Player Discussion What to do with Maroon?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Benning would be exempt. I think Letestu or Pouliot is more likely. Davidson isn't really known around the league, I'd think Vegas will view other options ahead of Davidson, even more likely now with him missing significant time.

Pouliot or Davidson most likely. Davidson keeps playing like he has the last two he is guaranteed gone. Last year other fan bases noticed him.

Big, fast, smart, and a nice shot. He kinda stands out.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
I think people are overrating Maroon a bit, possibly because of his personality.

Quality player, but probably a 2nd or 3rd liner at best. While it would suck to have Vegas pick him, the smartest play right now is to protect Davidson.

You pretty much have to protect Davidson. Quality defenceman are difficult to find (have a look at next year's UFA list), he's cheap, and young, and would have more of an impact on the team's results than a depth LW'er.

Maroon will be 29 at end of the season, and will have 1 year left on his contract when the expansion draft takes place. He will be an unrestricted free agent in 1 year:

1. Las Vegas may not want to pick a guy who is one year away from unrestricted free agency.
2. After the McDavid extension, the key for the Oilers will be getting overperforming and cheap contracts in the bottom six. Maroon will be (rightfully) seeking a long-term contract and this may be his last opportunity to get one and secure life for his family. The team and player objectives are are complete clash and would be difficult to accommodate. The Oilers can ill afford to pay fair market value and lucrative term once McDavid's extension kicks in.

They just can't.

I don't think it's a hard decision at all. Protect 4 forwards (RNH, Draisaitl, Eberle, Lucic), protect 4D (Larsson, Sekera, Klefbom, Davidson).

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah as much as I love Maroon, I think I'd have to pick Davidson over him. I think he'll be a very good top 4 D and thats more valuable than 1 year left on a top 9 winger. Hopefully Vegas just takes Pouliot or Reinhart or something.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think people are overrating Maroon a bit, possibly because of his personality.

Quality player, but probably a 2nd or 3rd liner at best. While it would suck to have Vegas pick him, the smartest play right now is to protect Davidson.

You pretty much have to protect Davidson. Quality defenceman are difficult to find (have a look at next year's UFA list), he's cheap, and young, and would have more of an impact on the team's results than a depth LW'er.

Maroon will be 29 at end of the season, and will have 1 year left on his contract when the expansion draft takes place. He will be an unrestricted free agent in 1 year:

1. Las Vegas may not want to pick a guy who is one year away from unrestricted free agency.
2. After the McDavid extension, the key for the Oilers will be getting overperforming and cheap contracts in the bottom six. Maroon will be (rightfully) seeking a long-term contract and this may be his last opportunity to get one and secure life for his family. The team and player objectives are are complete clash and would be difficult to accommodate. The Oilers can ill afford to pay fair market value and lucrative term once McDavid's extension kicks in.

They just can't.

I don't think it's a hard decision at all. Protect 4 forwards (RNH, Draisaitl, Eberle, Lucic), protect 4D (Larsson, Sekera, Klefbom, Davidson).

I agree you leave Maroon for them to grab because they probably won't. But I think you trade for a RHD that can play PP minutes and protect him as the fourth D. Davidson is another left handed shot and probably never finds his way ahead of Nurse. Trade him if you have to but I think protecting him is a waste.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
I agree you leave Maroon for them to grab because they probably won't. But I think you trade for a RHD that can play PP minutes and protect him as the fourth D. Davidson is another left handed shot and probably never finds his way ahead of Nurse. Trade him if you have to but I think protecting him is a waste.

I don't think depth is a bad thing - one needs to look at the Nurse injury. There will always be help needed on the blueline, and maybe down the road Davidson can become somewhat of a replacement for Sekera.

Worst case, you can move him in a trade for a RHD down the road as his value increases.

Exposing him would be a case of asset mismanagement.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't think depth is a bad thing - one needs to look at the Nurse injury. There will always be help needed on the blueline, and maybe down the road Davidson can become somewhat of a replacement for Sekera.

Worst case, you can move him in a trade for a RHD down the road as his value increases.

Exposing him would be a case of asset mismanagement.

I don't know about you, but I want to make the playoffs this year.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I don't know about you, but I want to make the playoffs this year.

Yeah, it would be a terrible idea to trade him in any context unless we're way...waaaaay out of it. What a morale destoyer that would be. All you have to do is watch his interactions with his teammates. Look at him after every goal he's on the ice for. The guys love him, and he really likes his teammates. If we're close, you keep him and try and make the playoffs.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I watched the game but somehow missed that interview with Maroon. Thanks for posting.
Wow, he really broke down there. Shows what a quality man and father he is.
Well done Mr Maroon. You've been nothing but class since joining the Oil and hey, everybody loves you on this site. Not a lot of players that can say that.
Pouliot or Davidson most likely. Davidson keeps playing like he has the last two he is guaranteed gone. Last year other fan bases noticed him.

Big, fast, smart, and a nice shot. He kinda stands out.
In what world is Davidson big? I think his size is a knock against him. He's not that tough either.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Yeah, it would be a terrible idea to trade him in any context unless we're way...waaaaay out of it. What a morale destoyer that would be. All you have to do is watch his interactions with his teammates. Look at him after every goal he's on the ice for. The guys love him, and he really likes his teammates. If we're close, you keep him and try and make the playoffs.

agree totally.
and if the oilers do make the playoffs, he's the type of player that will do damage.
oilers need maroon far more than any asset he could bring.

and that interview? speaks for itself. wow.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So don't buy into Craig Button's trolling BS. Brandon Davidson, unless he's lights out the rest of this season, isn't on Vegas' Radar at all. There are plenty of teams that will have to expose higher profile defensemen.

You protect Maroon over Davidson, because Maroon is an extremely cheap, productive power forward.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah as much as I love Maroon, I think I'd have to pick Davidson over him. I think he'll be a very good top 4 D and thats more valuable than 1 year left on a top 9 winger. Hopefully Vegas just takes Pouliot or Reinhart or something.

yeah i like maroon as well, would absolutely LOVE to keep him on the team.... but dmen are a lot, LOT, harder to find and retain... when you combine it with davidson's RFA status vs maroon's UFA status, both after next season, well.... i think the answer is pretty obvious to be honest

hopefully las vegas just takes pouliot and we get to keep maroon

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So don't buy into Craig Button's trolling BS. Brandon Davidson, unless he's lights out the rest of this season, isn't on Vegas' Radar at all. There are plenty of teams that will have to expose higher profile defensemen.

You protect Maroon over Davidson, because Maroon is an extremely cheap, productive power forward.

he is only cheap for 2016-17, and then he is a UFA and will cost a lot more (especially if he ends up scoring 30+ points this year and next).... whereas davidson is a RFA and just entering his prime productive years as a dman (he'll be 25 next year).... i like maroon a lot, in fact i think he should be playing on mcdavids wing over lucic, but davidson has more value than maroon does

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
he is only cheap for 2016-17, and then he is a UFA and will cost a lot more (especially if he ends up scoring 30+ points this year and next).... whereas davidson is a RFA and just entering his prime productive years as a dman (he'll be 25 next year).... i like maroon a lot, in fact i think he should be playing on mcdavids wing over lucic, but davidson has more value than maroon does

He does, but as viewed by the league, I have significant trouble seeing that.

I don't see how the Davidson is sincerely picked in the expansion draft with the other guys who will be available and with the lack of available forwards for Vegas.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
If Chia thinks the Oilers can contend for the cup next year, I don't the think Maroon will be made available for the expansion draft. Hard to replace his production at 1.5 million with the Oilers tight to the cap.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
th emost maroon will ask for is 2.5 and he will sacrifice $ for term imo. If we give him 5 @ 2.5 we can keep him long term

McDavid Gilmour

Jun 7, 2016
E-Town
In what world is Davidson big? I think his size is a knock against him. He's not that tough either.

Davidson is listed as 6'2" and 210 lbs which is big in my world. Heavier than Larsson, he is definitely not small. I have never heard anyone say his size is a knock against him until you just mentioned it in this post.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Davidson is listed as 6'2" and 210 lbs which is big in my world. Heavier than Larsson, he is definitely not small. I have never heard anyone say his size is a knock against him until you just mentioned it in this post.
Davidson is not 210 lbs. He looks very skinny compared to last season pre-injury

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

That interview was very, very touching...

But does it seem odd that Patty's family hasn't moved to Edmonton yet, especially with: i) still another year on the contract, ii) full summer to have made it happen, iii) really young kid, so not rooted like a teenager.

Certainly could be due to his girlfriend (job/family/social/etc)... but that's a long time to commit to being away from family. And it doesn't give great confidence that he would want to commit hear long term. Whatever the reason, there is something strong tieing that boy/family to St Louis. Could be Patrick's parents, the GF's job, the boy has a different mother... etc, etc... but one would think StL is high up on Patrick's list once his contract expires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad