

Clowe - Couture - Havlat
McCarthy

Braun/Murray - Demers

Pretty much this. I would agree with you on switching Boyle and Burns.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston

Clowe - Couture - Havlat
McCarthy

Braun/Murray - Demers

This is pretty much what I expect, but I'd like to see a little more balanced forward attack. Something like:

Galiardi - Thornton - Paveski
Clowe - Couture - Wingels
Shepard - Marleau - Havlat
McCarthy - Desjardins - Burish
Handzus

Really need a to acquire better top 9 player to put in Shepard's spot. Contrary to many, I'd like to see TJ get a chance with Thornton.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say James Sheppard isn't a 3rd liner on a Stanley Cup-winning team.

Personally, I think he could be a capable #3C on this team, simply because of the way we deploy our forwards. Obviously the Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski line is an elite shutdown line. Couture is perfectly capable of taking on opposing 2nd liners. Desjardins and Burish together can handle third liners and take a ton of defensive zone shifts. That leaves Sheppard in a very sheltered, purely offensive role. I think he's capable of putting up 35 points in the NHL. And considering the quality of lines 1, 2, and 4, he doesn't need to be spectacular.

You could even drop Marleau or Clowe to his line if you needed, put Galiardi or Wingels (who's a righty, coincidentally) with Thornton and Pavelski and let Marleau play with Sheppard.

Wingels-Thornton-Pavelski (Thornton gets two righties with good shots, Wingels brings speed and physicality and decent defensive play)
Clowe-Couture-Havlat (like usual)
Marleau-Sheppard-Galiardi (Marleau would play center in the defensive zone, Sheppard would be the center in the offensive zone, Marleau and Galiardi are great skaters to offset Sheppard's slow skating)
4th line

It would blow for Marleau, but he could still take the odd shifts with Thornton/Pavelski and keep getting #1PP/PK time to keep his ice time up, and this situation has one distinct advantage over using Pavelski on the third line: Marleau will never get disgruntled with decreased playing time, and if he does, he'll never say anything about it, AND, he'd rather play third line minutes in SJ than first line minutes in the Eastern Conference.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Ah line combinations and the spread of speed, physicality, and skill... How have I missed thou.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Ynd this situation has one distinct advantage over using Pavelski on the third line: Marleau will never get disgruntled with decreased playing time, and if he does, he'll never say anything about it, AND, he'd rather play third line minutes in SJ than first line minutes in the Eastern Conference.

How is that different from Pavelski? With his kid and his wife, Pavelski's roots are pretty solidified in SJ as well. We don't really know what both of them are thinking.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say James Sheppard isn't a 3rd liner on a Stanley Cup-winning team.

Well if he comes online and rocks the world, he could well be a secret, cheap, low-line weapon that makes all the difference for a Stanley Cup team :sarcasm:

thrillermiller89

Jan 19, 2010
San Jose
to spread the scoring we might want to try...

galiardi-jumbo-pavelski
clowe-marleau-havlat
sheppard-couture-wingels
desi-handzus-burish

but we will look more like this...

marleau-jumbo-pavelski
clowe-couture-havlat
galiardi-handzus-wingels
shep-desi-burish

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I'm taking a stab at it. It looks similar to some posts, but realistically, I'm guessing this is how TM is gonna make the lines.

12-19-8
29-39-9
21-26-57
15-10-37

44-88
7-22
61-5

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
You'd have to pay Marleau to leave SJ, whereas I got the feeling last season that Pavs was quite unhappy playing in the third line.

It's hard to know what they're thinking. Both players were drafted by the Sharks and both of their families are heavily rooted in the area, so you can't really say Marleau will definitely stay but Pavelski won't. Both Pavelski and Marleau would probably be unhappy playing on the 3rd line as well, and both of them may or may not complain to the coaches. However, Marleau already has public prior history with not getting along with a coach, Pavelski doesn't.

Honestly, no Top-6 will like to play on the 3rd line, but I don't think Pavelski would dislike it and complain anymore than Marleau would.

EDIT: FTR, I'm not saying Marleau is more likely to complain either. Both of them love it in San Jose, and I don't think either of them would make a big deal about it. I like to think that both of them care more about winning than about their stats. I could definitely see Clowe complaining though. ;)

Last edited:

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
It's hard to know what they're thinking. Both players were drafted by the Sharks and both of their families are heavily rooted in the area, so you can't really say Marleau will definitely stay but Pavelski won't. Both Pavelski and Marleau would probably be unhappy playing on the 3rd line as well, and both of them may or may not complain to the coaches. However, Marleau already has public prior history with not getting along with a coach, Pavelski doesn't.

Honestly, no Top-6 will like to play on the 3rd line, but I don't think Pavelski would dislike it and complain anymore than Marleau would.

EDIT: FTR, I'm not saying Marleau is more likely to complain either. Both of them love it in San Jose, and I don't think either of them would make a big deal about it. I like to think that both of them care more about winning than about their stats. I could definitely see Clowe complaining though. ;)

I could see Pavelski being amenable to going to Minny or Chitown to be close to home, but not much more than that. He does own a minor hockey team in that general vicinity.

On the Sharks, both of them should be unhappy if given third line minutes.

HBSauce

Dirts McGirts
Apr 30, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I've always wondered this, especially the past couple of years, do position preferences matter on this team?

I feel as if we have Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Clowe Havlat and problem is 4 of these guys play centre and we are jamming 2 of these guys into winger positions. Wouldn't it be an idea to trade at least one of them to get a fast and hard hitting winger or do we carry on until Thornton's and Marleau's contracts are up then have Pavelski and Couture centre the top 2 lines?

Wondering if anyone felt the same on this issue.

sjshrky27

Jan 15, 2007
CA
I've always wondered this, especially the past couple of years, do position preferences matter on this team?

I feel as if we have Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Clowe Havlat and problem is 4 of these guys play centre and we are jamming 2 of these guys into winger positions. Wouldn't it be an idea to trade at least one of them to get a fast and hard hitting winger or do we carry on until Thornton's and Marleau's contracts are up then have Pavelski and Couture centre the top 2 lines?

Trade Marleau.
(sorry, had to say it):laugh:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Each of Marleau, Couture, and Pavelski are perfectly capable of playing wing.

Personally, I'd like to keep Thornton-Pavelski down the middle, use Marleau and Couture as LW, Havlat as RW, and trade Clowe for a better fitting RW.

SJFanQC

Dec 14, 2010
Laval
According to Sports Illustrated, Couture, Pavelski, Havlat and Clowe do not exist, as such the core of our offense consists of this line-up :

Marleau-Thornton-zzz
zzz-zzz-zzz
zzz-zzz-zzz
zzz-zzz-zzz..

And of course offense is the only thing that counts in evaluating a team. Such BS power rankings, so many things out of place. They just want to get the hits, but still, pretty bad a list.

Now, Dater aside, I'd roll with :

Marleau-Thornton-Wingels
Clowe-Couture-Sheppard
Galiardi-Pavelski-Havlat
McCarthy-Desjardins-Burish
Handzus

Vlasic-Burns
Stuart-Boyle
Murray/Braun/Demers

Niemi
Greiss

As to what it will actually be, it's probably not going to be anywhere near what I wrote up.

Edit : Yeah that 2nd line looks slow. Whatever. Classic 12-19-8 29-39-9 it is then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad