Speculation: What will Canes do at deadline?

What will Canes do at deadline?

• Total voters

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
We know the Sens are looking to offload some cash and start a rebuild, and there are rumors about Karlsson being packaged with Ryan and us talking to them about Brassard. Add to that we need some help that aren't rentals and Dundon wants to make a splash. What about:

Canes: Karlsson, Brassard, Ryan
Sens: 2018 1st, 2019 2nd (conditional on Karlsson resigning), Rask, Faulk, Gauthier

I don't think that's enough. I don't think Rask gets you Brassard, I could see Gauthier gettign Ryan but I don't think Faulk a 1st and a 2nd gets Karlsson

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Faulk doesn't save the Sens much cash in those deals. Karlsson makes $7.5M real money next year, Faulk makes $6M real money. Faulk has 1 more year at that level, but still, Sens could get way more than that for Karlsson IMO.

Faulk and Rask make $10M between the two of them (in real dollars) the next two seasons.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Karlsson for Faulk + conditional '19 2nd
Brassard for Rask + Gauthier
Ryan for '18 1st

Is that how you'd break out that mess? Yeah I don't think that's happening.

No, not really. It is a package for a reason. Ryan has negative value due to his contract and health history, so he is included to lower the price for Karlsson. I'd rather not have him at all, but if that is part of the price of getting Karlsson, then we don't pay as much.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Ottawa would have to give away a 1st/Gauthier-level asset just to get rid of Bobby Ryan's contract. They would probably have to retain on top of that. When he hasn't been injured (which is all the time) he has been scoring at a sub-0.5 P/GP pace over the past two years. No GM in the league is taking on that deal.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Karlsson for Faulk + conditional '19 2nd
Brassard for Rask + Gauthier
Ryan for '18 1st

Is that how you'd break out that mess? Yeah I don't think that's happening.

I'd break this out as they are giving us something to take Ryan off their hands....hes negative value.

So Faulk, a 1st, a 2nd for Karlsson
Brassard for Rask and Gauthier and whatever the additional negative for Ryan is.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I just don't believe that Ottawa is going to discount a Superstar to skimp on Ryan's deal. That would be Jeter + Stanton level bad management.

They took Gaborik to get rid of Phaneuf and traded Turris and their 1st to get Duchene...I like our chances.

Slavin-Karlsson though. I would like to see that.

:naughty:

Then with Karlsson on board in the summer, you offer JT a 7-year, $80 million dollar contract saying, "see, you can win here." Then after signing JT, you negotiate with Karlsson an 8-year, $90 million dollar contract saying, "see, with JT here, you can win here." Both may then take just a hair off their top dollar to play together and the rest of our contracts should be in good shape as supporting cast.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Moves are starting to happen. Mrazak traded. Boston got Holden from the NYR. Gudbransson re-signed. Not major moves, but they are starting to happen which should lead to more moves happening.

Dundon to Francis right now..

giphy.gif

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It isn't as if Faulk adds any modicum of physicality. The main difference between Faulk and Karlsson is that sometimes Karlsson's offense can actually overcome how bad he is defensively. Can't say that has ever been true of Faulk by both the eye and stat tests.

Faulk's past 4 seasons: -19, -22, -18, -19

Always the worst +/- for D on the team by a mile.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
RF will do exactly enough to maintain his status as a top-tier GM among the media and his contemporaries, as well as to placate the majority of STMs and folks on this board, but not enough to materially change results in any meaningful way. Basically, rearranging deck chairs at a higher level. I didn't see this as an option.

Meanwhile, the rest of the bottom-half clubs in the league will continue to improve more rapidly by being bold, creative and aggressive, we'll pass a few of the clubs on a down-cycle, and we'll be stuck in our cycle of mediocrity indefinitely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad